Rear drums lock up after car wash! - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear drums lock up after car wash!
Saturday, May 06, 2006 8:09 AM
Ok, I searched on the org. but to no avail.

Story gos as follows, went to the cash wash(40 Degrees in the winter) to get the crap of the car. That day later it clouded up and dropped to to mid 20's.

Got in at the end of the day, start the car, I had the parking brake set(yes its a auto, yes I still use it) I don't want the cables to get rusty and such. Anyway, removed the parking brake and It was like the rear drums were frozen! I had to get up to about 2000 RPM or so before they finally broke loose!

Is this normal on the J platform or not, my 1996 Sunfire never had this problem!

I have had the drums off to take a look, all appears normal.

Silver Stripey makes your Day!

Re: Rear drums lock up after car wash!
Saturday, May 06, 2006 2:13 PM
I've seen it happen before a few times when a J-body sat for a while with the E-brake set, you have to break it free, in fact I've seen it happen with quite a few cars. But that was when sitting for a long time. If it was a one time thing, and everythign appears normal, I'd say it has someting to do with ice buildup.....but I am by no means a professional.
Saturday, May 06, 2006 9:28 PM
The cable isn't going to rust, it's coated in high strength plastic. You'd have to damage it before it'd rust.
It's common for the e-brake to stick, but once you have it the moving it should be free.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 12:16 PM
Thanks for the info guys........

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 11:22 PM
Happened to my dad's Ford Truck once.

New Picture comming this summer.
Wednesday, May 10, 2006 7:41 AM
hmm... my girlfriends car does this as well, and it can't be due to freezing (It's Florida for Christ's sake). Maybe it's time to rebuild the drums?

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 9:23 AM
Try a can of brake cleaner before anything else when having strange GM rear drum problems. It solves a lot of problems.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 12:42 PM
@!#$er wrote:hmm... my girlfriends car does this as well, and it can't be due to freezing (It's Florida for Christ's sake). Maybe it's time to rebuild the drums?

It cant be that...my cars only got 12,000 miles on it...when I removed the factory locks on it(those clips things)...(virgin clips)...drum came off nicely...everything like new!

Took brake clean to it...even better..but not bad at all!

Hmmmm...Im still listening...I cant be the only one.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search