Problem with Tein SS suspention install..HELP - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Problem with Tein SS suspention install..HELP
Sunday, June 11, 2006 6:41 PM
Hello everyone

I have just installed the TEIN SS coil over suspension kit on my 2004 cavalier Z24 and I’m having a major problem, the from strut unit is extremely close the tire. I can't even fit my figure in between, has anyone come across this and is there a fix I really like the suspension but it's really unsafe and it looks like I might have to take it out because I really don't want to continue driving the car this way. Is there anyone out there has the same suspension on their car our know what do about this. I'm afraid that if i hit a bump the tire might hit the spring and blow the tire.

Thank you
Frank

Re: Problem with Tein SS suspention install..HELP
Sunday, June 11, 2006 7:36 PM
its always close, even on stock @!#$ its close, not that close but close, if your tire pressures are normal you wont have an issue.

if your still concerned find wheel spacers, I think eibach makes some, it will push the wheel out some more for extra clearance

Sunday, June 11, 2006 8:59 PM
if your wheel offset is to far in that might not help

but either way its gonna be close, but 1/4" or so should be fine

Sunday, June 11, 2006 10:25 PM
Well, if it is not touching sitting still, it wont touch while the car is moving. At least not on the back side of the tire.

Go Go OG Traction!!
Monday, June 12, 2006 12:17 AM
ill tell you my experiences with them....

I have 18x7.0 with an +42mm offset. And at certain heights in the front, mainly when its lower. If I have ANY more then a - .5 degree of camber, the tire will rub on the spring perches on the inner sidewall. Ive slotted my Tein's out and run adj camber bolts. But it is extremely close, im going to look into some 5mm spacers if they make em.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:24 AM
^^ I have plenty of 5mm wheel spacers. Let me know if you want to buy some.
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 1:01 PM
Sasuke wrote:^^ I have plenty of 5mm wheel spacers. Let me know if you want to buy some.

extremely interested....

drop me an email ecocavi@gmail.com thanks

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:00 PM
Frank C wrote:Hello everyone

I have just installed the TEIN SS coil over suspension kit on my 2004 cavalier Z24 and I’m having a major problem, the from strut unit is extremely close the tire. I can't even fit my figure in between, has anyone come across this and is there a fix I really like the suspension but it's really unsafe and it looks like I might have to take it out because I really don't want to continue driving the car this way. Is there anyone out there has the same suspension on their car our know what do about this. I'm afraid that if i hit a bump the tire might hit the spring and blow the tire.

Thank you
Frank

like said they should rub at all, the distance from the strut and the tire stays fixed once you mount the wheel.

-low tire pressure where the tire deflects a good deal
-lose lugs
-hub bearing has play

will usually be the cause for it to rub, etc.

even with camber changes, the strut is bolted to the spindle, so that doesnt move and since the wheel is bolted to the hub, unless the hub has play, everything will stay constant with no motion.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:00 PM
SHOULD NOT RUB at all

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:56 PM
^^^ I miss your knowledge around here!!

Go Go OG Traction!!
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 8:02 PM
OG Nick wrote:^^^ I miss your knowledge around here!!

granted i never really saw myself as THAT smart, but willing to learn, test, etc....

theres still alot of great peeps here but thanx for the words

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 8:13 PM
I miss how humble you are too

But I have learned quite a bit from you and appreciate you being here.

Go Go OG Traction!!
Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:12 PM
i'm having a similar problem with mine.
sorry about the large pics...they've been coming out like this lately for me.

Friday, June 16, 2006 5:56 AM
^^^Dammmmn thats real close.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, June 16, 2006 7:59 AM
I'm going to lower it more in a bit so it's not as close. right now, it is at stock spec. I figure the lower i go, the higher the springs have to go. I'm going to see how close it sits when it's at least 1.75" dropped. Give me a few minutes and i'll take another pic after i'm done. I'm going to quickly pop my other balljoint out.

Friday, June 16, 2006 8:48 AM
Hello again everyone,

Well it looks like there are two people now in the same boat, we have the exact same gap between the inner wheel and coil-over. I am on the phone with tein as I speak and they are looking into the problem. It looks like this is the first time they are hearing about this problem for a cavalier. I am looking forward to seeing if lowering your car "OSO" will leave a bigger gap because if it does then i will do the same. Tonight I will be going to a local tire shop to see if they can make me a spacer. I will let you all know when i do this.
Friday, June 16, 2006 10:21 AM
it's still too close for me. no matter where i put it, it's going to touch in the back of the tire.
can i adjust this by any chance, so that i can get some room, or will it throw my suspension completely off?

i was thinking that maybe if i adjust it towards the engine bay, that i may get the additional room underneath so that it wouldn't touch. i just don't know if it is safe to do so.

i may have to go pick up some spacers. how much do they usually run for?

Friday, June 16, 2006 10:31 AM
here's a pic of a pyros car when we did his.

hopefully adjusting it to the side should help for some clearance.

Friday, June 16, 2006 11:15 AM
No adjusting that will only effect the camber, the wheel space will still stay the same because the coilover is bolted to the wheel hub. So if you slide it over the wheel will go with it. I have just got a voice mail from tein to call them back, i'm going to call them back right now and let you know what they say, and i'm going to tell them that i have found someone else with the same problem. From this point on the only solution i can think of is a wheel spacer but i don't think there is enough thread to add one. I will let you know.
Friday, June 16, 2006 11:37 AM
OSO wrote:here's a pic of a pyros car when we did his.

hopefully adjusting it to the side should help for some clearance.

adjusting the camber plate shouldnt do much if anything.

the distance in relation to the tire should always be fixed since the strut is bolted to the spindle. the wheel and tire doesnt move while on the spindle in a lateral direction.

leaning the strut inwards will also lean the tire and spindle as one unit.

notching the struts upper hole would have to be done, to move the strut indepedant of the spindle, but then you alter the angle at which the product was made to operate.

the closeness of the tire is pretty much related to the offset of your wheels as 97 cavie said up top. too large a tire/wheel combo and a further in offset. spacers will work, but make sure you dont stick the wheels out too far as the bearing has more leverage on it, and also make sure any spacer works with your HUBCENTRIC rings...

Friday, June 16, 2006 5:03 PM
Yeah I just went out and took a look at mine. There is at least a fingers disatance between the strut and the wheel. Plenty of room. Looks like were gonna have to take the spacer route to fix this.

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!

Saturday, June 17, 2006 5:25 PM
can the tires get damaged if the springs are constantly making contact?

for now, my car is staying at stock height, but it looks wierd.
it's been a while since my car has been at that height.

Saturday, June 17, 2006 7:21 PM
get an alignment.

Monday, June 19, 2006 12:18 PM
POOP!!! When I first put my Basics on, I had the fronts halfway down and they didn't rub at all. then I lowered it to about three quarters down and when I put my steelies on today, the drivers front was rubbing bad. the paint is gone off of the lowest coil and there is a groove in the tire. So now I gotta figure this out. The passenger side is fine. I am on stock wheels, with 225s by the way. Damn it all anyway.

Go Go OG Traction!!
Monday, June 19, 2006 12:34 PM
With my Tein SS kit I have vary little clearnace with a 205 stock tire, looks like your prolem is with the 225's, you might have to go back to a stock tire.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search