Clunking/Popping - Need info - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Clunking/Popping - Need info
Monday, June 26, 2006 4:20 AM
I could use some experienced opinions on what exactly went bad in my front suspension. Any help is appreciated.

I have a clunk/pop sound coming from the front left, but not all the time.

The only way I can always get it to pop is if I go in reverse and start turning the wheel to left... at one point it goes pop. Same if I go in reverse while turning wheel in other direction, pops, but not as loud.

I also get the same pop sound sometimes under hard acceleration at low speeds and when i brake really hard. Same noise.

It doesnt make any noise if the car doesnt move and I steer left-right to both extents. It doesnt make a clicking noise like the CV when turning with torque applied.

So, what am I looking at here

Thanks
V

CAC2004 FSS#1, 2003,2004 Atlantic FSP #1, 2004 Overall Atlantic #1

Re: Clunking/Popping - Need info
Monday, June 26, 2006 4:52 AM
i would say strut mounts

I'm having a similar problem

Monday, June 26, 2006 5:18 AM
that was my first thought - but why would it pop under braking or acceleration ?

strut mounts / spring pop under strain from the steering.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 5:41 PM
sway bar D bushings, the rubber piece needs to be replaced. i had the same problem, a popping noise (2-3 pops) at low speed. worthwhile to check/replace the strut bearings at the same time.

14.82 @ 97 mph
Thursday, June 29, 2006 11:03 AM
well ivw started having a clunk when i turn or when i do hard acceleration or braking.....i took my rim off and found that it was my lower ball joint i blew out. grease is everywhere. its what connects the lower control arm to the rotor/strut setup.

150$ to get mine fixed.

- Cameron (CaliforniaCavalier)
- www.csc-motorsports.com (my new NOR-CAL car club site!)

Thursday, June 29, 2006 9:11 PM
^Damn that's expensive. I should open my own shop......
You should always look around your suspension for things that are obviously wrong before asking... Don't know how many people complain of a very general noise, we ask for more details, come back later with "looked around and xxx was spraying grease all over yyy, and zzz looks messed up".

Thursday, June 29, 2006 9:31 PM
I used to have clunking noises happening when i was backing up and cutting the wheel sharp. I found that when i replaced the driver side control arm bushing the noise stopped when backing to the left. and then my car failed safty because the right side was bad. so i fixed that up and i havent heard the clunking noise anymore. something worth looking at. i heard they are known for going
Friday, June 30, 2006 6:48 AM
OK, I replaced the strut mounts AND ball joints.

And the popping / clunking is still there.

Lets see more ideas

I will replace the tie rod ends next, although they seem ok when tested by hand... no play

As for the sway bar bushings, I replaced the sway bar recently and the bushings seemed fine... go figure.

My friend has a new idea - A-arm bushings... what do you guys think

Friday, June 30, 2006 6:51 AM
by the way my entire suspension seems ok and tight, I had it apart recently to put the new shocks and swaybars in and did not notice anything unusual

Saturday, July 08, 2006 10:46 PM
I just put in the addco front sway bar and now I have clunking popping at low speeds, sometimes when I turn wheel or break hard. Im thinking its the poly bushings on the sway bar as I forgot to put anti-seize on them when I installed them. Not sure if its going to hurt but Im pretty sure thats whats causing my problems as it started right when I installed that bar.

Sunday, July 09, 2006 7:54 PM
There is a TSB concerning a popping due to lack of lube in the steering...specifically the intermediate shaft. Might be a possibility.

Lightweight honDuhs can kiss my fat Crapalier a$$
A new autoX ride for '08.....

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 10:39 AM
I'm having the same problem and my car only has 18000 miles on it. Im going to take it in sometime soon to the dealership because im under warrenty....I'll see what they say/do to fix it and report back.
Saturday, July 29, 2006 8:01 PM
any word back? im having alot of problems with my suspension now and think it might be something similar.
Sunday, July 30, 2006 7:59 PM
i have this exact problem as well and here i thought it was just me. when someone nails something down that it might be that would be awesome to find out and replace it so i dont have that problem anymore.
Sunday, July 30, 2006 9:33 PM
i'll take swaybar bushings for 1000 alex

14.82 @ 97 mph
Sunday, July 30, 2006 9:48 PM
yep, same issue on my 96 and 02 .

96- loud clunk/pop. under hard acceleration/ braking. backing up while turning.
i think it is the strut mounts, 150k stock ones. but not sure the damn thing will not clunk for a week, then outta no where it does it for a day or two. then goes away!. i got oloy a arm bushings, poly sway bar end links, new ball joints. has to be the c v joint or strut mounts. i cant think what else it would be.

02 ls sport- them strut mounts suck.

Team GREEN

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 8:41 AM
You want to know what it turned out to be for me?

I've got Koni Reds (the insert style front strut replacements for lowing application) and if anyone is familiar with those, they have the nut and washer setup at the base of the strut housing which keep them snug as inserts to the bottom of that housing. If (as in my case that it did) that nut begins to loosen up it permits the strut it's self to shift about an 1/8 of inch because the bolt shaft is slightly smaller than the hole through the base of the strut housing shell. SO when you turn under the right weight transfer situations you get pops and thumps as the bottom of the strut insert moves around inside the strut housing.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

---
inthemeantime. . .
EASY!!!
CLRH2O (Clearwater)
Label Manager / Producer / DJ
FORCE RECORDINGS

www.forcerecordings.com
www.clrh2ostudios.com
www.hallucination.com
Thursday, October 19, 2006 8:31 AM
I have similar issues with my 03 z24 - clicking/poping noises from the front left hand side of the car.
Only happens when cruzing in traffic (2-50km/h) when NOT braking or steering.
I'm on my 2nd left axle as I thought it was it.
Just replaced the hub assembly and rotors.
Pads are in good condition.

Any ideas?
Friday, November 16, 2007 2:02 PM
I have the same problem with my 01 sunfire . Pops once when I hit the gas and once when I let off . Also pops when I go over the rail road tracks . I replaced struts, strut mounts , control arm bushings, sway bar endlinks, sway bar u bushings , ball joints , tie rods and even rack and pinion bushings . Anyone got any ideas? Im stumped. thanks

ITS ALL FUN IN GAMES TILL SOMEONE GETS SHOT IN THE LEG
Friday, November 16, 2007 3:08 PM
My 'Fire developed a clunking/popping noise as described last spring. It wasn't overly loud, as apparently I was the only person who could hear it. It turned out to be the bushing on my passenger side control arm - I changed out that bushing on both passenger side and drivers side - solved the problem.
Friday, November 16, 2007 5:27 PM
For some reason, this very old thread seems to have been resurrected, but I was reading the initial post thinking it was control arm bushings or ball joints. Since the ball joints were done and didn't work, have you since tried the control arm bushings?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search