Total brake failure - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Total brake failure
Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:28 PM
I have a 03 cavalier 5speed. First abs light came on and soon after abs stop working on the car but brakes still worked. I bleed the lines to see if maybe air is causing the abs unit not to work anymore. After doing so i loss all brake pressure when the car is off you can pump the brakes up and hold them and the pedal will go to the floor it wont hold pressure at all. While driving apply brakes and nothing happens no pressure at all while car is on only at a dead stop u can put the brakes on and it will prevent it from coasting thats all it wont stop the car i had to use the ebrake to stop. I have fluid coming out at all 4 bleeder valves when i bleed the system and also the fluid level is dropping alot after taking it out on test runs. i have 3 inches of snow in my driveway and i see no fluid leaking out onto the snow. I thinking maybe brake booster or master cylinder or and possible need abs unit as well. Any info will greatly be appreciated.

Re: Total brake failure
Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:38 PM
This is one of those situations where I'm going to say: have a shop look at it.

Monday, February 18, 2008 6:48 AM
Did you close the bleeder screws?

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:49 AM
look at the brake line that runs under the master cylinder. i had one rub on the master cylinder enough to wear a hole in it.

Monday, February 18, 2008 1:11 PM
Brake fluid doesn't dissappear. It has to go somewhere and you'll see it (except for the very odd fluid drinking booster, but that is pretty rare). At least you've narrowed it down to a leak somewhere. Brake fluid is pretty viscous, and unless you actually see it leaking out, you probably won't see a puddle in snow, since its already drained through by the time you look. You need to park it somewhere without snow (IE- pavement or concrete), pump them a few times and look underneath. If nothing shows up right away, let it sit. The puddle may not form directly under the leak, but you will be able to see where its coming from at that point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, February 18, 2008 1:11 PM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search