Lowering Advice-HELP!!! - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lowering Advice-HELP!!!
Tuesday, March 04, 2008 11:15 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm a total newb that's looking to give his '05 4 Dr Cavalier a little bit of love. I want to drop it a bit (2-2 3/4 inches). I have 17 inch voxx alloy rims and want to bring the wheel well a little closer to the tire. I live in Toronto, Canada where we get some pretty hagred snowfalls so i'm not sure if dumping it that low will affect its handling in the winter or turn it into a snowplow. I need help people. What do the J-Bod experts of the world have to suggest in terms of lowering it. I've heard coilovers (which don't seem the way to go on this car), Koni spring/strut combos, air ride etc... but I have no clue what is the best way to go and where's the best place to get it. Any and all help would be totally appreciated.

Re: Lowering Advice-HELP!!!
Wednesday, March 05, 2008 1:25 AM
since ur looking to go that low but are worried about driving that low in winter i would suggest ground control coilovers and koni yellows.. lots of ppl on here use that combo and swear by it, plus u can always raise the car back to stock height or close to it for the winter and not have to worry about being a snow plow...

------
Wednesday, March 05, 2008 3:41 AM
yea something that low you will only get with coilovers or air ride. you'll need konis or dspecs with coilovers and your looking to spend about 1000 for the whole setup

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 8:57 AM
What I've been told with Coilovers is that if i put them on, after one of our winters, they won' t be too adjustable. I'm just looking to bring the wheel wells closer to the tires to give it a sharper look. A friend of mine suggested 2 3/4 inch but that might be a bit much. What do you guys think of an Eibach spring kit?

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 9:04 AM
I've been on Air for 4 years now, and that is probably the only way I will ever go with suspension on future vehicles. The adjustability is top notch, you can ride slammed then back up to stock height ( or close) with a flip of a switch. And in all honesty, you can get a good used kit for well under $1500.... not too bad in my opinion. It's about as easy as a spring/strut swap also, you can do it in a weekend for sure!!

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 9:57 AM
Bobby Bonner wrote:What I've been told with Coilovers is that if i put them on, after one of our winters, they won' t be too adjustable. I'm just looking to bring the wheel wells closer to the tires to give it a sharper look. A friend of mine suggested 2 3/4 inch but that might be a bit much. What do you guys think of an Eibach spring kit?

whoever told you that is an idiot. if you dont clean the sleeve then yes when you start to move the ring, it will catch debris and make it hard to turn. i have had 2 sets of coils and love them. i also had air but prefer coils better.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 6:38 PM
Thanks guys you've given me a place to start from and a lot to think about. Cheers! I'll be sure to post pics when all is said and done. I've focused more on the audio right now I installed 2 12" MA Audio subs in a sealed box powered by a Poweracoustic 18002ch amp and installed a Blaupunkt 750 watt 4ch to power my JL TR series 6" door and 6X9 rear speakers. I also put in a JVC EXAD Head Unit. So now that the interior is done I want to focus more on the exterior.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search