spring installation - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
spring installation
Friday, June 02, 2006 9:46 PM
just wanted to know how did you guys get it done... i mean did you do it yourself or did you goto a mechanic... seems like everywhere you go they charge you for 2-3 hour labour job + alignment which is quite a lot. so to sum it all up you could easily end up paying 500-600 $... never minding struts!!!

Re: spring installation
Friday, June 02, 2006 9:54 PM
guess my point being that lowering is probably the most expensive mod , next to turbo
Friday, June 02, 2006 11:07 PM
Did it myself. I have a pair of spring compressors but you can get a loaner pair from Autozone and you'll get your deposit back. If you do it yourself it's easier to loosen (not take off completely!) the nut on top of the front strut rods before removing the struts from the car. Also had to use a brass drift to get the lower mounting bolts out cuz they're knurled. New springs may not even require compressing depending on what springs you get. All in all I think I did it in less than four hours.

Saturday, June 03, 2006 8:54 PM
Where are you? Ontario, Georgia? Post in the Regional forums, there's plenty of gearheads that will help you out in exchange for a case of beer. You might be stuck for the alignment, but Firestone is running a $40 special right now (with ad).

Sunday, June 04, 2006 4:05 PM
I did my spring install myself. I put the Eibach Pro Kit in. It took one and a half hours for the rears and around two for the fronts. I used the loan a tool from Canadian Tire which required me to pay for the spring compressor and the when I returned it I got my money back. Having a impact gun made the job go smoothly. Doing it myself saved me $75 a spring which is what the local alignment shop wanted for the install.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j130/mykeln/mysig.jpg
Sunday, June 04, 2006 4:55 PM
yeah i did it my self at a shop we have on the army post i am at. i got it dont in an hour and a half with a friend. it is really easy to do.
Monday, June 05, 2006 11:30 AM
I do spring installs for cheap in Toronto. Drop me a PM if you want it done.

Monday, June 05, 2006 9:34 PM
Check out http://www.bradiscool.com to see what it takes to do the job.

I would talk to Wild Weasel if you want to save some loot though.
Tuesday, June 06, 2006 11:21 AM
Stevefire on here did mine for $60 cdn. Took just under 3 hrs. was cool seeing how it was done.

1998 Z24 Convertible
Mods: AEM Pulley Kit, AEM Full Intake, Apexi Muffler, 4-2-1 Header, APC Seats, Dropzone Coilovers, More to Come!
Tuesday, June 06, 2006 3:32 PM
finally I got it done today! took less than 2 hours for experienced mechanic. the car is much more grounded now, i love it! Doing 4 wheel alignment 1st thing tomorrow. The next thing will be strut tower bars. I'll post some pictures later on tonite! Thanks for all your inputs guys!
Tuesday, June 06, 2006 4:13 PM

Thursday, June 08, 2006 12:44 PM
good on ya. ya i can lower a J in 2 hrs using hand tools. done tons of them. don't need no spring compressor neither!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search