03 Front Strut, Impact wrench spins strut . . . - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
03 Front Strut, Impact wrench spins strut . . .
Saturday, May 27, 2006 7:56 PM
Installing my AGX struts on the Prokit this weekend. The Brad is Cool website is a big help. Using the impact wrench, removal was fast and painless. Back install was easy and is done. The problem. . .

The 03's have the resessed top strut mounts (with the bearings installed). There is not way to get a wrench on the the strut itself and still spin the nut. The impact wrench took one nut almost low enough, but on the other side, the nut went half way done, and stopped. Now the nut spins the sturt. I have the springs compressed.

Does anybody have an idea how to get around this, any ideas, I'll try it! If I can't figure this out, I'll have to take these front struts to Pepboys to get two nuts installed, and probalby give them my left arm. I have to get this car back together to drive back to my duty station in Key West on Monday.

Thank you in advance for any help! Allen

Re: 03 Front Strut, Impact wrench spins strut . .
Sunday, May 28, 2006 6:29 AM
After a few more hours last night and this morning, it appears there needs to be a washer under the nut. I have taken the assembly apart and ran the screw down and it is the same distance. The impact wrench is doing it's job. I revised my search fpr AGX spacer and it showed the problem. I did not get any spacers and I have to drive this car tomorrow. Which me luck looking for a spacer on a Sunday. Any idea what size?

Re: 03 Front Strut, Impact wrench spins strut . .
Sunday, May 28, 2006 7:12 AM
And to close this saga, hoping it will land in a search on the next guy doing this. PepPoys sells Mag Wheel spacers that fit perfectly into the mount, problem solved. Also, AGX front struts require a 22mm. If you have a O2 sensor tool, works perfectly. Also, you really do not need the spring compressor with the Pro-Kit. Enjoy!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search