Bleeding abs system?? need help?? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bleeding abs system?? need help??
Monday, June 26, 2006 10:40 AM
Hi,,,
im trying to bleed my brakes on my 94 sunbird 3.1 and its got abs system....i knowtice theres bleeders up near the booster (what are they for)....ive tryed the conventinal bleeding with 2 ppl (pump,pump......hold, bleed...and again) now after all this i still have a soft petal and not much breaks at all.....and now the abs light is flashing on and off??? whats this mean and what am i dooing wrong or should i continue bleeding the way i am. oh the reason im doing this is because i had to replace the rear lines and i assume the booster did drop too far at one point and let air into the whole system before i repaced the lines and started bleeding....

do i need to reset or jump an abs module or anything??
thanks...oh and i dont really care if i have abs anymore as long as i get the breaks firmed up its a race car anyhow.

Re: Bleeding abs system?? need help??
Monday, June 26, 2006 5:40 PM
What's all that "pump,pump......hold, bleed...and again" stuff?? The correct procedure is 1. Open bleeder 2. Pedal down 3. Close Bleeder 4. Pedal up. Repeat.
Unplugging the battery for 30 min will clear any error codes in the computers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, June 26, 2006 5:40 PM

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 3:46 AM
If the brakes are still no good after you bleed them then you might have another problem you are not aware of. The ABS light is flashing cause you have air in the system most likely. But if it goes away and you are confident that you have no more air in the system then it is time to move along and check other things. Like maybe the caliper slides. They tend to stick and cause that same spongey feeling.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 9:43 AM
do you have rear drums?? Have you adjusted the the rears???

<>< <>< <>< <><
Bill Ellis
2002 Cavalier 2.2L OHV Sedan (AUG 2001)
2004 Vibe AWD Shadow (May 2004)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search