Strut removal tool - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Strut removal tool
Monday, February 25, 2008 5:06 PM
I've been looking around and I could really use some help. I need to get the nut off of the top of my struts so I can get the spring and mount off. I'm not sure why GM put the nut down inside of a little well that I can't seem to get in, but there it stays. I've seen pictures of a set of sockets that go one in the other to get it out, but I dont know where to buy them. I need to get them fixed quickly and I don't have an impact wrench or want to buy one. If anyone knows where to get the sockets or any other tricks to get them off I would really appreciate it.

Re: Strut removal tool
Monday, February 25, 2008 5:29 PM
Well... does the old strut need to be in good condition? If not just put some vice grips on the shaft of the strut and clamp the piss out of them, then go to town on the top nut with a deep well socket. You will quite possibly damage the strut shaft with some scarring but it will get the @!#$ out.

Monday, February 25, 2008 5:35 PM
impact?
Monday, February 25, 2008 5:51 PM
your using a spring compressing tool right? if the spring is putting pressure on the mount the nut won't likely budge. i'd find an impact as well

Monday, February 25, 2008 6:46 PM
sleepy sunfire wrote:your using a spring compressing tool right? if the spring is putting pressure on the mount the nut won't likely budge. i'd find an impact as well

Actually your better off with the spring pushing on the mount because its helping to hold the strut in not spin. Its easiest to remove the nut with everything together and the car sitting on its wheels. Get the nut off like that then thread it back on by hand and remove it all. Once its all pulled out put the spring compressor on it and remove the nut by hand.

Monday, February 25, 2008 8:26 PM
Assuming I do manage to get it off, how would I go about putting the new one on and torquing it down without destroying it?
Monday, February 25, 2008 9:33 PM
honestly your best bet is using an impact

if thats not available the next best thing is to take a rubber shammy type thing, wrap it around the rod on the strut and put a few pairs of vice grips on it. line them up level put it sideway on the ground and position it so when you tighten it the vice grips spin into the ground. The reason you need multiple pairs of vice grips is because you don't want to put it right on the metal, if you damage it at all and that part compresses into the strut body it will tear up the seal. If you put it on the shammy it wont have quite as much grip and will most likely slip, if you grab it through the shammy with 2-3 pairs it will hold and you will not mess up the strut. If all else fails you can use that same method to get the nut off. Also go ahead and get some PB Blaster penetrating oil, spray the nuts the day before your gonna take it apart.

Monday, February 25, 2008 9:45 PM
Impact wrench. I tried every way I could think of when doing mine. Finally I drove them to a shop to use their impact. lol.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 3:45 AM
lol i must be the only person that never had a problem with it. all you need is a wrench and a socket.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 3:52 PM
StrippedCav98 (Now Quotable) wrote:lol i must be the only person that never had a problem with it. all you need is a wrench and a socket.

x2, but in the few times that I have, I've used a 1/2" drive deep socket (whatever size it is), with a 1/4" drive shallow socket on a 3" extension going through the deep socket. Clamp the vise grip on the big socket, and turn the shaft instead of the other way around. I've also used a strap wrench to hold the shaft, but it doesn't always stay tight. Since I'm using spherical bearings instead of a rubber mount now, I have to use a jamb nut in addition to the first one, so now I never have problems.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 2:22 AM
StrippedCav98 (Now Quotable) wrote:lol i must be the only person that never had a problem with it. all you need is a wrench and a socket.

Nah, there's three of us counting James. I've always loosened them while the strut was still on the car and tightened them when the strut was back on the car. All with a ratchet and deep well.

Friday, February 29, 2008 9:46 AM
I believe loosening the nut while it's still on the car is the recommended way.

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.
Friday, February 29, 2008 11:01 AM
i always loosen mine a bit before lifting the car

Monday, March 03, 2008 12:37 AM
I took the whole assembly off and used spring clamps and used a pair of vices-cripes to hold the top and just muscled it off. it took awhile but it finally came off. there was a lot of cursing for awhile.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search