Pre-2000 strut mounts. how they go together? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pre-2000 strut mounts. how they go together?
Wednesday, May 17, 2006 7:08 PM
ok. i know there are TONS of threads about converting to pre-2000 mounts. my question is being posted because i have never seen a pre-2000 mount installed. without seeing one installed, i have no idea how these these things are put together. so here are the pics in order of how I THINK they go together. i know i need the spring seat and insulators, they're on their way.

after the bearing would come the spring seat and then the upper insulator.

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG. if anything is out of order or even upside down i want to know about it.

after i'm done getting the things i need i will post up more pics to confirm their assembly.

thanks.

Re: Pre-2000 strut mounts. how they go together?
Wednesday, May 17, 2006 7:11 PM
and if anyone could name all those seperate parts for me so i could quit thinking of them as thingamajigs that would be great.

thanks again.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 2:00 PM
You have it in order. That's a standard GM replacement mount. Should have GM stamped into it somewhere.
The biggest piece is the bearing plate (with two studs and a bolt hold, and a big hole in the middle.)
The black cup thing is the top-hat (it's on top of the strut).
The silver colored version of the last thing is the retainer.
The wedge shaped thing is the bearing seat. The notch fits into the bearing plate only one way, so get it right.
The big washer is the bearing seat spacer, don't ask me why they did it that way...
The white and black thing is the bearing, it go white side up when on the car, just like you have it in the picture.
The spring seat fits onto the black side of the beearing, as you'll see when you get it.

Next would come the upper spring insulator, then the spring, lower spring insulator, strut..
On the strut rod itself you have the top-hat, shield, and bumpstop. The shield is attached to the top-hat. So unless you get a new shield, you won't use the new top-hat.

Any others?

Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:58 PM
well, i would have to say that i'm a pretty good guesser haha.

thanks for your help and explanation of pieces.

i took my stock suspension out (2003 cavalier) and had to hack up a lot of it for my ground controls and konis.

i have the shields, but i had to trim the bumpstops. so once my new ones come in i will put them in the shield and stuff em back into the top hat again.

crickey, turning this thing back to stock is costing a lot!

again, thanks.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search