Shake ..Vibration..Front end..HELP..? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Shake ..Vibration..Front end..HELP..?
Wednesday, June 07, 2006 11:07 AM
Last Thursday l was on the 427 ( Tononto Highway ) and l hit a lift in the road..2inch raised pavement it was under a bridge and l couldn't see it coming....
Nevertheless now l have this shake vibration type thing that starts around 1700rpms and you tend to feel it more under heavy acceleration....but you don't feel it coasting.....?
This removes any Tire / wheel type of problem......

I've heard everything from Axcels to CV's to Trannie.....

I figured l'd ask the pro's......What you all thinkin...?

ohya...2000 Caviler Z24 lowered on eibach sportlines and KYB GR2's...

I just left GM and they are all scratching their heads....the little computer thingie they use says that all Cyl. are running well....no misfires....

No sort of sound or handling problems besides this shake.....

Idaes...?

Re: Shake ..Vibration..Front end..HELP..?
Wednesday, June 07, 2006 11:31 AM
Take it to a tire shop for a wheel balence and have them check to see if the wheels are bent any. Its far more likely a rim is bent then the other stuff you listed.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 2:00 PM
I'll take "Final Drives Missing Teeth" for $1000 Alex.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 2:12 PM
If the transmision was missing teeth then it would grind / slip out of gear / or act like you kicked it out of gear.
Missing teeth wouldn't let the car keep going without makeing an ungoddly racket that no one would miss.

Tires with broken belts or rims that are bent will be fine at lower speeds but as the speed increases the ballence becomes more important and much more noticeable. have you ever been behind a car whos tire is hopping completely off the road surface at highway speeds and then gone to surface streets and it stops bouncing like that? Thats because its un-ballenced.

Look I could be wrong but its an easy enough check and unless you've spun them on a ballencing machine sometimes its hard to tell.

Thursday, June 08, 2006 9:13 AM
^ No, it won't make very much noise. He's describing the exact symptoms of final drive missing teeth. It's a splined gear remember. I've had this happen to me personally.

It still could be the other things. I would definately try getting the tires ballanced, rims checked, take a look at the CVs and bearings and whatnot. But I wouldn't be suprised when they're all good.

Thursday, June 08, 2006 10:24 AM
Huh ! Thanks man I did not know that. The trannys I'm used to if a gear looses teeth its a horrible sound not unlike throwing a hand full of bolts into a garbage disposal. So sorry man hope it didn't sound like I was being a prick. C.T.S. I bow down before your J-body transmission knowledge.

Now that I know this (thanks C.T.S.) its possible, but I'd check and rule out the cheap stuff first.

Thursday, June 08, 2006 4:31 PM

Huh....

I took it to my guy and we jacked up the front end then tossed it on some stands......

He sad that the front drivers side cv was wabbling and the front right cv was out abit from the sleeve...clean axel near the sleeve leads him to believe that the cv has jurked of move 2's in or out....

Nevertheless still no real answer just a ton of guesses....

This may end up costing a ton...

Thursday, June 08, 2006 4:32 PM

Oh ya l forgot to mention that it shakes in all four gears.....4speed auto...2.4L

Sunday, June 11, 2006 8:12 PM

By the looks of things the lower front Passenger side engine mount took the hit.....

its bent sideways and doesnt look healthly...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search