Loud pop in the rear... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Loud pop in the rear...
Friday, September 01, 2006 6:56 PM
Whenever I back up and apply the brake, there is a loud poping sound, and a very very slight jerk. After I'm done backing out and put it in drive and have to apply the brake again, it pops in the back again. But it wont pop again until I put the car in reverse and brake. I am not a suspension or brake guru so I have no clue what it could be. I'm guessing it could be my blown struts, maybe its time to change my rear brakes, or could it be bushings? I have a 97 Cavalier Z24 2.4 Automatic. Any ideas what I should look at or for? Thanks ahead of time.

My car has two speeds, fast and faster.

Re: Loud pop in the rear...
Saturday, September 02, 2006 2:33 AM
ahh one of the many problems i also have with my car,

after the car sitting for a while, ill back out my driveway and apply the break and BAM.. a loud clunk.... ill finish reversing out throw it in 1st.... take off to the first stop sign ... apply the break again... and another bam clunk pow... i have no clue what it is but im soo sick of the problems with my j from my guess... id have to say its somethign with the drums.. maybe a broken shoe or sping in the drums i dk though im about to go but a 2007 VW Rabbit and say screw all this
Saturday, September 02, 2006 5:21 AM
does your brake grab any when your driving down the road? might want to pull the drum off and look at the wheel cylinder. It might be bad and leaking down causing the brakes to grab.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Saturday, September 02, 2006 6:59 PM
No it don't grab, I have no problems what so ever after the first sound. I can't explain it, but I have a feeling it has to do with my rear breaks. Before this winter I planned on changing all my breaks anyways.

My car has two speeds, fast and faster.

Sunday, September 03, 2006 4:24 PM
possibly a strut mount? popping with the shifting of the car's weight? mine did it when my rear mounts were gone.. going from reverse to forward, that cuased the back end to lift up from weight distribution and took pressure off the mount, and when going reverse, back end sinking from wieght..

just a thought.. if u cant hear where its coming from, fold ur rear seat forward and see if it gets louder.. if it did with the seat down... its definatly a mount!

15.1@90.34mph
Sunday, September 03, 2006 5:31 PM
Go buy a can of brake cleaner and hose those babys down.
I know I sound like a broke record, but it works usually.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search