-When and what should I replace (springs, struts)? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
-When and what should I replace (springs, struts)?
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 2:01 PM
I have a 98 Cavalier (2.2) with all stock suspension parts that I am thinking need to be replaced soon (based on the quality of ride - saggy, poor control).

Having read most of the stuff here and elsewhere, I think I can handle the installation myself. There are a couple of thing that I would like to be clear about:

- If the vehicle has never been altered (lowered), what is normal life expectancy of suspension parts (some say 5 year, some – lifetime of the vehicle)?
- What part of suspension is responsible for ride-smoothness (is it the spring or the strut or the combination of the two)?
- Should I replace both the spring and the strut even if there is nothing wrong with the strut?
- How do I know for sure that I need a new part be that strut, strut mount, spring (whatever else)?

Would anyone be able to help me chose between Monroe Sensatracs and KYB for struts. I am a conventional driver - smooth ride to work is all I care i.e. nothing sporty

Re: -When and what should I replace (springs, stru
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 2:19 PM
Struts wear out. Period, none last forever. The life time depends on quality. OEM last about 50Kmi for an average driver before they head down hill. By 80Kmi they're probably not doing anything at all.

If you just want a stock replacement, get KYB GR2s. They work excelent and last a good long time.
If you're lowering you will want to read the FAQ for choices and whatnot.

Spring usually don't wear out within the lifetime of the car. They sag over time, and will continue to sag, but it's usually less than 1/2 per 5 years. Depends on how you drive of course. Gentle driver get less sag, Bumpy roads wear more.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 3:57 PM
driving the average 10 - 12,000 miles per year, typically i believe struts should be replaced between every 8-10 years... so with stock springs on a 98, you should consider changing your struts soon. of course that goes without considering a car with miles above or below the average, or conditions of roads around you... basically its your call on it, but its good your considering getting new stuff.
as for the springs, as C.T.S. said, they will sag, and sagging is definately a bad thing. sagging springs can wear out stock struts faster, due to the lowered height that the struts arent built for. if you put a new set of stock struts onto an old enough set of springs, you will be bottoming out over the medium/larger bumps. since youre considering replacement stock springs you wont have to worry about it.

as for the KYB vs Monroe... if youre a conventional driver, as you say you are, and arent worried about having better handling then i would go with the (probably cheaper) Monroe struts. KYB's are meant for a little bit more on the handling side, as opposed to comfort, but theyre still very good struts.

good luck with all that man, hope all goes well.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 4:46 PM
Jon DeVincenzo wrote:driving the average 10 - 12,000 miles per year, typically i believe struts should be replaced between every 8-10 years.

That average was like 4-5 years ago, now its 15-20k per year. Most manufacturers (OEM) have a recommended replacement interval of 30k miles, not 80-120k. Springs will last longer, and depending on what the vehicle has been used for, they may last the lifetime of the vehicle (around 150k on average).

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 7:38 PM
Jon DeVincenzo wrote:as for the KYB vs Monroe... if youre a conventional driver, as you say you are, and arent worried about having better handling then i would go with the (probably cheaper) Monroe struts. KYB's are meant for a little bit more on the handling side, as opposed to comfort, but theyre still very good struts.

I have personally driven regularly on both. I'll never use Monroe again. For basically the same cost, the difference in longevity is enormous.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search