Brake light out + ABS + cruise shutting off... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Brake light out + ABS + cruise shutting off...
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 3:36 PM
About a week ago, i had the driver side tail light socket, short out on me. (bulb was fine) Got a new socket, and its all good.

Anyways, while it was shorted out, i noticed something really weird...and im wondering if anyone else has had something like this happen?

- Driver side turn signal blinked fast (obviously)
- My ABS light would come on.
- While using my cruise, if i were to switch lanes, and use my driver side turn signal, it would automatically shut the cruise off...

WEIRD...

Portage, MI

Re: Brake light out + ABS + cruise shutting off...
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 4:17 PM
not sure about the ABS part but when a bulb shorted out on the back of my 95 my cruise would do the same thing when i used the turn signal. my dome light also came on very dim and wouldn't go off. fixed the short and all was fine.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 4:40 AM
The exact same thing happened to me about a year back. I though for sure I was going to have to replace the turn signal module, but when I replaced the bulb, the problem went away.
Wednesday, May 10, 2006 7:16 AM
Ryan,
Typically the cruise is diabled through the brake switch on the master cylinder. If the taillight bulb was blown it i entirely possible that the short was going across the turn signal filament in the bulb itself. This would give a voltage signal to the switch (going backwars through the wiring) and that would then disable your cruise as it saw a voltage in the circuit.

If it doesn't make sense I can diagram it for you at the BBQ this weekend.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 12:35 PM
I understand it. Just weird, how one little thing @!#$ with everything.

no biggy.

its all fixed

Portage, MI
Wednesday, May 10, 2006 12:41 PM
woot woot!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search