what causes stock struts to blow? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what causes stock struts to blow?
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 5:43 AM
I have an 05 cavalier, and a full coilover/strut setup that i can't use until a new mount/camber plate is designed, and i have had these since last winter and getting sick of being at stock hight

my question is if i return the setup and get a pro-kit or something similar on my stock struts would they blow? They only have almost 3K miles on them and ive herd struts blow because they are at a certain hight so long other sections can rust etc...and eventually ruin it, but if mine are still almost brand new will it effect them?

Re: what causes stock struts to blow?
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 6:11 AM
they will blow but theres no given time period. stock struts that are lowered on usually blow due to the spring rate of the spring. theres not enough damping on the strut to handle it and it usually bottoms the strut out. over time it just wears down and blows

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 6:21 AM
I had stock struts and 2" Megan Racing drop springs for about 2 years and now that I have my Tokico's and Teins I can tell you the difference is absolutly freaking HUGE!! Sure it may be dropped and looking good but it WILL ride like ass, I know mine was that way for a long time. Do it right the first time and you'll love it.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:30 AM
when i was dropped on intrax springs my stock struts were only about 6 months old. and they lasted maybe 6 months before i could really notice they were going out. go with a good aftermarket strut assembly and save yourself the hassle.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 12:22 PM
97cavy22 wrote:I have an 05 cavalier, and a full coilover/strut setup that i can't use until a new mount/camber plate is designed, and i have had these since last winter and getting sick of being at stock hight

my question is if i return the setup and get a pro-kit or something similar on my stock struts would they blow? They only have almost 3K miles on them and ive herd struts blow because they are at a certain hight so long other sections can rust etc...and eventually ruin it, but if mine are still almost brand new will it effect them?

higher spring rates and lack of range of motion....

easiest explanations without getting to far into depth:

higher spring rates would be like a human able to carry 315lbs on their back and run....safely.... now stack 2 more 45's on the bar and run... at 415lbs you start to overstress ligaments and tendons and cartilage. running springs that are stiffer on struts that are made for softer springs cause the piston to push through the oil/gas combo quicker and the oil isnt thick enough or the piston holes arent small enough to slow the motion. over time, this can cause damage to the piston, the pressure and heat inside the strut rises which on some strutscan cause venting, and also wears the oil down quicker.

Range of motion is just as important. reason? bottoming out is the most obvious. however on a street driven car, lack of range of motion can short change you on certain bumps. with the addition of the bottoming out, if a car hits a bump and doesnt have the needed range of motion, it can cause the tire to lose contact with the road. by doing this the car can and most times lifts a bit, which then comes back down hard and forceful. a clearer explanation is think of ironman ivan stewart in an offroad truck running baja.... those trucks are made with shocks that can take a hard shock coming down off a jump.... stock struts on a street car no less, are not designed for this.

lack of range of motion accompanied with springs that a strut cant control pretty much causes both parts to happen. the stiffer spring wears out the strut quicker, causing the damping to lessen and lessen then with some springs, especially the sag you get from some, the spring will make the weakened strut bounce the tire as opposed to grip the road. think about slamming your meaty part of your fist into a brick wall repeatedly... eventually damage occurs from the force it encounters....not to mention when the oil is overworked, like any other oil, it heats up and degrades, but also the seals do the same. in some cases you will see seals busted and oil leaks...

anyone would be better off saving up, doing it once and doing it right rather than being impatient and having to pay for two alignments, wearing out a good set of stock struts if that applies still, and taking less a chance from wearing out other suspension parts including tires. but at least half ever listen.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:28 PM
yea money isnt the issue, cause i have a full setup already purchased i just can't use them and getting tired of looking at them on my floor. I was just wondering if the springs would be fine on newer struts. I think you guys pretty much cleared up that it won't work. Maybe ill see if i can return it for some tien's or something similar.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:45 PM
I wish money wasn't an issue with me. This pretty much answered what I was asking in the thread I made. AGX's are just TOO expensive for me ATM, however G2r2's are rated up to a 1.5" drop, and the pro kit I plan on getting is only a 1.4", so I'd imagine I'd still be ok.

My Car Domain Page

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:57 PM
are you talking about your gravana setup? why not just buy 95-99 strut mounts, install the coilovers, and have lots of fun being slammed?

Thursday, June 29, 2006 6:40 PM
MSD wrote:I wish money wasn't an issue with me. This pretty much answered what I was asking in the thread I made. AGX's are just TOO expensive for me ATM, however G2r2's are rated up to a 1.5" drop, and the pro kit I plan on getting is only a 1.4", so I'd imagine I'd still be ok.

No, GR2's are OEM replacements, its the same as having your stock struts there. I dunno if the warranty will cover it, i believe their 1.5" drop is only for the AGX's. Just save the $ and do it right the first time, you'll wish you did.

Thursday, June 29, 2006 6:56 PM
I might give KYB a call tomorrow while I'm at work and see if the Gr2's are rated for a small drop. Believe me, I WISH I could afford AGX's.. and I did find out I can get them through my job, so I would get a discount.. but they're still $160 a piece for the fron and $130 a piece for the rear. Might have to do it the ghetto way and buy them one at a time until I have everything and then put it all on. *sigh*

My Car Domain Page

Thursday, June 29, 2006 9:04 PM
GR2s are warrantied for the 1.5" drop but can't take it. Why would KYB do that? Because it will cost you $70 (alignment) + $30 (shipping) + $??? (Shop Fees for normal people) = $100+ each time you blow a set and send them in. How many times are you going to do that?

Thursday, June 29, 2006 11:17 PM
ok.. well i have a question with this one as well. I have the kyb agx on my 2002 cavalier with canuck springs.. dropped 1.5.. Ive found that whenever i go over a larger bump, my top left hand wheel makes this very noticable squeeking like sound. When putting on the struts and springs, the bolt at the top of the left strut isnt as low as the right, but other then that.. its fine.. Could the squeeking be caused by it not being tight enough, or is it something like the actual strut mount? the car has just under 80k on them.

any suggestions on what it could be?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search