Autocross setup - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Autocross setup
Sunday, August 06, 2006 6:26 PM
So i recently decided to go back to autocross. I used to back when the car was stock but that was a little bit ago.

My queston is what would be a good setup for the JBody vehicle? I currently have the Eibach Proline supported by KYB AGX struts but what else would i need. I believe vibrant strut braces would be a good addition along with sway bars. Another question is what do i need to install a front sway bar? I know most of the third gens didnt have one stock and the FAQ talks about needing mounting hardware from GM. What hardware is it referring too? What size sway bars (front and rear) works best for an autocross setup? Where can i get a subframe brace and are there anymore types of bracing i can do to help? Just looking for a little help...sorry for my ignorance.

Josh

Re: Autocross setup
Sunday, August 06, 2006 7:18 PM
Most 3rd gen did come with a sway bar, not to say they all did, but the majority did. If you don't you'll need the 2 D brackets and 1 bolt for the drivers side.
I would go with Addco 25.4mm bars front and back, GM front strut bar, ebay generic rear strut bar (just as good as any)*, make your own front and rear tie bars (post around this forum if you search on how to make them cheap).
You've got good springs and struts. They should hold up well. If you kill the AGXs you may want to upgrade to Konis or D-Specs, but that's far from necessary.
Wheels and Tires make a huge difference too. Go with 16" or 17" rims with the correct size performance tire. What brand to get is also a starting point for flame-war debates. See my profile if you're totally lost and need a starting point, it's up to you really though; also ask the guys in Wheel&Tire.

*Standard guidelines apply when buying from eBay, make sure it looks like they know what they're talking about. The brace should say for 95 to 05 (or sometimes 04). Should say compatible with Cavalier and Sunfires only, not list 103.4 different cars that it "fits". Rear strut braces are all the same, as long as they're made of metal they're good. Front, get the GM and you'll have no problems. They'll all work, but some hit different hoods and computers and other problems.

Sunday, August 06, 2006 11:04 PM
I'll second everything in CTS' post. I'm running a Tein SS coilover setup, GM front strut bar, vibrant rear strut bar and addco 1" (25.4mm) front and rear sway bars. I understand that a rear tie bar from an Aztec bolts up to the Addco rear sway bar, but I have no further information on that.

Be sure to lube your sway bar bushings!

Monday, August 07, 2006 4:18 AM
Do you al happen to know the part numbers for the D Brackets, the bolt, and the GM front sway bar? Also you wouldnt happen to know where i could get a subframe brace at would you? Thanks guys i really appreciate your alls feed back.

Josh
Monday, August 07, 2006 5:43 AM
where can i get a GM Front Sway Bar?

deleted
Monday, August 07, 2006 6:28 AM
Brenden Griswold wrote:where can i get a GM Front Sway Bar?

Monday, August 07, 2006 11:21 AM
^BC: I haven't laughed that hard at a post in a while. Thanks.

JF & BG: That was a GM front strut bar, not a sway bar. You can get one from a yard (usually quite cheap) or from any GM dealership.

Bracket: 95-99: 22587935 00-05: 22660396
Bolt: I don't know, but they can tell you.

If you want a GM 18mm sway bar I'll sell you mine dirt cheap. Comes with end links and bushings.

Monday, August 07, 2006 12:16 PM
Whoops sorry about that i was writing on the fly
Monday, August 07, 2006 8:26 PM
Same deal w/ the sway bar. If you can find a wrecked J with the FE2 option code, there's a 22mm front bar.

For the strut bar, they only came in verts.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search