A question about lowering.... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
A question about lowering....
Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:09 PM
I'm looking at lowering my daily driver.. however I was wondering how much of a drop would be recommended? we can get some decent dumps of snow in the winter and I don't want to be helping out the city as a snow plow..... so I guess this would be more targeted to anyone who has a dropped sunfire/cav that drives in the winter...

Re: A question about lowering....
Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:22 PM
I'd suggest the pro kit and KYB AGXs.

Or, you could go with a coil over and then you could lower in teh summer and raise it up in the winter. Only problem is driving them in winter you'll get some hard to turn coilovers if you don't wash them every other day!

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?
Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:25 PM
why is that?? with the coil overs?.... we don't get much ice build up its more of we have deepish snow for about a day then it all packs down and they grate it...

I would most likely get covers for the coil overs plus I try to wash my car once every week - week 1/2 depending on how cold it is...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:33 PM
Saturday, February 23, 2008 3:54 PM
im lowered on koni reds and eibach sportlines. thats a 1.7 inch drop in front and 2.3 in the rear. were i am from we get winters bad sometimes. never had a problem

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, February 24, 2008 2:13 PM
I've been driving my Sunfire Sedan all winter on AGXs and Pro Kit springs (1.4" drop). This combination rides and handles great in the snow.

Monday, February 25, 2008 3:52 AM
first thing you do is read the faqs to get familiar with the different types of suspension. 2nd thing you do is say how much your looking to spend. from there, we can help you alot more.

Monday, February 25, 2008 11:13 AM
pro kit works good. they dont plow the alley so thats about as low as i can go. my subframe brace scrapes all the time on the snow and ice..

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:17 AM
mine is lowered on koni reds, GC coilovers and eibach springs, plus I have a sub frame brace, in the summer it was awesome but, here in these pics I still had another 2 inches to go but didnt want to go all the way down

and here you can see my sub frame brace and close it is to the ground, unfortunately I did not get to raise my coilovers before winter came so I hit every piece of ice on the road and even drag some, it sucks when you hear it cause it sounds like it is coming through the floor

next year I wont be driving this car in the winter this year was kind of a "had to" thing, it has only seen two winters since new and I will not let it happen again cause it sucks driving this low

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:43 AM
When my car was lowered incorrectly and I had to drive it during the winter it was, like he ^ said, pretty scary at times. You KNOW you're hitting ice/snow, but holy @!#$ does it sound like your car is getting torn apart. If you can afford a drop, you can afford a $500 dollar winter beater. I assure you it's worth it if you're going to drop your car and you get some bad snow.

Think of it this way as well. If you're putting money into your car, you obviously care about it. Do you really want to take the chance that some serious snow conditions will cause you to wreck it?

I'm eventually looking to drop my car on Sportlines/Koni's, but before I do, I'm going to have another car lined up to take the snow beating.

Also Megatron, your car is extremely hot. I have a car that's pretty much the same exact as yours without the rims and the drop, and I was contemplating removing the side moldings. Now I know that I should.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 11:46 AM
thank you and yes by removing them it makes it look much sleeker, plus I also have the toyota marker lights on my fenders now, I didnt want the toyota fenders cause I dont see me spending that much for wider fenders when they arent needed, my fenders are rolled and work great, I just love the look of the amber and silver

sadly here it is now in the winter so ugly it doesnt even look like the same car

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search