Strange problem with a hub? PLEASE HELP - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Strange problem with a hub? PLEASE HELP
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:57 AM
I have a very strange problem with my car. For some reason my drivers side hub bearing "seems" to be growling or howling but Im not sure if thats the case. I have changed the bearing yesterday at the mechanic but the sound has not gone away. The symptoms of a hub bearing are there for example, when I put load on the right side, the sound instantly goes away and when I put load on the left (turn to the right) the sound gets louder.

Do I have a defected bearing, was it installed incorrectly (the mechanic did install a metal ring or seal that came with the hub [behind] the steering knuckle, is that proper?)

Re: Strange problem with a hub? PLEASE HELP
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:06 AM
When I had a front wheel bearing go bad on me, I was actually completely fooled as to which side was the problem. The side that needed replacing actually got quieter when it was loaded up in a corner -- despite the age-old advice that suggested the opposite should happen. Regardless, the mechanic should have been able to diagnose it easily while the car was in the air. If he was convinced the old bearing was bad, it's possible the new one is defective.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:29 AM
yes the mechanic did diagnose the car up in the air while it was moving, and the guy said the one I replaced is actually quieter than the the passenger side (which was not replaced) one, but im still tooo CONFUSED!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:43 AM
anyone? could it be the spider gears howling?

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:57 AM
Try jacking the front of the car up and see if you can move the wheel in and out towards the engine bay (so, when facing the wheel, push and pull on it). If it moves, you know you have a defective bearing.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 3:40 PM
I'm sure he means up and down

Caution: Redneck Posting
Wednesday, May 16, 2007 3:45 PM
VanquisherOfTheVariance (Zach) wrote:move the wheel in and out

The Evil J wrote:I'm sure he means up and down

I always figured it would be a lateral wobble back and forth.

So.. um... yeah. If the wheel does anything beside turn, that might be a problem.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Friday, May 18, 2007 10:16 AM
Geeky wrote:
VanquisherOfTheVariance (Zach) wrote:move the wheel in and out

The Evil J wrote:I'm sure he means up and down

I always figured it would be a lateral wobble back and forth.

So.. um... yeah. If the wheel does anything beside turn, that might be a problem.

Side to side is a problem with the tierods, or steering rack its self.

Caution: Redneck Posting
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search