painting drums - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
painting drums
Friday, June 02, 2006 7:23 PM
when i go to paint my rear drums with the kit they sell at autozone, do i need to take the drum off the car or can i just tape off everything around it and put the paint on?

this is a brush on kit btw.

Re: painting drums
Friday, June 02, 2006 8:15 PM
I just did this last week. I took em off for more easy manuverability, but I suppose you could leave em on, it would be harder to reach certain spots though. I only needed one kit but bought two, took the other one back. it looks good, especially if you have rims. Not as good as a big brake kit though...
Friday, June 02, 2006 8:21 PM
lmfao, the drum spins...............no need to take it off at all. no real need for tape, just dont slop it on...

Friday, June 02, 2006 9:09 PM
wait, wait.... they actually sell a kit for that?! HAHAHA ... omg thats funny... (no offense to you, who actually bought this, you looked into it more than i did, and probably took a much more expensive way into doing this)

i also just did this a couple weeks ago. all you really need is a $5 can of enamel spraypaint (color of your choice), and some time to jack the car up, take the wheel off, take the drum off, walk down to the curb with the drum, take a wire brush on a drill to the drum so all excess road dirt and rust comes off until you have a clean surface, and then paint to your heart's content... itll last for a long enough time, and looks just as good as any kit ever could. i did it, and it looks great. (i did mine flat black as to not exaggerate something that, imo, is ugly)

brush on is basically the same, except you dont need to take the drum off, or tape anything up for that matter. the only reason you would tape anything off is if you would spray anything on it, because of overspray and such, but no overspray with a brush . go with what jWagg said for this one.

again, no offense to you or anyone else who bought the kit, but i think you guys got suckered into something that shouldnt cost more than the $5 for the spraypaint... and maybe some more for the brush. so figure any more than $10 is a big rip-off for something this simple. i already had the brush, and i got the paint for free... so take it that for what its worth....

good luck tho man, im sure itll look awesome despite all its negatives , im just not one to believe in paying way too much for anything...

Saturday, June 03, 2006 2:56 PM
how about it comes with high heat paint...lol.. and it comes with stuff to clean the drum........and theres no overspray that can float onto the car. its a more vivid color...... plus i believe its special paint, if you paint your drums, the heat tends to get locked in and it will make your brakes pulse, this paint lets the heat out.its like 10 bucks anyways....

Saturday, June 03, 2006 3:31 PM
F what yall say, mine look good. I took the drum ( and caliper ) off. Some people ( rookies) would have forgotten to take the e- brake off ( therefore the drum wouldn't spin). I just installed my sportlines and koni yellows, and the red drum matches my spraypainted ADDCO swaybars, and sportlines for a better look. FYI its easier to knock something and hate it, than to say something positive and congratulate it.
Saturday, June 03, 2006 3:50 PM
as i said, i didnt look into it. so lets call my opinion a slight bit "uninformed" lol, so for that i appologize.
imo a simple spraypaint would do for most common applications, is all im sayin. what i mean is; whos really using their stock drums for anything that will create an overexcessive amount of heat, so much to the point where theres a problem with the paint on them? or to that point where its said that a regular paint will cause problems with the heat? or something like that... i dunno, i would guess that not too many people will use their stock rear drums for high power braking. even though the bulk of the load goes to the front of the car under hard braking, the rear drums will still be less sufficient and will slow your possible stop time, and increase possible stopping distance and overall power, so at that point i realy wouldnt be concerned with the paint on them, as opposed to what they really are. anyway, thats getting into a completely different subject all together...

i guess if the kit costs about the same tho, then why not? haha. that was really the only issue i had with the kit, price. that, and i may have overexaggurated the fact that i thought it was funny, because now that i see what it is, it sounds pretty intellegent. so, with all of that said, i am now a bit more informed on the subject, thank you!, i can now say that i know a possible easier, and better way to paint your drums then having to do all of what i had listed in my last post. so it all works out in the end i guess

Saturday, June 03, 2006 8:51 PM
^If you don't know what you're talking about, please shut up.

The caliper paints are ceramic based, not enamel based. So they won't bake off at temperatures around 300*, which happens plenty often with brake parts. The duplicolor kit costs like $15 and comes with everything you'll need: cleaner, tape, paint, brush, instructions (like anyone reads them). And comes with enough paint to do 2 or 3 cars worth of calipers (less with drums obviously).

Sunday, June 04, 2006 6:32 PM
thank you

Sunday, June 04, 2006 7:09 PM
also guys i heard when doing the calipers with a paint on kit you might not even need to take them off? is that true?
Sunday, June 04, 2006 7:43 PM
ya, just paint around them with a brush when you buy the 15 dollar kit....., just paint....

Monday, June 05, 2006 6:53 AM
C.T.S wrote:^If you don't know what you're talking about, please shut up.

The caliper paints are ceramic based, not enamel based. So they won't bake off at temperatures around 300*, which happens plenty often with brake parts. The duplicolor kit costs like $15 and comes with everything you'll need: cleaner, tape, paint, brush, instructions (like anyone reads them). And comes with enough paint to do 2 or 3 cars worth of calipers (less with drums obviously).

hey man, i appologized... i admitted i was wrong, no need to make me feel like a TOTAL ass. geez... i said, i now know a better way to do it, so there really was no reason to come outta the blue in attack mode.

Monday, June 05, 2006 9:27 AM
whatever, im a tool... im sorry. ill keep my mouth shut

Monday, June 05, 2006 9:57 AM
Yeeees because everyone MUST use the super special ceramic based wonder paint that costs more then double what any old rattle can does and does the exact same thing ! Look I'm not knocking your caliper paint kit all I'm saying is I've painted calipers and drums with a regular old rattle can for almost 20 years now, Hell people have been doing this since the 50's and do you think they had special paint ? NO they most certainly did not .
Get the kit if you like but regular old every day run of the mill rattle can paint works just as good .

Just because somethings brand new and ceramic based doesn't mean it's any better then the tried and true 50+ year old way of doing it either . Some of us have better things to spend our money on then over hyped paint.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, June 05, 2006 10:41 AM
C.T.S wrote:^If you don't know what you're talking about, please shut up.

I'm probably an idiot for asking but wouldn't ceramic paint on drums be a horrible idea?? I thought ceramic coatings, like on headers, keep the heat in... Wouldn't that be a bad thing to have?? Ideally a metallic based paint would be best to use so that the heat would be transferred quicker... Or am I way wrong here...

Knowledge about everything and yet an expert of nothing!!
Jack of all trades.
Monday, June 05, 2006 11:02 AM
Kinda. The ceramic paint is designed to hold up to extreme temperatures like those of a header. Myself, I think this ceramic paint is a little over kill, I mean by the time the brakes get any where near hot enough to blister off the paint our brakes would have faded and glazzed over long before its happening. The brakes on our cars will never see the types of temps that ceramic paint says it can handle so I really see no point to it.

Regular spray paint has worked, continues to work and will work just as good as this stuff does.

Hell what do you think we used before this came out?

Monday, June 05, 2006 11:14 AM
bought some drum/caliper paint $6 bucks and a can of brake cleaner, used a wire brush and some steel wool to knock off the chunks, and sprayed the @!#$ out of them with brake cleaner, half assed masked my wheelwell with some newspaper did one coat went to the other side repeated, then came back and put on a second coat 15-20 mins later. 2 years and counting no problems at all.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 9:45 AM
Jackalope wrote:Yeeees because everyone MUST use the super special ceramic based wonder paint that costs more then double what any old rattle can does and does the exact same thing ! Look I'm not knocking your caliper paint kit all I'm saying is I've painted calipers and drums with a regular old rattle can for almost 20 years now, Hell people have been doing this since the 50's and do you think they had special paint ? NO they most certainly did not .
Get the kit if you like but regular old every day run of the mill rattle can paint works just as good .

Just because somethings brand new and ceramic based doesn't mean it's any better then the tried and true 50+ year old way of doing it either . Some of us have better things to spend our money on then over hyped paint.

and now i feel better about myself and a bit less of a tool, lol. thanks for that jackalope. i was starting to think i was the only one whos done it, and i was a complete retard for trying... but now i feel ok about it, because it really doesnt seem like it was SOOO WRONG to do.

im gonna reitterate what i said before, just because i still believe it to be true to some extent... take it or leave it... IMHO[/b[, i really dont think many ppl are using, or even can use their stock drums in a way that they will create an overexcessive amount of heat, so much to the point where theres a problem with the paint on them, because at the point where heat would become the problem with stopping power, i realy wouldnt be concerned with the paint on the drums, as opposed to in the end, what they really are: ugly, insufficient junk...

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 10:05 AM
I painted my drums and calipers on my orange Cavi in the GM color match spray paint almost three years ago,
waaaay back in October of 2003 and it's still there, still looks as good as the day I painted it and guess what ?
I''ve also used it to paint some the engine components too ! :: GASP :: Thats right, No hi-temp uber paint for me
or my car !

Jon, don't feel like a "tool" just because you dare to question the god like greatness that is the org because in this case you not alone but rather far far from it as this used to be the only way to do it for over 50 years. Your just fine.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 11:47 AM
thanks man, its good to know

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search