I need just a little help - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I need just a little help
Monday, June 05, 2006 1:23 PM
ok well i plan on lowering my car tommorrow. the biggest question i have is when should i compress the spring...before i take the strut from off my car or after i get it off of my car???? i have a friend helpion me and he knows how to reasemble the struts and springs, but i was just curious about when to compress the spring cuz i heard that it could blast through cement walls....we all know i dont want that amount of force shooting at my face!!!!so if someone could...please kind of give me some step by step instructions on how to do this or at least some tips....thanks

Re: I need just a little help
Monday, June 05, 2006 1:27 PM
You probly won't be able to compress it on the car due to the shape of the body and the axles and the control arms and such. Remove it set it down and then compress them. However before you remove them you may want to loosen the big nut in the center at the top first as its not easy to hold the strut assembly and take it off.
Only break it loose as its the only thing holding the spring/strut together once its removed.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, June 05, 2006 1:33 PM
take the struts out of the car then use a spring compressor to compress the springs

Monday, June 05, 2006 5:19 PM
do what i did to install my springs/struts:

go to your local hardware or parts store. rent a spring compressor (the kind that has the bolts you tighten.) this will run you like 7$ a day..........TRUST ME ITS WORTH THE 7 DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!

then put the 2 hooks around the top of the spring and the other 2 around the bottom and tighten down.....then take the top of the strut assemly off, then slowly uncompress the spring.

if you have an experienced friend he should know this.

DO NOT............I REPEAT DO NOT TRY TO HALF-ASS THIS BY TAKING IT APART.

those springs are under intense pressure and will rape you if you dont do it right.....

- Cameron (CaliforniaCavalier)
- www.csc-motorsports.com (my new NOR-CAL car club site!)

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 8:47 AM
Those rentals are free here.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 11:53 AM
read

same basic concept... .3rd page scroll down till you see lots of pics. this will not only tell you when to use the compressors, its a complete step by step guide... i would only worry about the parts that pertain to you tho
good luck with this!@

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 1:25 PM
HA the rentals are free here too but its a $70.00 deposit for the tool, but you get every penny back.

But yeah $7.00 ain't that bad.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search