rksport full coil over setup - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rksport full coil over setup
Sunday, August 06, 2006 12:31 PM
i called rksport and i guess they dropped it from the product line and the company that made them discontinued everything cause you were at one point able to get them rebuilt.....

anyone know where a person could go to get them rebuilt possibly or able to point me in another direction?

Re: rksport full coil over setup
Sunday, August 06, 2006 4:56 PM
i stuck to my guns till mine were replaced, but i guess they arent doing em now.... not cause they dont wanna, but because they literally have NO parts left... not a good situation.

heres what i found out. B&G suspension makes em...and a few others.... (i called B-G in cali, and also in sweeden to verify which companies they made em for)

b-g has no spares as all were sold to rksport.... when the last were sold, there were no replacements...

penske shocks up in PA, you can call and ask how much for a rebuild. they also have places in FL and also the midwest and canada....

http://www.penskeshocks.com/home.htm

i believe last i checked it could be about 35-100$ per strut...they may also can do revalving as well....

now these arent their shocks, they are actually struts, but most all shocks and struts function with similar parts so rebuilding and placement of oil should be straight forwards. let em know b-g suspensions made the prodcut, let em know the story.

thats one option.

second option, check local places to get em rebuilt.

Sunday, August 06, 2006 5:33 PM
what else would you suggest?

i was thinking of even getting a new suspension setup for next year, i like being as low as i am. tein or gravana coil overs...... not sure which brand or anything

havent heard any pro's/cons except the teins people were rubbing and such

Sunday, August 06, 2006 6:22 PM
Gravana and Tein's setups are both viable options. As a Tein owner of both the type Basic and Super Street dampers I'll try to list some pros and cons for you.

Teins:
Pros:
Tein's history and customer support,
You know who to go to for a rebuild.
great build quality
cool green color
spring pre-loading on Super Street application
EDFC compatability on Super Streets
pillowball and camber plate mounts on Super Streets
Multiple vendors means you can shop for a price
Dampa-Chi

Cons:
questionable installation instructions
Basics are rock hard
less adjustability than Gravana's
camber plates require an extra nut
not everyone likes green I guess
can destroy rear strut mounts on type Basics
requires 2000+ front strut mounts on type Basics

I cannot comment on Gravana's setup because I don't have it.

Sunday, August 06, 2006 9:07 PM
i installed machzel08's gravanas.... good product, but not really a complete product as teins... requires modding of strut mounts, and there were some leak issues with some.... old posts have a bit on it... fixed though last i heard.

my call...teins. super streets if you can swing em, bottom line, they are just a complete setup. .... come with all the mounts/major parts you need,

i dont like green, but i didnt chose suspension for color, if need be and i get bored i'll paint, but i'm not jacking or lifting my car to show off anything underneath. pure function. thats just my call...

the install is REALLY straight forward on the tein super street.... its a direct replacement. it gives in inches, where to adjust the spring collars as a starting point. if you can remove a strut you can install a set of teins.

some have complained about adding an extra nut on the camber plate, 12 cents total 15 cents with tax really wasnt an issue with all the spares i had. but if i had to..... short drive to any hardware store with just 2 of em on there wont hurt. inconvienience, yes, easy fix, for sure.

on rear strut mounts, theres ways to strengthen em... easy fix. this is for any setup, springs or otherwise that use the stock rear rubber mounts. superstreets you get a new solid aluminum mount.

and if need be, on teins, you can get different spring rates and damping adjustment if you send em in and request so on rebuilds.

tein def is a mainstay in parts wise as compared to what B-G and rksport stuff and others have shown in the past. a few other cars have had the same prob with the S-3;s which is the code the rksports were. no telling in how long the ps2 and rs2 will be out.... and that was directly from B-G when i called.

and the rubbing issues were pretty much from the post on here, related to people buying the wrong offset of wheel.... many times people get stuff just cause its available, and its a close fit, but not the right size. stuff like that can bite you in the ass if you plan to add more stuff in the future.

Sunday, August 06, 2006 9:47 PM
i got my 18 inch axis reverbs 18x7.5 and a +40 offset i believe.

off the top of your head you think i would rub or anything.

the higher end tein is what you suggest? i was even thinking i might just go with the konis and sportlines but not too sure as i like how low i am currently

Sunday, August 06, 2006 9:50 PM
i was wrong 5x100 and +42 offset and 7.5 wide

Sunday, August 06, 2006 9:51 PM
no i just gotta find a way to roll my fenders cause in the front passenger is starting to rub cause its bent down a bit

Sunday, August 06, 2006 10:57 PM
wow 3 posts in a row, are you talking to yourself?

I have a 17x7" wheel with a 35mm offset that dosn't rub. I'd say you have about 5 inches from disk face to springs (7" rim with 35mm offset is 4.87" of backspace, + about .25" of extra clearance = 5"). With a 7.5" wide wheel and a 42mm offset (5.4 inches backspace) your wheel should be hitting that spring, that's not going to work out.

As for Event's comments, they are all true. What I listed as "cons" were really all I could think of off the top of my head. I really enjoy my suspension and there's even a comfortable level for Los Angeles' bad streets.

Monday, August 07, 2006 5:30 AM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=42&i=10331&t=10331&arch=1

as noted in the post, alot of offsets work, but ya gotta think, when you alter a car with aftermarket parts, the manufacturer of the parts usually make things in accordance with the given specs...

thats the main give and take part of it...

Monday, August 07, 2006 8:31 AM
^^^my gravana's are nice but in hindsight i wish i would have gone with tein. I am a pefect candidate for the edfc. Buti have the gravanas and i am pretty pleased with them.

Monday, September 04, 2006 5:10 PM
if your not going to rebuild your RK's i might be interested in whats left as some spares, since, well, rk and B&G wont be able to help me, be nice to have at least a spare front and rear, then if i need a rebuild i still have a car...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search