Vette c5 and camaro rotors? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Vette c5 and camaro rotors?
Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:05 PM
Does anyone know if the rotors on the C5 vette is the same as the camaro rotor? I ask because i will be doing the NWF-body brake swap again and i happen to have a set of C5 calipers and rotors. I know for a fact the calipers are the same, Just not sure about the rotors.

Re: Vette c5 and camaro rotors?
Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:36 PM
is this a serious question? You're asking if a 13" rotor is the same as a 12" rotor?

now, you might be asking something about thickness possibly......

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:42 PM
Hrmmm, I did not realize that they were 13". That being said then i will assume the caliper is the sme but the bracket is longer to push the caliper out to clear 13".

Well here is another stupid question. Can we use the 13" rotor and the C5 calipers and brackets just as we would the 12" setup?

Im sure the answer is NO but it would be nice to put some free parts to use

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:48 PM
I see the camaro guys can upgrade tot he 13" setup. Guess Ill dig deeper and see if we can. I need to get back in the game anyways

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:00 PM
i did this research before, and it turns out that the bolt holes are spaced SLIGHTLY different (read as: it wont fit, they dont line up), and there's a difference in bolt size too (but, I think its the same size as the N. or F. or W. or whatever uses the smaller bolts vs the bigger bolts, i dont f'n remember anymore). The beauty is that the N and W and F bracket bolt holes line up, but Y doesn't line up with F, so math tells me N won't line up with Y. or W.

regardless, the C5 calipers are aluminum I think, while the Fbody are not. Also, the C5 calipers are supposedly stiffer than the Fbodys. But, the bolt holes are different. But, you can probably use the Fbody bracket with the C5 caliper. So find some Fbody brackets I guess.

I say you stick with the NWF (and Y ) setup, unless you wanna try to come up with a new 13" Y setup, but then I don't think the N spindle will work.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:55 PM
Agreed, Ill stick with whats proven to work!

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 11:06 PM
From the looks of it, upgrading from the F-body brakes to the Y-body would be the same for our swap, as it is for the F-body guys. The only question is if the holes in the Y-body rotors line up with our 5x115 hub....

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 11:43 PM
Ill check and see very soon. My brother is bringing the C5 brakes up when we paint his new c6 Z06 monday. Ill test fit the rotors on an N-body hub.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:48 AM
I wish I could remember the forum. I think it's the LSX forum, but there is a how-to on upgrading the F-body to the Vette 13" brakes, and it's not bolt-on. It involves cutting the mounting tabs off and bolting on a plate with new mounting tabs. From the look of it, without some major machining to the spindles, it wouldn't work on our cars. The plate mounts from the back of the spindle, not the front.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:53 AM
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0602gm_third_gen_fbody_c5_brake_upgrade/photo_02.html

click that and look closely. notice that there's a spacer bracket for the Y bracket, AND if you look closely the holes do not line up (vertically). closest you'll get is Fbracket using Y caliper on F/W rotor. But not NYY unless you do a new plate.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 6:49 AM
That's different than the kits I've seen. I found the link to the instructions for one of the kits I was talking about: http://www.umiperformance.com/page.php?page=c5install

The one you posted looks like it could be made to work, but I'm not sure I'd necessarily trust that little plate.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:03 AM
little plate? have you seen how 99% of other brake kits are made?

regardless, a setup like that wouldn't work with any of our spindles, and you'd revert to needing to do machining and using a "little plate" anyway.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:12 PM
Yes, I've seen brake kits with plates like that. However, the better ones usually have a more substantial bracket. Call me silly, but I like more metal where there is stress.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 6:01 PM
But you're comparing different materials silly.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 8:59 PM
LOL.......in the past I've used sheet metal(~0.040" - i forget the gauge) to mount my calipers on the SAE race cars I've built which were inboard axle brakes(one caliper on the rear axle located at the differential) which would lock-up both slicks on the back .......works like a champ!!!
Thursday, February 14, 2008 9:12 PM
you better not think outside of the box or someone will be after you so quick.... back in teh box.

Friday, February 15, 2008 12:17 AM
Oh noes I is out of the box?

Friday, February 15, 2008 12:41 AM
@!#$, you broke the box a long long time ago. Heh heh.

Friday, February 15, 2008 6:04 PM
i stepped on a box today and it broke, does that count?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search