What springs on stock struts for an 2004? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What springs on stock struts for an 2004?
Tuesday, August 08, 2006 11:06 PM
Just about every car out there you can put a set of springs with a decent drop on stock struts/shocks and it will handle them just mine..... J-bodys on the other hard have garbage struts from the factory. On my beater cav I'm doing a couple small mods, leaving everyhign mostly except for suspension. I'm not willing to spend all kinds of money on new strut/spring set up. I'm looking for a set of springs that i can put on stock struts and maintain ride quality without blowing struts regularly.

Any input? I've head S-Techs work well on stock struts..... any input?

Re: What springs on stock struts for an 2004?
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 4:20 AM
to me i wouldnt do it for the fact the struts can barely handle the stock springs. if anything though i was say the h-techs (1.1") drop. thats the only spring i know of that offers the smalled drop for our cars. now your gonna get people in here saying well im on sportlines with stock sturts and it rights great. those people are idiots. if you wanna do it, i say get the h-techs since it offers the smallest drop.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 4:37 AM
Suspension Techniques has a 1.2" spring available
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 5:10 AM
koenigseggCC7 wrote:Suspension Techniques has a 1.2" spring available

true they are a minimal drop also

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, August 09, 2006 5:11 AM

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 9:57 AM
^Those two will wear the struts out faster than stock springs, but they'll last a while. You're best bet if you don't want to swap struts.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 11:52 AM
right either way it will wear out the struts quicker than stock springs but they wont wear out as quick as they would if he would have coils or sportlines on them. they'll hold up for a little bit

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 3:54 PM
Tein claims their H-Tech springs are designed for the stock struts.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 7:10 PM
Eibach pro kit?

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 9:45 PM
Pro-Kit is too low for the stock struts, I've tried it, and I wish I hadn't.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 10:34 PM
The stock springs blow out the stock struts over time ... so i wouldnt even bother .

Grab some cheap AGXs off ebay and some minimal drop springs.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 6:55 AM
I just did a Search on EBAY and for AGX shocks and here's what I found:

http://search.ebay.ca/search/search.dll?fsop=17&cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.ca%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=agx+cavalier&x=31&y=7

One of the results is a complete kit (Shocks and springs)@ $530 CAD or $470 USD

Pricing is ok and the color would match my Sunfire!!!!

Jay

Thursday, August 10, 2006 9:17 AM
What about the gr2's or something less expensive. Im not trying to cheap out on suspension, but I dont want to spend 500 bucks on shocks.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 9:29 AM
GR2's will work with the minimal drop springs referenced above.

Don't go too far, though. Even though they are warrantied to a 1.5" drop, they are an OEM replacement.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:00 AM
I <3 Tein H-techs.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:28 AM
Sdwndr2 wrote:What about the gr2's or something less expensive. Im not trying to cheap out on suspension, but I dont want to spend 500 bucks on shocks.

get agxs they are much better than gr2s and they cost 380 shipped

Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:54 AM
Cherubim wrote:Tein claims their H-Tech springs are designed for the stock struts.

almsot all springs state they are designed for stock struts....... in part its true... they are designed for fitment....

the struts however are not designed to handle stiffer springs.

anyone who spends more than 1000$ on a car is well enough able to buy struts, even if it is a beater car, else leave it stock.

no point in having a beater car for reliability, you end up replacing part after part cause you skimped on something small. even if you arent gonna drive it hard, and you dont need to have top of the line parts as most have already noted.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 6:26 PM
You want cheap, with-out buying new struts, and just a little drop, and is free if you do it yourself, just cut half inch to a inch off your stock springs. In my opinion, much more realiable than getting different springs on stock struts.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 6:27 PM
from personal experiance....

when i first got my 03 i lowered on goldlines on stock struts.... DONT EVER DO IT

but my 02 has been on intrax since 04 and i have had no problems.. firm enough, but not bouncy

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Thursday, August 10, 2006 9:27 PM
CrAzY Z24 wrote:You want cheap, with-out buying new struts, and just a little drop, and is free if you do it yourself, just cut half inch to a inch off your stock springs. In my opinion, much more realiable than getting different springs on stock struts.

great way to blow em even quicker, especially when making the progressive rates uneven.

cut progressive springs have been proven to be less reliable than small drop lowering springs. we dont have linears like some cars...

Friday, August 11, 2006 3:57 AM
CrAzY Z24 wrote:You want cheap, with-out buying new struts, and just a little drop, and is free if you do it yourself, just cut half inch to a inch off your stock springs. In my opinion, much more realiable than getting different springs on stock struts.

your license to visit the suspension forum has been revoked

Saturday, August 12, 2006 1:57 PM
sorry, but asking what springs at all to put on stock struts is stupid, all in all, you NEED better struts. Either way you go it will damage the stock struts very fast.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 2:04 PM
/\______I'm willing to bet Darkstars know's that...

Saturday, August 12, 2006 2:32 PM
Wicked1 wrote:/\______I'm willing to bet Darkstars know's that...[/quote

no i never that, I'm to stupid asking all these stupid questions

are factory struts are garbage.... I'm going to lower the car and eventually do the struts. I'm looking for drop springs that aren't gonna wanna eat a set of struts a month. If the stuts hold out for a year I will be real happy.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 3:19 PM
I know he knows, he is a very smart guy, just defending myself

Sunday, August 13, 2006 9:18 AM
I misinterpreted your initial post then. To me it sounds like you know the struts will blow fast with lowering springs, but were just looking for springs that will make the stock struts last longer but let your car sit a little lower. no harm, no foul.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search