A little help w/ understanding swaybar sizes. - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
A little help w/ understanding swaybar sizes.
Sunday, May 13, 2007 6:44 PM
I've got a paragraph below copied from the Suspension FAQ on the site. It's a great read, but I just wanted to clarify a point. Which front bar would a 2005 Sunfire with the FE1 package have on it? The way I read it, I should have a "24mm stock FE3 bar (stock on 2003-2004)". Please lemme know if I'm way off here.

Thanks.

Swaybar choices

FRONT

-18mm stock FE1 bar (stock on 95-99)*
-22mm stock FE2 bar (stock on 2000-2002)*
-24mm stock FE3 bar (stock on 2003-2004)*
-25.4mm addco bar
-25.4mm eibach bar (-sold in combo with their 22mm rear)
-26mm mantapart.com bar
local place = custom bar

****kinda like the 3rd gen is still a 3rd gen from 95-04, but have series 1 (95-99), series 2 (00-02), and series 3 (03-04).... the suspension of "FE2" has a series 1 (00-02) and series 2 (03-04) ....the 2000 - 2002cars still run FE2 style 22mm front bars, the 03+ cars just have a 2mm upgrade.******
Part Numbers for Clamps and misc stuff if you car did not have a front bar stock

Re: A little help w/ understanding swaybar sizes.
Monday, May 14, 2007 1:11 PM
anybody?
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 5:46 AM
Easiest way is to just take of one of your front tires and look/measure yourself.

But you should be able to see something at least if you peak up under behind the tire.
-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:11 AM
If you look at your spare tire cover in your trunk it should have a whole list of RPO codes for your vehicle. You'll obviously be looking for the FE---- code. If it doesn't have the codes..best bet would be to have the dealership print you the RPO list by using your VIN. Most likely being an 05 it would be the FE3.
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:12 AM
"Which front bar would a 2005 Sunfire with the FE1 package have on it?"

Didn't read this part..still kind of early. If it has the FE1 I would think it would still be 18mm??
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 12:13 PM
So I went out and measured it, and got a reading of 19mm. So taking undercoating in the equation, I have an 18mm bar. The part about the write-up that confused me was thisstock on 2003-2004)*. I guess it means something different.

Thanks for the input.
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 12:50 PM
That's still decent.

You can add to the sticky.

You have a few options as to how you wanna set up your ride.

'So that just leaves suspension wise: rear sway bar, sfb (or k-brace if manual) , shocks and springs or full coilovers, front sb, rear sb, a arm bushings
You're about 1/7th the way there

-M

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 2:23 PM
Well I got the front and rear strut braces on already. I have an Addco rear sway bar on order (although I know it's not highly recomended w/ a FE1 front bar). I'll see how it handles and go from there. Oh yeah, and I've also shed the 14 inchers for a set of Z-24 wheels.

Btw, when you said add to the sticky, do I just post under that topic?
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 5:34 PM
I think you have to get it approved by the admin.

-M

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search