question about TEIN basic springs.... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
question about TEIN basic springs....
Monday, May 29, 2006 7:15 AM
OK heres my situation. my mechanic called and said he got my TEIN high tech springs in and the rear springs are fine but the front springs he said the OEM bearing on the top of the springs is larger than the new spring so it just hovers around it. does anybody have these springs on their sar? or has anybody heard of this problem before? these are the TEIN high tech lowering springs with the 1.1 inch front drop and 1.0 inch rear. he said he followed direction including the cutting modification on the bump rubber. so i really have no clue as to what couldve happened. any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Steve Webb

My other car is an interceptor.

Re: question about TEIN basic springs....
Monday, May 29, 2006 7:31 AM
i was just checking the TEIN website and it doesent mention any additional parts for the 1.1/ 1.0 inch drop but for the basics it says "95-99Model Need to buy 00-04 Top Mt. & Upper S/P Seat " i was thinking maybe this applys to me but kind of doubt it. any help is appreciated.

Steve

Monday, May 29, 2006 8:43 AM
by the way this is on a 99 cavlier Z24. Really could use some help here. thanks.

Steve Webb

Monday, May 29, 2006 10:30 AM
i hope that does not happen to me iam getting mine put on tomorrow
Monday, May 29, 2006 12:28 PM
OK, by the sound of things it seems that I probably just need the 00-04 Top Mt. & Upper S/P Seat. If someone could confirm this and maybe give me a part # for those parts that would be great. It just has to be what it is cause the rear springs are fine but thr fronts are just not matching at the top. this seems like the very same reason that the basic kit needs the 00-04 parts. thanks for any help.

Monday, May 29, 2006 2:34 PM
what color are your springs and are they high tech spring or basic dampeners?basic dampeners are the only ones u need 00-04 top mt.&upper s/p seat.
Monday, May 29, 2006 5:56 PM
they are gold. TEIN hightechs.

Monday, May 29, 2006 6:59 PM
if there not basic dampeners then u shouldn't need top mt or s/p seat.basic dampeners are the only ones u need them for thats what tein say.
does he have them on up side down?tein say that they go right on so.
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 12:04 PM
I'm baffled. They ARE tein high tech springs so they should go right on like you say. I doubt that they're on up side down. does anyone else have any possible explanation? im pretty confused right now. any ideas any body?

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 12:59 PM
From the sounds of it, you/your mechanic is concerned that the spring is not tightly contained by the strut and upper mount.
When lowering springs are installed and the car is raised, the lowering spring remains unloaded. Thus it may seem that the install is incorrect, but it is not. The factory spring is longer and thus when installed, the strut mount holds the spring in tightly. When you use a lowering spring, obviously, this compression of the strut mount onto the spring.

Once the car is placed on the ground, the weight of the car will compress the spring to the desired ride height. The only issue that may be caused is if you hit a jump with a lowered car and get the wheels off the ground, the spring could move slightly.

tygriff
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 1:18 PM
hmmm... that could be. From what he told me he got all the parts i gave him in and took it somewhere to get an alignment and they asked him "if it was the first time he had done it". So maybe whoever he brought it to thought they were installed incorrectly. thanks for the help. any other advice greatly appreciated.

Steve

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 1:09 PM
OK heres the deal. mechanic says that the bearing that the spring is supposed to push against on the top of the front suspension is larger than the diameter of the spring so it just slides down to the bottom instead of staying at the top like its supposed to. Can anyone figure what what would cause this? I have KYB GR2s and TEIN h-tech springs, now i know this is not the best combonation as the GR2s are stock replacement and not really meant for lowering but they should still work together right? do you think maybe i got the wrong spring or somthing? I have no friggin clue as to whats going on.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 4:56 PM
call tein i would where did u get them from
Thursday, June 01, 2006 9:21 AM
got the springs from gravana as well as the struts. i e-mailed Tein USA and they said they need pictures of the area im talking about but i don't have a digital camera so.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 3:01 PM
ok go buy one or borrow one.i still do not know what u are talking about.
Friday, June 02, 2006 5:44 AM
You said your car is a 99 and that the instructions say if its a 99 then it needs the 00-04 mounts. So you just answered your own question. Get the correct mounts they recomend and the car will be fine.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Friday, June 02, 2006 5:53 AM
he does not need them for tein high tech springs they say u need 00-04 mounts if u have the basic dampeners he does not have dampeners so he does not need them
Friday, June 02, 2006 6:19 PM
mine are in and no problems.it rides so good now.
Wednesday, June 07, 2006 11:57 AM
had no problems getting it aligned? cause my mechanics all like "you can't drive it like this it will break the springs" blah blah blah. I just want my damn car back. I bet it is fine hes just worried about the losseness of the springs when its on the lift.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search