brake bleed problem - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
brake bleed problem
Thursday, August 10, 2006 12:30 PM
so i bled through nearly a quartz of blake fluid and the peddal is still very soft
i followed all the instructions - press pedal on the furthermost wheel, open bleeder screw, close bleeder screw, realease pedal yet the air still won't come out... anybody else had this problem?

Re: brake bleed problem
Thursday, August 10, 2006 1:24 PM
you open the bleeder screw first, then press and hold the pedal, then close screw, release.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 1:31 PM
Where do people get these wrong directions??
ShiftyCav has it right.
But I've heard several different people doing strange orders, and I just wonder where they get it from....

Thursday, August 10, 2006 1:32 PM
i know where i get mine most of the times . . Haynes manual.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 2:36 PM
ok, so i spent another 5 hours doing it the haynes manual way and it's even worse now. i've cycled another liter and when i checked the fluid it had no air bubbles whatsoever. yet i hear whistles in MC. sounds like air got in there, but how do i get it out from there??
Thursday, August 10, 2006 3:33 PM
Arent you suposed to depress the pedal three times and hold on the stroke of the third. Then have another person open the bleeder and let the pressure out, then close the bleeder and repeat.

Or get russel speed-bleaders, i heard they really work good.
Thursday, August 10, 2006 9:23 PM
Andrey: You can't bleed a MC on the car (unless you can tip the car up on end). MC could also be bad, it's rare, but it happens.
Joshua: I've heard stranger things than press three times, but no, open-press-close-release is the correct process. Speed bleeders and vacuum pumps make the job much easier.

Friday, August 11, 2006 5:05 AM
Ya, basically achieves the same thing but I've found pumping goes a little faster. Eh. whatever I've done both and both work.
Friday, August 11, 2006 6:42 AM
Person 1: Pump it up a few times and hold while still pressing, when you open the bleeder the pedal will continue to the floor.

Person 2: Open bleeder till flow stops.

Person 2: Close Bleeder.

Repeat till theres no air in the system.

Order of Bleeding.
Rear right -> Rear left -> Front Right -> Front left

If the system has a lot of air in it it can take a while to completely bleed the system out.

-Chris

Monday, August 14, 2006 3:55 PM
ShiftyCav wrote:you open the bleeder screw first, then press and hold the pedal, then close screw, release.

Umm, no you don't.

You pump the brake pedal atleast 5-6 times, press and hold pedal, and have another person open the bleeder screw until the pedal drops to the floor, hold it there until the bleeder screw is closed.. repeat process.

Always go with the furthest wheel from the master cylinder FIRST. And keep going to the next furthest one.

Bleeding brakes is a 2 person job, I don't know of any way to do it with 1 person.

1983 Camaro Z28
Monday, August 14, 2006 4:51 PM
You do it with one person using a vacuum bleeder

I have a neat vacuum pump for this... you take off the MC lid, top up the fluid, attach the vacuum pump to the bleeder valve... open the valve.... suck fluid... then close the valve.... add more fluid, move onto the next wheel. I've never had a problem doing it solo (read that however you want)

The MC's are a pain... the 95-99 have bleeder valves on them, the 00-05 don't... so if you got air into the 00-05 variety, you need a GM Tech 2 to command the bleed procedure. I've never found a way around that.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search