How are your coilovers? (for people that have them) - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How are your coilovers? (for people that have them)
Saturday, October 21, 2006 1:30 PM
I've heard that coilovers are pretty stiff and really hard on bumps so I was just wondering what set ups you guys have and if the ride is really stiff and rough or is it relatively comfortable?

Re: How are your coilovers? (for people that have them)
Saturday, October 21, 2006 2:00 PM
they are bt you get used to it. i mean it is harsher than stock but nothing you cant acclimate to

I may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
Saturday, October 21, 2006 2:09 PM
I just hate feeling like my car is gonna fall apart or break in half lol

Saturday, October 21, 2006 2:47 PM
well its gonna....i jsut learned to love it....excpet when you hit a pothole...then i remebr how bad it is....lol

Saturday, October 21, 2006 5:39 PM
well it doesnt ride harsh. get proper coils and proper struts and it rides great

Saturday, October 21, 2006 5:40 PM
harsh as oppesed to nice soft stock struts and srpings.....maybe harsh isnt the wrod i should use

Saturday, October 21, 2006 6:24 PM
people get the wrong impression of them because they throw them on stock struts which makes them seem stiff. you also have to understand that coils are liner (sp) springs not progessive springs. cheap coils have high spring rates which make them very stiff. if you get proper coils with the proper struts, they ride great

Saturday, October 21, 2006 6:37 PM
What would you reccomend for the smoothest (least stiff/hard) ride?

Saturday, October 21, 2006 6:47 PM
all depends they all cost differnet amounts of money from 700-1500. whatever you choose. a good quality setup is going to run you around 700 new which would be the tein basics or you could get ground controls and koni yellows

Saturday, October 21, 2006 11:20 PM
tein basics and ground controls would be the coilovers right? lol sorry I've only dealt with eibach and kyb, and koni yellows are the struts. Don't those need modification done to them?

Sunday, October 22, 2006 6:12 AM
tein basics come with everything preassembled except for mount. it comes w/ the coils and struts, ready to bolt in. you just need the mounts

ground controls would be coilovers and koni yellows would be the struts. yes the struts for the front have to be modded a bit but it was one of the most popular suspension choices and it rides great

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 3:34 AM
and if you want adjustability get the tien super street's with the edfc

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers
Tuesday, October 24, 2006 3:41 AM
John VanCuran wrote:and if you want adjustability get the tien super street's with the edfc

all coilovers are adjustable and so are the struts thats control the damping. yellows and dspecs are both adjustable

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 2:50 PM
rksport prostreets here, they suck immensly, looks good but ride like u have no suspension

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 7:50 AM
gravana powergrip

lots of adjustability, so theres a big chance they can ride like crap if you don't have it set properly

but after messing around for a couple days with spring preload, I'm happy. The car rides smooth, altho bumps are a bit nasty. It handles amazingly.

I'm positive if I messed around witht he spring preload some more I could get it to ride smooth as butter and still handle awesome.

Also, I can control my ride height completely independent of spring preload. So my car is about as low as you would want to go while still maintaining full suspension travel so i won't blow out the dampers prematurely. Its a pretty sweet system once you get it set right.

When I hit the race track, a few clicks of the suspension and the rear is stiff and the front is soft for some good launches and zero wheel hop.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search