VERY VERY irritating back drum problem!!! - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
VERY VERY irritating back drum problem!!!
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 12:02 AM
ok well when i hit the brakes first of all they squeak.. keep in mind
resurfaced drums and new shoes

did the same thing befor and after i got new crap

when i hit te brakes at low speed sometimes the back wheels will just lock up especially the right rear

its like the car is on switches sometimes if im going slow and hit the brakes the back wants to dip down pretty hard.. so to fix it i:
Take off drums
Clean with brake cleaner thuroughly
adjust the wheel at the bottom so the drum goes back on snug as i was told by friend at dealership
Go in reverse n brake a coupel times great

BRAKES WORK AWSOME..
about 50miles later it does the exact same thing i have no idea what to do?!?!
someone else had to of had this problem - any insight is helpful thanx

Re: VERY VERY irritating back drum problem!!!
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 6:42 AM
they are drums, unfortnately you jsut have to let them wear that way......dont go in reverse once you set the adjustments. that jsut throws them off

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 7:06 AM
I have the same problem! im thinking the E brake cable needs to be adjusted but ever really tried that. if you find time, go under the car and pull on the e brake cable to lessen the tension going into the brake. That worked for me but again the problem is reoccurring

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 9:54 AM
The drum cylinder is probably leaking brake fluid. A few drips and you'll start to notice the drums wanting to lock-up. The brake cleaner takes the fluid off, that's why it fixes it short-term. Could also be that your driving through oily puddles or something like that... New cylinders cost about $10 to $20 depending on where you get it from, and aren't that hard to replace if you've worked on the rest of the brakes before.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 12:58 PM
i mite have to look into that i have 2 cavaliers they both do the same thing its quite irritating.. and embarissing
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 3:54 PM
wheel cylinders are easy to replace, jsut make sre u have penetrating lube to get the hub off. and the hub is held on with a t55 torx bit, (trust me)

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 9:13 PM
i didnt have to take the hob off to get them off or to put them on. Anyway replaced
shoes
drums
and cylinders it seems great hope it stays that way
Friday, August 11, 2006 2:26 PM
really?, mine wouldnt come out w/o taking off the hub

Friday, August 11, 2006 4:25 PM
SunfireGTguy2120 wrote:I have the same problem! im thinking the E brake cable needs to be adjusted but ever really tried that. if you find time, go under the car and pull on the e brake cable to lessen the tension going into the brake. That worked for me but again the problem is reoccurring

I'm not aware of a way to loose the cable from under the car. The easiest way is to take the boot off of the ebrake handle and reset the cable pre-tensioner in the ebrake mechanism. You can do it in like 5 mins.
Monday, August 14, 2006 4:52 PM
I'm having the same kind of problem but it only happens when it has been raining hard and the car sits over night. Or if it is really cold and the car has been sitting over night. I go to drive the car in the mornings and when I apply the brake they lock up in the back. It will do that for a few min then after the car is warmed up a bit it stops for the rest of the day until the next morning. But remind you it only locks up like this if it rains alot or is really cold.

My car has two speeds, fast and faster.

Monday, August 14, 2006 5:57 PM
Have you tried a can of brake cleaner?

Monday, August 14, 2006 6:04 PM
Yes I have, but here soon I think I'm just going to replace everything, drum, pads, and the cylinders. And see if that helps any...

My car has two speeds, fast and faster.

Monday, August 14, 2006 10:23 PM

MOISTURE is what makes the rear brakes stick and lock up, i dont think u can do anything about it other than disable your rear brakes lol. mine always does that too in the mornings when its cold right after start up or after rain.
Quote:

I'm having the same kind of problem but it only happens when it has been raining hard and the car sits over night. Or if it is really cold and the car has been sitting over night. I go to drive the car in the mornings and when I apply the brake they lock up in the back. It will do that for a few min then after the car is warmed up a bit it stops for the rest of the day until the next morning. But remind you it only locks up like this if it rains alot or is really cold.

Monday, August 21, 2006 7:56 AM
the exact same problem with mine.. exact reason im swapping to disc too..

JBO'S Mr. 64.....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search