Getting lower - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Getting lower
Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:15 PM
Hey I just bagged my sunfire sunday from start to finish it took me and my boyfriend 9 hours with no breaks. It was a lot of fun to do. But my question is what can i do to get lower, especially in the front. I got easystreet struts, viar 380c, 4-gallon pancake tank, 3/8" SMC valves. I need some suggestions. I have 205/40/17. let me know what i should do.

Re: Getting lower
Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:57 AM
thats a small tire. only thing you can really do is start hacking up the front and remove whatever is in the way of you going lower.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:41 AM
Stephanie Smith wrote:Hey I just bagged my sunfire sunday from start to finish it took me and my boyfriend 9 hours with no breaks. It was a lot of fun to do. But my question is what can i do to get lower, especially in the front. I got easystreet struts, viar 380c, 4-gallon pancake tank, 3/8" SMC valves. I need some suggestions. I have 205/40/17. let me know what i should do.

First, next time you get tires, jump up to a 215/45 at least. That tire is way to small on that rim for our cars.

Second, I'm not extremely familiar with this, but I remember seeing a thread a while back about flipping the strut mounts to the top of the tower instead of the underside. The person who did it was able to gain quite a bit of drop that way. My only concern with it is that you will be putting extra stress on the bolts themselves. If you do it, I would make sure you have grade 8 bolts for it. I would try to see if you can find them on here and ask how it has been since they did it.

Nice looking car from what I saw in your reg pic. Bagged non-kitted cars are so clean looking.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:46 AM
^^ true i forgot about that. it was yellow22 that did it. by flipping the mount he gained about 1/2" lower but i believe he was using stock mounts, not the easystreet mounts.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:23 AM
i did try the fliped mount but i was using the easystreet mounts. the only problem is that the mount then hits your hood. so i left it normal. i am also running a 205/40/17. i will show you some pics here of how low mine is

this is with the mount fliped you can see how much the hood is raised. so i fliped it back. i have a reverse flip hood thats why it was able to lift in the back.

and then heres a pic of the other side with the normal mounting

and here is what we are talking about fliping the mount

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:09 PM
That looks great. why didn't you just modify the hood? It seems like it wouldn't be that hard to make it work? Also i forgot to take out the plastic inner fenders, but will that let me get any lower? What keeps the front from dropping any lower?

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:03 PM
the struts are to long. and the only way to modify the hood is to drill a hole in it. and have holes in the hood and thats not good for me at least.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:55 PM
I have a pro kit and had it lowered more by removing the strut mounts. Is flipping the mount better than removing the strut mounts?thanks...
Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:43 AM
ryan99 wrote:I have a pro kit and had it lowered more by removing the strut mounts. Is flipping the mount better than removing the strut mounts?thanks...

what?

Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:21 AM
ryan99 wrote:I have a pro kit and had it lowered more by removing the strut mounts. Is flipping the mount better than removing the strut mounts?thanks...

yeah for real what you talking about. how the hell did you mount the struts with no mount

Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:25 AM
StrippedCav98 (Now Quotable) wrote:

what?

sorry, I mean the mount bearings. actually, I didn't know the mechanic remove it(he actually didn't know it had before, stupid ha?) I found out when I had install my kybs and decided not to put anymore(don't worry, am about to order teins with konis). with the prokit and mount bearings, I can't get the lowered height I want, and I need a comfortable ride.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:29 AM
im still lost. the bearing are inside the mount. disassembling them and removing them wont make you go lower also its going to make it very hard for your strut to move.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:39 AM
the mount is there, but without the bearings(am using stock mounts) so the spring are actually in the fender underside..

the three parts below are the ones I remove..
Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:06 PM

Great, so now people make their car lower by leaving parts out of the suspension assembly. What will they think of next.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:48 PM
LOL!!!!!

This forum is slowly replaced the j-body vs. forum one day at the time.

I honestly find more comedy in here than off-topic and AG on given days.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:42 PM
this was a decent thread till someone chimes in saying i leave parts off my suspension to get lower lol

Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:11 PM
I'd rather drive around with a car full of fat chicks than to remove crucial parts to go lower...

All joking aside though... yellow, your car is hot dude.

Friday, February 15, 2008 6:56 AM
yellow22 wrote:this was a decent thread till someone chimes in saying i leave parts off my suspension to get lower lol

I am honestly asking about the flipped mount morons,I know what I did was wrong and it's temporary only, am not actually stupidly suggesting it, that is why I am asking about it and told you people about my situation,that's why sometimes I don't visit this forum or listen to this people because of people who are self proclaimed "know- it- all". When you are actually new in modifying your car, it's a trial and error thing, that's why you search and sometimes you still get it wrong...look at you car dude, it's hot yes, but what about the hood, you got it wrong before but you did something so it will work. that's the same thing with us, only sometimes you don't understand what we are doing..

one more thing, all of us started with stupid things, so don't bash all of us new in setting up our car, one point in time you were also there...
Friday, February 15, 2008 10:33 AM
i was never at the point to take things out of my suspension. i was guess i was just raised better than that with some common sense. as for my hood issuse we thought is was gonna hit but no one was sure so i tested it out and let everyone know. spydarwizard was the first one to do the fliped mounts but he did not have a hood on his car. so as you can see i tested it out didnt drive it like that because i knew it was stupid and didnt work

Friday, February 15, 2008 10:36 AM
ryan99 wrote:
yellow22 wrote:this was a decent thread till someone chimes in saying i leave parts off my suspension to get lower lol

I am honestly asking about the flipped mount morons,I know what I did was wrong and it's temporary only, am not actually stupidly suggesting it, that is why I am asking about it and told you people about my situation,that's why sometimes I don't visit this forum or listen to this people because of people who are self proclaimed "know- it- all". When you are actually new in modifying your car, it's a trial and error thing, that's why you search and sometimes you still get it wrong...look at you car dude, it's hot yes, but what about the hood, you got it wrong before but you did something so it will work. that's the same thing with us, only sometimes you don't understand what we are doing..

one more thing, all of us started with stupid things, so don't bash all of us new in setting up our car, one point in time you were also there...

this goes to all.....
Friday, February 15, 2008 10:54 AM
yellow22 wrote:i was never at the point to take things out of my suspension. i was guess i was just raised better than that with some common sense. as for my hood issuse we thought is was gonna hit but no one was sure so i tested it out and let everyone know. spydarwizard was the first one to do the fliped mounts but he did not have a hood on his car. so as you can see i tested it out didnt drive it like that because i knew it was stupid and didnt work

trial and error right??well, i'll stop here, no sense anymore in getting advices from people here.too bad I love cavaliers....

Friday, February 15, 2008 10:55 AM
ryan99 wrote:
yellow22 wrote:i was never at the point to take things out of my suspension. i was guess i was just raised better than that with some common sense. as for my hood issuse we thought is was gonna hit but no one was sure so i tested it out and let everyone know. spydarwizard was the first one to do the fliped mounts but he did not have a hood on his car. so as you can see i tested it out didnt drive it like that because i knew it was stupid and didnt work

trial and error right??well, i'll stop here, no sense anymore in getting advices from people here.too bad I love cavaliers....

i think the point he was getting at is he did it and looked at it then changed it back. he never got in his car and drove that way.

Friday, February 15, 2008 11:08 AM
the point is there were times that we tested things and don't know exactly what might happened, yes, the difference for us is he did not drove it around. from what I experienced, I never actually knew that I did not have it on until I changed my struts, and left it that way since there's no difference(from my experience) I am not actually suggesting it, I am asking about the flipped mount(since i know mine was wrong), but since guys here are morons laughing on newbies. you guys are totally a turn off, I've been browsing this forum for a time now and all I see is bashing each other,instead of giving them support. I just lost my respect on you guys..I never read any post here without any negative comments or bashing....
Friday, February 15, 2008 11:21 AM
i never bashed you on the idea. i just said i was puzzled at it because i didnt see how it worked.

Friday, February 15, 2008 4:17 PM
StrippedCav98 (Now Quotable) wrote:
ryan99 wrote:

i think the point he was getting at is he did it and looked at it then changed it back. he never got in his car and drove that way.

that is what i meant thank you striped you put it in easier terms lol

and i was not trying to bash you at first i just dont get what would make you take a mount apart. thats a pretty cruical part of your suspension

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search