Tokico or KYB - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tokico or KYB
Monday, June 05, 2006 5:34 AM
So its about time to replace my factory struts and I was thinking about th e KYB AGX's but a few of my friends have mentioned Tokico's are better so I was just wondering if you guys had any input on this?

BTW I'll be putting them on with new Eibach springs.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Re: Tokico or KYB
Monday, June 05, 2006 5:53 AM
depends what they are talking about. if you arent lowered then the agx will be more than enough. if you arent lowered then the tokico hps will be fine also.

if you are lowered (not lower than 1.5") then the agxs will be fine. if you are dropped more than 1.5" then i suggest the tokico d-specs

Monday, June 05, 2006 5:57 AM
The Eibach's are a 1.7 and 2.3 inch drop I believe so I'm guessing the Tokicos would be the better bet then ?

Monday, June 05, 2006 6:11 AM
yes because agxs are only warrentied up to a 1.5" drop so anything pass that they wont replace for you. if it was a 1.7" all the way around you might be able to use the agx for a while but i wouldnt away i mean why waste money on struts that you know are gonna void a warrenty when you put them on.

you can use the d-specs or you can use koni yellows, whichever you choose. both are like 550 for the set. d-specs are full replacements, where as the yellows are a direct replacement for the rears but inserts for the fronts (meaning you would have to cut your front strut right above the knuckle and slide in the insert so you can bolt it to the car)

Monday, June 05, 2006 6:16 AM
Yeah and I'm SO not wanting to cut apart a strut ! So Tokico is then! would the blues work or only the d-spec?
Money is not an issue I just want a good ride and lowered so if you have any better sugestions I'm open. No I do not want air ride so don't go there

Monday, June 05, 2006 6:22 AM
Hey Bagged one more thing, would you recomend Tien S-tec's to the Eibach Pro Kit or is there someone elses springs that would be better.

Monday, June 05, 2006 7:07 AM
tokico blues are actually called tokico hps. people just call them blues because the strut itself is actually blue. those are only to be used w/ oem springs and not meant to handle any drop.

if you want the pro-kit thats a 1.4" drop and you could use the agxs (this is a very popular setup) with them. the s-techs are a 1.7" drop and you would need d-specs or yellows. like i said though agx would probably be able to work but why bother spending the money when its gonna void the warrenty. both springs are good though

Monday, June 05, 2006 7:21 AM
Ok thanks but I found Gravana has a package deal for the D-specs and the Tien S-tec's so thats the way I'm going.

So ya think it'll ride better then my 2"drop Megan Racing and factory strut combe I'm sportin now? I sure hope so anyway !

Thanks man you've been a big help.

Monday, June 05, 2006 7:24 AM
much much better. it might not at first but you'll have to adjust the struts to get it to where you like. the d-specs are adjusted damping so you should be able to find a setting you like

Monday, June 05, 2006 7:28 AM
i just ordered a set of tokicos on ebay, 500 bucks shipped. brand new dspecs

Monday, June 05, 2006 8:16 AM
Awesome thanks man!

And Gravana is selling the d-specs with Tien springs for like $700 and something so it sounds like the price is right on.

Monday, June 05, 2006 5:14 PM
i bought tokico d-specs and H&R springs from gravana....and couldnt be happier.

i love the fact you can adjust all 4 ride quality in less then a few minutes.

and to start out: i would set the tokicos you get like 4 turns from the hardest, and if you want harder go from there. i usually do 3 turns from hardest in summer for racing purposes and 4 turns in winter.

good luck!

- Cameron (CaliforniaCavalier)
- www.csc-motorsports.com (my new NOR-CAL car club site!)

Monday, June 05, 2006 8:28 PM
Ive put mine down 7 turns from the hardest settings so the Shocks are worned out for the first 1000kms

Ill put mine at hard after that. Has of now my Tokico rides better then my Koni Yellow.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My Car Specs
Tuesday, June 06, 2006 4:59 AM
Awesome guys thanks I was wondering where to set them from the start.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 8:34 AM
Jackalope wrote:Awesome guys thanks I was wondering where to set them from the start.

yes.. to break the tokicos in you have to set them a lot softer. then after about 500-1000 miles you can adjust them to where you want. but to start i would recommend about 7-8 turns from hardest....like elpaso said.

- Cameron (CaliforniaCavalier)
- www.csc-motorsports.com (my new NOR-CAL car club site!)

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 8:43 AM
^ ^ ^ ???? Break in the sturts ? I've never heard of such a thing before ! Damn I'm glad you said something cause I NEVER would have known !

Thank You !!

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 10:23 AM
Jackalope wrote:^ ^ ^ ???? Break in the sturts ? I've never heard of such a thing before ! Damn I'm glad you said something cause I NEVER would have known !

Thank You !!

Its like the brakes, engine, etc. you have to Break it in for the first KMs or what the constructor ask.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My Car Specs
Wednesday, June 07, 2006 11:34 AM
Brakes and engines I know but this is news to me, thanks everyone !

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 1:14 PM
the struts should be good to go as soon as you get them. you shouldnt have to break them in

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 1:40 PM
^ ^ ^ Ok now I'm confused. Well Ef it they come with a life time warrenty so I'm gonna drive it like I stole it and if they break I'll warrenty them out !!

Thursday, June 08, 2006 4:05 AM
Jackalope wrote:^ ^ ^ Ok now I'm confused. Well Ef it they come with a life time warrenty so I'm gonna drive it like I stole it and if they break I'll warrenty them out !!

if you abuse them, they wont warrenty the strut. they have pretty much the same policy as koni has. theres no set limit on them but if you abuse the strut, they wont replace it for you

Thursday, June 08, 2006 4:52 AM
Ok so I won't do any Dukes of Hazzard style jumps, but seriously how can / could / would break in a strut ? Drive only on smooth roads for the first couple hundred miles ? Dodge all speed bumps and pot holes ? This is why I don't understand it cuase how can you dodge everything out there ?

Thursday, June 08, 2006 5:32 AM
you dont have to break them in. once you set them, they should be good to go right out of the box.

my konis were like that. just set them, put them on and their good

Thursday, June 08, 2006 6:30 AM
Thanks man.

Thursday, June 08, 2006 8:06 AM
i just got my tokico's in the mail, i cant wait for the sportlines!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search