Unwanted attention. - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Unwanted attention.
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:01 PM
Let's face it, atleast half of my mods are cosmetic in nature. But, I've got this squeeking that isn't attracting the right kind of attention.

It's a brake squeek from the right front. Sometimes it occurs while driving and stops under brakeing. Other times it occurs durring brakeing only. I need suggestions for fixing the problem please. Something low budget with simple hand tools is best. Thank you.

Re: Unwanted attention.
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:04 PM
use anti-squeal grease bought at any auto parts store

make sure the " skweeker prongs" arent touching the rotor (located on the pad)

brake cleaner

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:05 PM
Thanks Event. I knew you'd come through for me.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:38 PM
how old are your pads? if you take the pads off and sand down the edge of the friction surface with sandpaper alot of times it will help with squeeky brakes. Not sure if thats makes sence or not but instead of a 90 degree angle on the edges of the pad just slightly sand it down to a rounded edge, just very slightly.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:44 PM
I understand what you are saying. But it is intermittant, probably environmental since the humidity changes alot here from day to day. What I'm saying is that I doubt it's the edge of the pad.

By the way; the pads are Centric Posiquiet pads with Centric slotted disks. got them from Pat at Stopit about a year ago (15k miles)

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:17 PM
Ultra cheap pads squeak. Course some high performance pads have squeaking problems too.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:23 PM
I didn't think Posiquiets were "ultra cheap."

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 5:36 AM
Your rotors could be glazed as well... just look at your pads, see if the squealer tab is touching the rotor, look at the thickness of your pads, check your rotor out for cracks since they are slotted, and go from there.

1983 Camaro Z28
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:46 PM
Im guessing since your rotors are slotted your pads are finished

They tend to eat pads faster

Im having the same issue with my pads and will be changing them

Thursday, August 31, 2006 3:01 PM
Most shops offer free brake inspections. I know Canadian tires do. Take a look, and if you don't see anything, then take it to a shop?

I'd check the rotor and pads first though.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 3:46 PM
Rotors and pads look fine. Atleast without removeing them. I don't have the tools. The tabs have about 1/4 inch between them and the rotor.

To clarify, the squeek is a pulsing noise only occuring durring LIGHT brakeing and NO brakeing. Regular and hard stopping do not cause the noise. Also, the noise dosn't occur until the brakes have warmed up some durring driving. Cold brakes are not squeeking.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:18 PM
I know my slotted rotors cut my brake pad life in HALF, easy, so you very well might need some new pads. Get them checked out, only then will you know for sure.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:25 PM
when i put my ebc greens on my alero i accidently got them on backwards and they squeelwed like hell

Friday, September 01, 2006 10:30 AM
Its your pads making a hair of contact with the rotor. Try using Disc Brake Quiet on the pad backing, its a silicone based vibration dampener. It worked when i had the same problem with my brakes as well

Freakin morons.... When will they learn. Hold On Not Done Accelerating
Thursday, September 14, 2006 1:43 PM
Make sure the slides are allowing the pad to move back and forth with ease. Sounds like the pad is sticking to the rotor just a tiny bit - just enough to cause a squeak.

This was happening to my fiance's Mazda 6's rear pads. Turns out the paint on the factory pads was causing them to jam into the slides. A little bit of grinding the paint off and they worked good as new.

Check out my Part Out List!! Great Prices !! http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/detail/52925/

Thursday, September 14, 2006 2:27 PM
grease the caliper bolts....take them out clean them and regrease them.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search