Lowered... "thump" noise in right rear.. - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lowered... "thump" noise in right rear..
Monday, May 15, 2006 11:42 AM
My car has been lowered using Goldlines and Koni Yellows. Everything is fine except there is a loud thumping noise in the right rear whenever i go over a bump in the road. It really only happens when I drive over bigger bumps... such as exiting a parking lot into the road. I was wondering if anyone could provide any insight as to what the problem may be. Thanks!

Re: Lowered... "thump" noise in right re
Monday, May 15, 2006 4:55 PM
broken rear strut mount. the rod has seperated from the mount. i picked up some gabriel mounts and they have a wide washer so it prevents that from happening again.

14.82 @ 97 mph
Monday, May 15, 2006 6:27 PM
could the nuts not be tight enough? Did you use all of the washers?

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 6:01 AM
I'm wondering - this is not a "normal" sound after lowering, is it? It seriously sounds like it's ONLY coming from the right rear. That makes me believe that this is not normal.

I was told that the springs are floating - and dropping off the mount when I drive over a bigger bump in the road... causing the "thump" that I am hearing. However, if this was true... I would imagine I would hear the same noise from the left rear - and I don't.

I do have Gabriel strut mounts also. So maybe enough washers were not used? Hopefully I can take the car over to my friend's house and lift her up and see what's going on... any other comments/ideas/suggestions?
Tuesday, May 16, 2006 6:30 AM
sound like its not in there tight like the bolt are a little loose causeing the bottom of the mount to leave the body and then smack it again get back there with a wrench and just check to make sure things are tight and if you left anything on there that shouldn't be

cardomain page
Re: Lowered...
Tuesday, May 16, 2006 12:57 PM
Did you drill the mounts out yourself? I tried it on a set when I was putting my Koni Sport kit on, and it pushed the sleeve out of the mount.

Take your strut/spring off of the car, and put some pressure on the top of the mount to compress the spring. If you see the spring and mount go down, but the top nut/washer stay in place, then your mount is shot, and the sleeve is moving inside the mount. I'll see if I can dig up some pics later tonight to show you what I mean.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 8:08 PM
I would appreciate the pictures, scream.

I looked it over tonight and everything was tight enough. The Konis were set on full soft before, then I set it to full firm and it was even worse. Afterwards, I set them one full turn from soft and had a passenger with me. The noise stopped. I am now thinking though that it stopped because of the passenger (since I was only hearing it from the right rear). I think I would hear the same thumping noise from the left rear... but I don't since it's on the driver's side.

Could it be that these springs are floating, and they drop off the mount when I go over a bump causing the noise? If this is the case though, everyone would be having this problem.

Hmm...
Tuesday, May 16, 2006 11:22 PM
I just got off work, and I can't find the pics anywhere. But I don't have to be into work until 3:30 tomorrow, so I'll pull the spring/strut off before work and snap some pics for you.

(no the mount isn't fixed, and no I don't drive the car like that )

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 7:32 AM
Thanks! I really appreciate this!
Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:14 AM
well I found that under my car the gas filler neck broke from the mount. it broke the weld on it. I guess I'm gonna have to hit the yard up one day and get a new one.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search