Rear brake is banging? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear brake is banging?
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 11:29 AM
Ok here's the deal guys. I have had a problem with my right rear brake for about the last month. It all started when I had decided to replace the drum covers (they had 100,000 miles on them and were corroding. When I put the new set on, I noticed a slight rubbing squeal whenever I applied the brakes. It occured as if there was one spot that was out of perfect circular allignment and as the cover rotated, it would hit that spot and let the squeal out, almost like as if a bent rim hits the bad spot every so many times per rotation.

Well since then I have replaced the springs, the brake adjuster, and the drum cover as I had assumed it was a non perfectly circular cover since the rubbing only happened on the new cover, not the older one. Well even with the newest cover, the squealing is happening. It never occured to me that maybe the original cover was bent with the brake backing lip, and that was why the squealing never happened with the older cover.

So anyways, I took the cover off and tried to find an imperfection in the lip that the cover slides into, and found a very small divet, almost invisible. Well I tried to flatten it out, and now the squeal has turned into a banging. Same intervals as the squealing, only louder.

My question is how hard is it to replace the rear brake base? Not the springs and pads, but the actual hub that the springs are based over. Or if it is possible to fix it, any ideas? It sounds really bad as I brake and don't want anymore wear damage if possible. Thanks!

ShiftyCav wrote:thats probably the dumbest thing i have ever heard. you should take that serpentine belt and wrap it around your neck.

Re: Rear brake is banging?
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 2:26 PM
I have a similar issue but on both sides... I've been putting off fixing it for about a month now as the brakes work just fine still... but I have been getting more concerned about it... I think Lenko said it was a problem with the adjuster being seized or something like that....

Knowledge about everything and yet an expert of nothing!!
Jack of all trades.
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 10:06 PM
The only thing about that issue is that I have replaced both adjusters and with the stock drum covers, they work fine. It's the right side replacement that sucks. And I needed to replace them them becuase the rot was awful.

ShiftyCav wrote:thats probably the dumbest thing i have ever heard. you should take that serpentine belt and wrap it around your neck.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 9:06 AM
Last time i had mine out... i had the wonderful banging noise... I have no clue what it is, i've lubed everything that should be... i got new drums again, if it continues i will spend the $840 and go rear disk. They look purdy too and my cruiser has disk all the way around and i like the feel better.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 9:32 AM
It's not really easy, but if you've taken the drum and shoes all apart then there isn't much more to go.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 11:04 AM
I know that it has to be the lip that is bent, but is there a tool that can expand the bend out, sorta like a reverse pliers? The bend in the lip is starting to dig into the brake pad a tiny bit, so I definately need to get this figured out. But I guess the rear disc conversion is an option, although I was not planning on doing that for a while.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search