Hawk HP Plus?? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hawk HP Plus??
Monday, May 14, 2007 9:03 AM
Just wondering if anyone had HP Plus, NOT HPS for their front pads? I have searched everywhere and I could have sworn that they used to exist for us. I need them for some upcoming track events where the HPS's will get smoked. Any info would be great.

"If you aren't shifting, then you certainly aren't driving!"

Re: Hawk HP Plus??
Wednesday, May 16, 2007 8:37 AM
No one else ever have these? Well how many of you have tried the EBC yellostuffs on the track? I'm not too worried about street use, just track usage.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 8:49 AM
I've heard good things about the Hawk's but mixed reviews on the EBC's, though I've never used either one on my car. Axxis Ultimates are my pad of choice.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 12:06 PM
Do you use those for track days or just autox? Also, do you have a good place to buy them?
The HPS work ok on autox, but lately I've felt the need for more braking. The high speed track usage would fry the HPS for me.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 1:25 PM
The Ultimates are excellent for autox, but will fade under track usage. They are about the equivalent of the HPS. The cheapest place to get them is actually from the store on Nopi.com

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 1:44 PM
some ppl have liked the hp's from what i've read, yet i also remember them saying during cold on the street they're iffy, and also pretty dusty.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Wednesday, May 16, 2007 2:20 PM
Viper98912 wrote:some ppl have liked the hp's from what i've read, yet i also remember them saying during cold on the street they're iffy, and also pretty dusty.

All racing compounds are like that. They need heat to work effectively and dust like a mofo.

You may want to look into some bobcats, I've heard a lot of good things about them.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 2:30 PM
I just found out that Hawk does not, nor will not make HP plus for our cars. So I'm sol for now. These pads are supposed to be temporary for me until I can get a big brake kit.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:59 PM
Get Bobcats, you'll pay about the same as you would for premium pads. I've got brembo sports and like them a lot more than my HPS pads initial bite is much better and they have a good linear response on the road.

Don't know if it makes a difference but there also the stock pads on the z06 vette.

Why do you think the HPS pads won't hold up? I'm pretty sure they should be more than good enough, be sure you also have slotted rotors. I can garuntee you that if they survive autox they can survive a track day, braking is much closer together and just as hard as on the track. On a track you at least have long stretches where your not braking. I've autocrossed on 3rd gear courses with tight turns on a 85+day and never had a problem with brake fade. Also makes sure your using at least dot4 spec brake fluid.

-Chris

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 6:22 PM
I didn't have problems with fade in my Ultimates when using slotted rotors, but they can fade on plain faced rotors. It does get close to 100 here in the summer at some races (and a humid temp at that). The HPS are very similar to mine, so I would imagine I could get a little fade with them too.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 8:32 AM
Has anyone tried the EBC Yellowstuff or the Porterfield R4? These are supposed to be a really aggressive race pads. I'd just like some feedback from J owners and not from other car types. I'm not too worried about street with these. I guess I could just swap them at the track.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 9:04 AM
Feedback from other car types is completely relevant to our cars though. A brake compound will act similarly on our cars as it does on others. If given the choice between EBC's and Porterfields, I would pick Porterfields. I'm just not a fan of EBC.

Look into the Bobcats though. I've heard lots of people that are happy with them.

Monday, May 21, 2007 6:09 AM
Biggest complaint I've heard of EBC greens is that they like to powdercoat your wheels in dust. A race pad also won't last as long.

-Chris

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 7:47 PM
Once you go Hawk, you'll never go back.

New Picture comming this summer.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search