can I lower? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
can I lower?
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 10:20 PM
Ok, seems like a dumb question. However, my problem is with my tires. I have 235/45/17 tires (yes I know wrong size, came with the rims) and it seems like they will rub the bumper or something if I lower, but I'm not completely sure. I plan on getting the Eibach Pro-kit to go with my KYB AGX's, so it won't be too much of a drop but I don't want to be rubbing. If I'm going to rub then I'll just wait until I buy new tires to lower it. I hope I provided enough info...my profile is up to date. Thanks.

Tim

Re: can I lower?
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 10:46 PM
what's the offset on the rim? the width? 235 is wide, it might rub on the suspension, although 225 in not much smaller, and recommended. it really depends on what the offset of the rim is, to see where the tire is located in relation to the suspension.
as far as rubbing somewhere on the body, I'm running 225's, and dropped 1.75" all the way around on Goldlines, and I've had no issues with my tires rubbing on the body.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 4:01 AM
yea the offset would matter. if your running like a 35-38mm offset then you should be fine. anything higher than that it might touch. im running a 48mm offset w/ a 225 tire and im fine but like i said since your tire is 10mm wider than mine, im not sure if you go up higher if its gonna touch or not

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:13 AM
I was never told the offset of the wheel when I bought it...is there a way I can measure it?
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:23 AM
Well I googled the brand Primax Racing and came up with a list of sites. I looked around for my rim, the 618, and found it. I guess they must be 17x7 because thats the only 17" 618 I found. Here is a site off the list.

http://adaptivestrategies.com/PrimaxTuner.html

Thanks guys

Tim
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:31 AM
I got the same size tire on a set of Enkie CDR9's, lowered on spint spring and mine don't rub. It's pretty close, but it never rubs.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 9:02 AM
More offset will move the tire in. So BD98's 48 is farther away from the fender. Primax's lowest offset rims are 35. So you should be set. It will be close though.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 10:53 AM
Yeah I'm retarded...about 2 seconds after I made that post I was like, "in 17x7 the 7 is the width of the wheel, you just made yourself sound like an idiot"

I wish there was a way to know exactly what the offset is so I know, but I've been reading this site for almost a year and a few of the more respectable guys said that it will work, so I guess I'll go for it. I have a few maintence issues to take care of at the moment, but by the end of the summer I hope my car will be on the Pro-kit. Thanks guys

Tim
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 11:10 AM
you may get a bit of rubbing at full turn on the inside or perhaps abit when turned and ging over bumps in corners but the Pro Kit is a pretty stout spring. i used to run 235/45/17's on ADR rims at 17x7.5 with a 38mm offset and i had lots of little rubs here and there. i run Sprint springs and got new bumpstops and put them in a full length and it stopped all the rubbing. had to rol the rear fenders a bit but they're easy t roll.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search