Is GR2 shorter than the stock strut? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Is GR2 shorter than the stock strut?
Friday, May 19, 2006 4:47 PM
I have 2 Cavs, both base sedans.

One is with KYB GR2 all around, one is all stock.

They are both on the stock springs.

I've noticed the one with GR2 seats a little lower than the other one in the front. Rear heights look the same.

GR2's are meant for stock replacement, so I'm wondering why there is difference in length.

Maybe it has something to do with difference between base and Z24 suspensions? I'm not sure.

Re: Is GR2 shorter than the stock strut?
Friday, May 19, 2006 10:42 PM
The struts are the exact same lenght. Base and Z24 suspensions are also exactly the same.
I'll bet money the "lower" car is older (springs sag with time and abuse), has a larger engine, or more junk in it, or isn't actually lower.

Monday, May 22, 2006 4:16 PM
nope, not shorter at all.. they are stock replacement, and if they were shorter, that would only mean that they weren't meant for that car. as CTS said, the springs are sagging a bit...it happens.

Monday, May 22, 2006 4:28 PM
unless, you have a set of really old gr2's, when they made a miscalculation and made the spring perch slightly lower than stock. this is why for a while they wouldn't fit w/ the 16" wheels.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Monday, May 22, 2006 10:18 PM
^That's true, but that was years ago... like 3 or more.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 7:27 PM
hate to tell you, the z24 and base model suspensions arent exactly the same....
Tuesday, May 23, 2006 7:30 PM
only reason I say taht is because the book that all auto salvage yards get to cross-reference parts(gm specific) it says taht the base model suspensions arent the same. I had to get two front strut assemblys, and i thoguht they were all the same, but, the guy at the yard showed me the book...I saw the other thread but...I disagree
Thursday, May 25, 2006 3:19 AM
C.T.S wrote:^That's true, but that was years ago... like 3 or more.

Last I checked, you could still order the older part number for the GR2's with some distributers. I don't know if KYB is selling the original number anymore. But there are still some around. I did notice the old number was cheaper.

Friday, May 26, 2006 10:55 AM
Fst Cavy wrote:hate to tell you, the z24 and base model suspensions arent exactly the same....

The springs are, and so are the mounts. The struts are valved slightly differently. The sway bar in the front (or lack thereof) or the stabilizer bar in the back would not affect the vehicle height to any great degree.... so even though those are different, it won't matter in this case.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search