Looking to drop! - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Looking to drop!
Friday, June 02, 2006 11:19 AM
Hello,

I have a 2003 cavalier, and I am looking to drop it! I am just curious what all you guys would go for?(COILOVERS OR SPRINGS.STRUTS SET)

I Just hear so much about this being better that and that being better than this, that I don't even know what would be my best bet in the end.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks,
Thomas

Hi

Re: Looking to drop!
Friday, June 02, 2006 11:29 AM
best bet is to read the faqs. theres so many setups and possibilites out there, its endless. first decide what you want, either springs or coils. then once you decide that then pick your struts accordingly. if you read the faqs it will tell you what parts are good to buy and what is crap. it will also help you on matching up struts to what you want

Friday, June 02, 2006 11:58 AM
Thanks, sorry for bugging you with my noobness/Lack of Faq reading...

Thomas

Hi

Friday, June 02, 2006 4:23 PM
I would go coils, the adjustability is nice, i have had both springs and coils and i will never return to springs. IMO

Friday, June 02, 2006 9:13 PM
as the faqs say, figure out the amount of drop you want, and whether you want adjustability, and go from there.

Saturday, June 03, 2006 12:44 AM
I want to go coils, but I am still extremely new to the whole thing...

With Coilovers you don't have to buy struts, correct?

Hi

Saturday, June 03, 2006 10:36 AM
no you need new struts no matter what when you lower. if you get coils you need either d-specs or yellows

Saturday, June 03, 2006 2:11 PM
yea, you DO need to buy struts no matter how low you go... especially if you go the route of coilovers.
for a coilover setup i would go with Ground Control Coilovers, and Kony Yellows. it would probably be the "best" setup.

Sunday, June 04, 2006 10:49 PM
I know you get what you pay for and all, that is my philosiphy with pretty much everything. But the only reason I am able to do this is because I got some sweet grad money, and I am spending it on something, I could add a bit, but I believe the ground controls are around $1200? I know there is another setup cheaper that I can still afford, I may just go with springs... I don't know.

Hi

Sunday, June 04, 2006 11:22 PM
Correction I think!

Is this the ground control you are referring to?

Ground Control for KYB struts, also one for KONI

Hi

Monday, June 05, 2006 4:14 AM
ground controls should only be used on yellows or dspecs not any kyb strut. the setup for ground controls and konis will run you about 1200 brand new

Monday, June 05, 2006 8:25 AM
You can always go to Tein Basics.. search and do some read up on those and see if u like em.. be a lil cheaper new than the GC and yellow comboi believe.. but yes.. GC and yellows are definatly a good kit.. if ur really serious about suspension there is always Tein Super Streets but GC and yellows will definatly get the job done.. spend a lil more now and save u some and hassle later..

Monday, June 05, 2006 11:09 AM
Ok, I have read up on the tein basics, so, for example: It says 2.4 drop front and 2.5 rear, does that mean MAX drop? Cause they're coilovers they are adjustable I am assuming, lawlz.

Sorry I am stupid with his.

Hi

Monday, June 05, 2006 12:46 PM
yes thats probably the max they go. coils you can adjust, springs you cant

Monday, June 05, 2006 5:16 PM
but springs will give you a smoother and less-bouncy ride IMO. i have riden in cars with both, and got H&R springs and tokico d-specs for my car and i love the adjustibility of the smoothness and its a nice drop of almost 2 inches.

- Cameron (CaliforniaCavalier)
- www.csc-motorsports.com (my new NOR-CAL car club site!)

Monday, June 05, 2006 6:29 PM
What are all the most well known/Suggested Shocks/Struts out there? Just curious cause I have never really heard of Tokico or H&R, so I guess I am curious if there is more out there quality wise other than Eibach, Koni and KYB...?

Hi

Monday, June 05, 2006 7:11 PM
Killerbee2k3 wrote:What are all the most well known/Suggested Shocks/Struts out there? Just curious cause I have never really heard of Tokico or H&R, so I guess I am curious if there is more out there quality wise other than Eibach, Koni and KYB...?

tokico d-specs kick the a$$ of KYB, and H&R springs are better then eibach(crap), IMO.

the tokico shocks are about the same quality as koni, just easier install.

Monday, June 05, 2006 7:17 PM
I think I may go with your setup Cali if you don't mind me 'copying' haha. Just from you and other things I've read it seems to be the best way to go!

Hi

Monday, June 05, 2006 7:19 PM
So CaliforniaCavy: This is your setup correct?

Tokico

H&R

Hi

Monday, June 05, 2006 8:31 PM
you could also Consider the Tein S.tech 1.7 drop infront and on the back 1.5 drop.

I love the rake that gives to the car.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My Car Specs
Monday, June 05, 2006 10:11 PM
Killerbee2k3 wrote:So CaliforniaCavy: This is your setup correct?

Tokico

H&R

^^ yup thats the setup i used. last year when i was saving up for my suspension, i spent weeks online researching
diffrent combos and what worked best.

elpaso wrote:you could also Consider the Tein S.tech 1.7 drop infront and on the back 1.5 drop.

I love the rake that gives to the car.

again....this is my opinion, but tein does not make the best springs for jbods. everyone loves thier springs for hondas and other imports, so people assumme because of the name that the springs will be just as good for our cavvys, but thats just not the case according to my research.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 4:00 AM
CaliforniaCavalier wrote: H&R springs are better then eibach(crap), IMO.

i have to disagree on this, eibach makes one of the top springs for cavs.

if you read the faq's it will tell you everything that is good and bad. if people just take 15 mins to read throught it you'll see

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 7:44 AM
I have the Eibach ProKit with adjustables KYB AGXs and they are awsome...best kit ever...lot of ppl recomend it and they are 100% correct....I recomend them too
the ride is excellent, better than stock, a reasonable height, but nothing too low

CaviFL45

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 7:45 AM
lol. it seems like a pattern i have seen is that NOONE reads the FAQ's, there should be this thing when you enter that you need to read all the faqs before you can register.

Thursday, June 08, 2006 8:31 PM
springs if u have another car for the winter....i am selling some eibach sportlines if ur interested. i lowered my 2000 sunfire with em and was ok in the winter....just personal preference really
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search