need alignment, useless with broken strut mounts? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
need alignment, useless with broken strut mounts?
Saturday, August 12, 2006 7:55 AM
My 2000 Z has a problem with the springs turning at the bottom (and I hear they're supposed to turn at the top?) when I turn the wheels far in either direction at parking lot speeds. When I start to turn they shuffle a little and then POP (sounds like BUNGGG) back into place... I've been told this was due to seized or broken strut mounts which apparently is common with Cavaliers?

Does this sound correct to anyone? AND

I need a front end alignment badly... if this is the case, is the car going to go out of alignment really fast? I do want to buy s-techs and KYB AGXs but if I were to buy new strut mounts (about $80 each) in addition the bill is really building up, so if I can wait to do the suspension and just get an alignment for now I want to do that. But I don't want to throw my money away either because other than the popping sound the springs don't really bother my the way they are.

(Side note - anyone else have to constantly adjust their e-brake at the drum so that it locks before the last click?)

Re: need alignment, useless with broken strut moun
Saturday, August 12, 2006 9:12 AM
Mounts are bad. Replace and get an alignment. Should be fine after that.

Mounts (2): $75 Shipped on eBay
Struts (4): $373 Shipped on eBay
Springs (4): $176 Shipped on eBay
Total: $588 plus Alignment (about $75)
NOTE: This spring-strut combination is NOT warrantied and NOT recommended. But it's your car.

eBrake issue- If you use your brake a lot it may be streached and needs to be replaced. Or could be in the wratcheting mechanism in the handle.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 10:29 AM
First off - thank you. Thanks for the clearest, most concise info, quickest response, and least "haha newb" BS I've ever seen. The J-BO should hire you to answer all questions in that manner.

So wow, my issue is more or less resolved. Now, due to my stingy nature, I'm going to ask other questions to try and weasle my way down as much as possible in cost.

1) Should I wait until my stock struts blow to get the KYB AGXs if those will blow quickly anyway? Or if I'm going to wait, should I wait and save up money for struts that will last?

2) What kind of damage ensues when struts give out? How badly does it affect the ride? What kind of luck have people had with stock struts on the S or H-tech springs, or KYBs?

Thanks again!

Saturday, August 12, 2006 10:31 AM
Also - those Strut Mounts say 95-98 but I understand that all 95+ Cavaliers have the same suspension, yes? They should work no problem? How hard are they to install?

Saturday, August 12, 2006 12:27 PM
With anything suspension or braking you will always be better (financially and safety) to wait and do it right.
Those mounts can be put on any 95-05; but 00+ like you will need spring seats (which I forgot in that list, my appologies). Those mounts work better and are cheaper to fix than the later style mount (00-05).

AGXs with H-Techs work good. D-Specs with S-Techs work good too.
H-Techs can be put on stock strut, and they will probably last a year or two without major problems.

When your struts "blow" (meaning they stop working) your car will bounce much more. This produces dramatically longer stopping distances (like panic stops 60+ feet longer), a reduction in cornering ability (0.1 to 0.3 Gs less), and a less comfortable ride (which is what most people care about the most).

As for doing it yourself. If you've never worked on a car before I highly recommend finding someone in your area to help you, or bringing it to a mechanic. Try the regional forums, usually plenty of people willing to help. If you live around me I'd be willing to help you out.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search