Air ride... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Air ride...
Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:56 PM
I was debating about getting air ride, and was wondering like some pros and cons. What do you have to do to get it installed? I heard it eliminates your shocks, strutts and springs.. Also... will it effect handling in a good or bad way? Those are my main concerns as of now... Thanks in advance for help!!

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"

Re: Air ride...
Monday, February 18, 2008 1:40 AM
Pro/con
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=129990&t=129990#129990

Install
http://www.j-body.org/forums/search.php?f=3&search=air+install&globalsearch=0&match=1&date=0&threadtype=1&fldsubject=1

FAQ
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=115869&t=115869#115869

The install may be different in your case though. From the looks of your profile, you have a second gen. The rear spring is between the frame and trailing arm (perfect spot for a bag), front shock has a mount for the tie-rod.

See here:
http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/air-ride-t77849,highlight,air.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, February 18, 2008 1:47 AM

Monday, February 18, 2008 8:01 AM
Well, I went through all of those, but none said anything about getting rid of shocks, strutts, ect. Oh yeah, it might help if you knew, its going on an 89 sunbird LE. Thanks!!!

Monday, February 18, 2008 8:15 AM
are you trying to get rid of them all together for the front and rear? yellow and esb did the rears with no struts but it was a complete custom setup.

Monday, February 18, 2008 8:30 AM
All im wanting is just a basic, simple air ride setup, i was just asking if you were supposed to get rid of the shocks and strutts, because one of my friends told me the bags take the place of them...

Monday, February 18, 2008 8:38 AM
depends. you can do anything you want really with bags. alot of truck do away with the struts and run straigh bags. for our cars they dont make a setup like that.

Monday, February 18, 2008 8:48 AM
Well, im looking at any of the kits on the link below, as i am sponsored by them. Do those kits look okay? What would be easier, keeping the shocks and strutts or not?? Also, would air ride effect handling any?? Thanks again!!!

https://host425.ipowerweb.com/~thecusto/store/catalog/index.php/cPath/22?osCsid=80262ae9ab7b6a9a8bb7046fe8632cbf

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:00 AM
I believe you have to run struts up front in our cars. Check out the airlift easystreet kit to get an idea. On my 69' 1/2 ton checy pick-up that im baggin, im just replacing the coil springs with bags.

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:14 AM
Do those kits look good on that link? Im hoping theyll be ok, as i can get the kit cheap with sponsorship.... So basically, i would lose the spring, but keep the shocks and strutts? I just want to take out what is required to be taken out....

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:45 AM
those kits will not work. its not as simple as removing the spring and replacing it with a bag. those are just bags to make a custom setup

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:48 AM

Your going to need ^^^those^^^ for the front. Its a strut bag and can be found at Suicidedoors.com. Any of your sponsor's kits should work as long as you get the strut bags for the front and shocks for the rear. You do have to remove your springs and struts and no you cannot but a regular bag on a strut, it wont work. There isn't a hole in the bag for the strut to go through. Your also going to need brackets welded on in the rear to mount the bags.

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:52 AM
how much did you pay for this sponsorship?

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:58 AM
I didnt pay anything for sponsorship. I have a car club that I now am up to 9 sponsors for the whole club. So if I bought this air ride kit, it would work? There are some shops in town that could put it on, as i am lost on how to put it on... but would using a kit like this effect handling? handling is a big issue, really the only reason im wanting air ride is the adjustability of it, as im going to have a body kit... protect it a little...

Monday, February 18, 2008 10:00 AM
the link you post will not work, period. you need a strut bag combo bottom line. unless you feel like paying a ridicious amount of money for a shop to custom fab something for a car nearly 20 years old. get a strut bag made for your car and bolt it in. handling is ok but not as good as coilovers

Monday, February 18, 2008 10:03 AM
Alright... does anyone know where to get that assembly?? It is an 89 sunbird LE, i can provide any more information needed.... Thanks...

Monday, February 18, 2008 10:20 AM
thats an easystreet setup. i doubt they make anything like that for your car. try suicidedoors.com

Monday, February 18, 2008 10:23 AM
Well, the only thing i found was a universal strutt kit.. would any of these work??? Thanks.

http://suicidedoors.com/StrutBagKitsUniversal.php

Monday, February 18, 2008 10:38 AM
David Ortlieb wrote:Well, I went through all of those, but none said anything about getting rid of shocks, strutts, ect. Oh yeah, it might help if you knew, its going on an 89 sunbird LE. Thanks!!!

This is going to sound harsh, but I find it hard to believe you went through all the links when the one to V6Z24 has a link to a company that sells a kit for your car.

http://airbagit.com/product_info.php?products_id=3796

Monday, February 18, 2008 10:40 AM
I went through the ones, i might have overlooked that one. But i sent an email to the guy that runs the place i was looking at them before, and he said he could get me the strutts, so i think ill get them off of him, as they will be ALOT cheaper.. would i have to have the same for the back only shocks, or could i just use bags there??? Thanks again.

Monday, February 18, 2008 10:43 AM
judging from the looks of things, you can use bags (based on current spring position)

Monday, February 18, 2008 10:45 AM
Alright, so i can use bags in back, air strutts in front, and ill still have shocks in back, no regular strutts in front, and no springs, right?? Thanks.

Monday, February 18, 2008 10:47 AM
right

Monday, February 18, 2008 10:55 AM
Alright, will the air strutts just bolt right up?? I know the bags will need some modification to get on, but i wasent sure about the strutts, thanks.

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:15 PM
dont know how i missed this thread but yea you can use bags in the back heres a pic of mine

Monday, February 18, 2008 4:18 PM
Alright, i know the sunbird would be alot different than that cavi, but is it hard to get the bags on like that??? Also, would the strutts bolt right up? Is there anyway i could get something that would just bolt up for the backs as well? Thanks again!!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search