completly removed springs? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
completly removed springs?
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 6:59 PM
I ran into some kid the other day with a 03+ cavalier and I noticed it was lowered. It looked pretty damn lose to the ground so I asked him what kind of setup he went with...struts spring... whatever. Well he told me he just took off his springs! I was a little surprised... I never heard of anyone just taking them off before! lol. I asked him how well it drove..."eh alright" So I told him it looked good and just left it at that...

As I watched him drive away it looked so bouncy and uncomfotable. So I just wanted to share that with everyone. I don't know a whole lot about suspenion setups, but I DO know that is not good for the car. lmao

Think his struts are ruined yet? or...?

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch

Re: completly removed springs?
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:12 PM

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:46 PM
I know a guy with a CRX in my area that did the same thing. I took a ride in it and man oh man my whole body hurt for a few hours after.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:49 PM
It's completely retarded and dangerous.

That's all there really is to say about that.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:50 PM
i;ve seen two people do that locally, and honestly, i really do support abortions, birth control, and the death penalty in accordance to issues like that.

i;ve even ridden in a car (my own fault, but in spirit of helping someone) who basically put coilover springs, just the springs...no sleeves, SPRING ONLY on the strut itself. i still have the gash mark as a scab that never heals due to athletics and wrestling in the middle of the top of my head.

however nothing tops a local sunfire driver, who claims him and his dad built the first 16 cylinder engine by welding a 12 and a 4 cylinder engine together, and they race the 52' something up in pa against lambos, and other top end cars fully equipped with spikes on their wheels.....

theres an abundance of those types.....sadly.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 9:09 PM
I wouldn't want to be anywhere near him when the strut rod flys through the hood after a good bump.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 6:33 AM
Ok welded two engines together ? ! That would never work right ! Even if you could somehow actualy weld them up then you have the issue of the cranks not being timed to run as a single engine so the harmonics would be horrible ! I believe you Event that this kid told this to you but untill I saw it with my own 2 eyes I wouldn't believe it.

No springs ! What a dork !

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:31 AM
I have seen it done with only V-8's!!!

Just got to be real good with the torchs and migs!

ECOTEC now with Maximum Bolt-Ons!!
Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:40 AM
^ ^ ^ ^Your talking about the old multi-engined dragsters from the 60's right ? They wern't welded together the were bolted together the they had a piece that would bolt the cranks together too.

DISCLAIMER ::: There may have been some welded together that I do not know of. I am speaking only to the multi-engined cars I have read about.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:03 PM
Seen them (2 of them) at the Detroit auto show a couple of years back..they were welded!

I do know what you mean though...these were a first class job of welding and such!

pretty incredable really...guy told me they wouldnt rev them past the 4000 RPM due to the stain on the engines!

ECOTEC now with Maximum Bolt-Ons!!
Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:12 PM
Jackalope wrote:Ok welded two engines together ? ! That would never work right ! Even if you could somehow actualy weld them up then you have the issue of the cranks not being timed to run as a single engine so the harmonics would be horrible ! I believe you Event that this kid told this to you but untill I saw it with my own 2 eyes I wouldn't believe it.

well if you are up in this area, look for:

silver 2 door sunfire
red "3c" racing seats... i figured he meant 3A racing
chrome hub caps
kinda a big guy, which was why i initially started talkin to him about the seats
some graphic banner across the front
few stickers

thing is, when he said he raced up in PA:

on a dirt track
with ferraris, lambos and other top end 100K + $ cars......with spikes on their wheels, but they dont catch their car cause its too fast...

the first thought in my mind was who puts spikes on their wheels outside of nintendo, and who races lambos and ferraris which have the clearance or less of a coke can....in dirt?

at first i honestly though gas fumes and something else went on, but being me, i asked him tech questions on times ran.... 3-4 sec quarter miles.........

i wasnt out of the gas station before i called bryant AND donnavon to tell em about this.

like i am cool with a bit of embellishing, say someone running 12's when they really run 13 or 14.... in a non track timed race it may be hard to determine....

but the first mind blower was him and his dad built the first 16 cylinder engine, ever..... and had a patent for it. this doooood wasnt any older than i, and i believe there were cars built by audi back in the late 30;s like the streamline back in 37 that was a v16....

once he started the convo on that engine, a bs meter didnt pop in my head, it was a BS billboard.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 5:37 PM
that is hillarious......

my friend has a debadged SR20 240SX with a gt35r @ 18 psi.... we went to the track and there was a guy with a brand new 04 cobra.......dude was talkin mad @!#$ and thought the 240 was a honda??(lol) they raced and the 240 won.(of course)...after the run he was asking all kind of guestions...but the best one was
HOW DID U MAKE UR HONDA RWD???
My friend told him that he turned the motor sideways and stuck a driveshaft in it.... u should have seen the look on the guys face....... i laughed so hard

daily: 99 civic Si
deceased: 95 cavy '00 LD9 auto swap (vandalized)
Thursday, June 15, 2006 6:28 PM
Funky Bottoms (Event) wrote:
Jackalope wrote:Ok welded two engines together ? ! That would never work right ! Even if you could somehow actualy weld them up then you have the issue of the cranks not being timed to run as a single engine so the harmonics would be horrible ! I believe you Event that this kid told this to you but untill I saw it with my own 2 eyes I wouldn't believe it.

well if you are up in this area, look for:

silver 2 door sunfire
red "3c" racing seats... i figured he meant 3A racing
chrome hub caps
kinda a big guy, which was why i initially started talkin to him about the seats
some graphic banner across the front
few stickers

thing is, when he said he raced up in PA:

on a dirt track
with ferraris, lambos and other top end 100K + $ cars......with spikes on their wheels, but they dont catch their car cause its too fast...

the first thought in my mind was who puts spikes on their wheels outside of nintendo, and who races lambos and ferraris which have the clearance or less of a coke can....in dirt?

at first i honestly though gas fumes and something else went on, but being me, i asked him tech questions on times ran.... 3-4 sec quarter miles.........

i wasnt out of the gas station before i called bryant AND donnavon to tell em about this.

like i am cool with a bit of embellishing, say someone running 12's when they really run 13 or 14.... in a non track timed race it may be hard to determine....

but the first mind blower was him and his dad built the first 16 cylinder engine, ever..... and had a patent for it. this doooood wasnt any older than i, and i believe there were cars built by audi back in the late 30;s like the streamline back in 37 that was a v16....

once he started the convo on that engine, a bs meter didnt pop in my head, it was a BS billboard.

yea, the first 16 cylinder was, i believe, put in a cadillac in the 30's. this guy's a tool.i hate people who dont know ANYTHING and still continue to state otherwise... lol, but they are good for a few laughs.
u gotta have some kinda massive restraint on yourself to not throw that billboard that went up in your head, rite at him man. i wouldve eatin him alive had someone said something that dumb to me, lol.

Friday, June 16, 2006 1:08 PM
Yea i seen it ryan...white cavalier thats about 1" off the ground......HAHA...I cant wait to see him cruising and call him a moron.

Friday, June 16, 2006 2:17 PM
So they run Lambo's in the dirt up in Pa huh ? AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!! This guy's been sleeping next to the Cam 2 drums for too many years !

Like you I can see a little bench racing BS like you realy run a 12.8 but when asked its a flat 12 car if you hook up right, of corse you NEVER have ! LOL !!

But this dude is out of his mind !

I needed a good laugh thanks Art.

Saturday, June 17, 2006 5:17 AM
Well ok this has turned into story telling time, so it is my turn. Now, first off, picture the dumbest trailer trash looking person from Jerry Springer then read this, but i had a guy in my home town who drove an ulgy ass CRX that looked like it was pulled strait from the junk yard and he said and i quote "I get 300 HP to the rear wheel" and as he drove off with blue smoke from the exhaust pouring out he decided to do a burn out with front wheels a spinnin... looks at us winks and nods. and yes he was as serious as a heart attack when he said that.
Sunday, June 18, 2006 7:23 PM
LOL... some people.

Yeah, unforntunately there is ANOTHER moron making us J owner look stupidin my town. Some kid about a mile from my house has a 03 GREY Cavalier, a BLUE spoiler, GREEN graphics up the side, BLACK window louvers(3 of em), a bunch of stickers and badges, and to top everything off... a VTEC Tuning sticker (maybe even 2!!!) lol. Chris have you seen that car yet? The guy told my freind he has a supercharger with 300hp! WoW...lol

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Monday, June 19, 2006 12:15 PM
LoL. i am from j-town too. i have seen a number of messed up j cars around here. it makes me sick. no wonder it's so hard to get respect with my car. oh well.

this is one of the funniest threads i have read in a long time.

http://www.helpelijah.com
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 1:53 AM
I find it hard to believe that someone would remove the springs.

I mean have the knowledge to remove them them and the reassemble the car and still think this is a good idea.

||Click to visit my Cardomain page|Nebraska Region SCCA||
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 6:45 PM
i've seen that car too! and it is true that he just took the springs out because i know the guy who helped him do it. he warned him not to do it like that but thats what he wanted and i think hes still riding with the stock springs in his trunk. It's funny to watch it bounce when it hits a crack in the road though!
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 11:18 PM
he should get a job and purchase some eibach pro kit springs and some kyb AGX struts, I have that setup and it is great. even ebay coilovers are better than no springs! just saying is all.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 6:42 AM
prittsie11 wrote:i've seen that car too! and it is true that he just took the springs out because i know the guy who helped him do it. he warned him not to do it like that but thats what he wanted and i think hes still riding with the stock springs in his trunk. It's funny to watch it bounce when it hits a crack in the road though!

How big of a 'tard do you have to be?

"What, you want me to help you take the springs off your car's suspension? Well, I'm pretty sure you're about to take a wrong turn down Bad Idea Boulevard during rush hour, but hey since you asked me nicely."

Wow.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 1:28 PM
yeah he expected to be putting new springs in and when the kid tol him he didn't have any replacement springs he just figured they would at least cut out a coil and put the stock spring back in, but no the kid said let's put her back together!!
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 1:44 PM
however nothing tops a local sunfire driver, who claims him and his dad built the first 16 cylinder engine by welding a 12 and a 4 cylinder engine together, and they race the 52' something up in pa against lambos, and other top end cars fully equipped with spikes on their wheels......

first- impossible
second- v16 engines are over 80 years old
third- why didnt you punch him in the face?

-Borsty
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 1:51 PM
Borsty wrote:
however nothing tops a local sunfire driver, who claims him and his dad built the first 16 cylinder engine by welding a 12 and a 4 cylinder engine together, and they race the 52' something up in pa against lambos, and other top end cars fully equipped with spikes on their wheels......

first- impossible
second- v16 engines are over 80 years old
third- why didnt you punch him in the face?

Ya gotta love Borsty !

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search