Back To Stock? Cost? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Back To Stock? Cost?
Thursday, May 18, 2006 7:37 PM
My car is lowered on Intrax springs with Koni Red and Yellow struts. The ride is really rough. Every bump seems brutal. I am thinking of going back to stock. I still have the stock springs. About how much do you think I would pay to have the stock springs installed and purchase and install some basic normal struts? I should be able to keep the current setup since it just unbolts, right? So, again, looking for an estimate of going to Meineke or some place and having them remove my springs and struts and buy new struts and have the stock springs re-installed. Any ideas?

Sold the Z24

Re: Back To Stock? Cost?
Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:49 PM
My experiences...

Small town independent mechanic... $160-180 all four

Large city independent mechanic... $178-300 for two

Consider doing it yourself? http://www.bradiscool.com
Thursday, May 18, 2006 10:12 PM
The Konis can be turned down. That will make a huge difference.
The intrax springs are quite harsh, I would get something softer. If you want to keep a drop get a ProKit or something. Otherwise the stock springs will work very well on the Konis.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 10:42 PM
But I am selling the car so I would like to switch back to stock springs and buy stock struts. I have a feeling that the car will not sell with the current ride quality. I will then sell the Koni - Intrax combo. How much work is it to get back into stock springs and struts, which I will need to purchase? What cost can I expect to pay?

Sold the Z24
Friday, May 19, 2006 7:37 AM
I'd get a set of GR2s off ebay for $230 and stock spring from the classifieds for the cost of shipping (about $40 or so).

Friday, May 19, 2006 7:45 AM
Or find someone local to swap suspensions with you HINT HINT!

Friday, May 19, 2006 8:45 AM
The front struts are the Koni Yellows, which I don't think can be adjusted. I don't know if adjusting the rear ones would make much of a difference. The front seems to be the issue.

Sold the Z24
Friday, May 19, 2006 9:13 AM
im gonna go ahead and say that koni yellows can MOST DEFINATELY be adjusted... there is a little knob on the strut... turn it left or right to adjust the sitffness of the ride... i may be mistaken(dont have them so i wouldnt 100% know) but i believe left is stiffer and right is softer(???)

Friday, May 19, 2006 10:04 AM
First off...what does this mean?

"You have received a forum warning:

Warning: Please update your registry with proper info before posting again, as per the TOS. Thanks".

Secondly, are you sure the yellows can be adjusted? Can I get to this knob without removing the wheel or anything else?

I know I have a small knob that fits onto the rear Reds to adjust, but I didn't think there was any way to adjust the fronts being Yellows.

Sold the Z24
Friday, May 19, 2006 10:11 AM
Maybe I got it switched around and that knob is for the Yellows and not the Reds. Are the Reds not adjustable? How would I go about adjusting the front Yellow struts?

Sold the Z24
Friday, May 19, 2006 10:14 AM
the koni yellows ARE adjustable...

15.574 @ 89 mph stock without charger. new times with charger coming soon.

Friday, May 19, 2006 10:25 AM
I think the knob to adjust goes on the top of the front strut tower.

Friday, May 19, 2006 10:51 AM
So I just need to remove the wheel and I will have access to the tower, which is adjustable? If the ride is too harsh, what way do I want to turn it?

Sold the Z24
Friday, May 19, 2006 11:03 AM
you don't even need to remove the tires. open your hood. there are strut towers on the upper left and right side of the engine bay. the knob for strut adjustment goes into there and you will turn counterclockwise. They might be adjusted to a firm setting which would very well explain why your ride quality sucks. I do not have any experience with those springs so I don't know if that is your problem, but even if they are very firm, adjusted the strut will help greatly.

Friday, May 19, 2006 12:53 PM
Ok. They were turned all the way to the right. I turned the knob all the way back to the left or counterclockwise as you said. On the knob, it says "firm" and has an arrow pointing counterclockwise. Does this mean that they were on the most unfirm setting and then I adjusted them to the most firm setting? The roads are really bad around here. I doubt the Koni could be blown. Is the ride really crappy just due to having larger rims and smaller tires and bad roads?

Sold the Z24
Friday, May 19, 2006 12:54 PM
Just to add something...the ride is still rather harsh on either setting.

Sold the Z24
Friday, May 19, 2006 1:23 PM
I'm in the same boat but I have the KYB AGX and eibach pro kit... the roads are really bad where I live, the agx are ajusted to 2-4 which means the medium setting... I've gotten used to the bumps though, plus I try to avoid the bigger bumps...

Me I would never go back to stock suspension, I like my handling nice and tight

15.574 @ 89 mph stock without charger. new times with charger coming soon.
Friday, May 19, 2006 1:36 PM
I have a full stock suspension that is in very good condition sitting in my garage...i'll let it go pretty cheap..

Friday, May 19, 2006 5:54 PM
the lemur wrote:you don't even need to remove the tires. open your hood. there are strut towers on the upper left and right side of the engine bay. the knob for strut adjustment goes into there and you will turn counterclockwise. They might be adjusted to a firm setting which would very well explain why your ride quality sucks. I do not have any experience with those springs so I don't know if that is your problem, but even if they are very firm, adjusted the strut will help greatly.

Sorry to thread jack, but I just put on D-specs with Eibach Pro-kit and the ride is kinda bad. They are set tight until they break in, but next week I am going to get everything aligned and check out the settings. How do you adjust the back? or is it just the front? I have the little "key" that screws in, and then you can adjust from there but I can only find the fronts. Also, once the D-Spec "key" is screwed on, if I was to turn it counterclockwise than wouldn't it just unscrew the "key"? thanks

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search