was my suspension done right? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
was my suspension done right?
Friday, May 05, 2006 7:07 AM
I have a 97 Z24 Cavalier with Tokiko D-Specs, and Eibach Sportlines all the way around.......... To me my car looks like it rides higher then it should or could.....

Is there anything that I was supposed to have trimmed, cut, or tucked when I had my new suspension put on? I told my machanic that I thought that the instuctions said to cut the strut mount? the bump stop? or something but I coudn't remember what the instructions said to cut. I guess he is too used to installing lift kits and stock suspension because he told me that I didn't know what I was talking about and he said that there was nothing that had to be trimmed or cut. Is he right? or is there something that should have been cut? If there is how much of it needs trimmed?

Re: was my suspension done right?
Friday, May 05, 2006 7:26 AM
bump stops have to be trimmed in half but thats about it. did you install the fronts on the front?

Friday, May 05, 2006 7:27 AM
The bumpstops need to be cut basically in half, but that would not keep the car from going lower, thats just for strut travel. You should have measured before you dropped it. If you can find a newer model cavalier (one with good factory springs and struts) measure how far it is off the ground, then measure how much yours is off the ground.

-Brandon

Sunday, May 07, 2006 6:00 PM
i didnt have to trim anything on my 03 with D-specs and goldlines, but maybe its different for pre-00 J's. i know the 00-05 J's need spacers in the fronts, so maybe theres where the difference is

RIP Saint ........ JBO
Monday, May 08, 2006 12:44 PM
THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS.

How much clearence if its between 2-3 inches It should be good to go.

-Chris

Monday, May 08, 2006 10:04 PM
The first 3 where about a week after the install (last summer) and the last one was (late last fall) after the front end swap.

Does it look like it should be sitting lower with my current suspension setup?

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 5:06 AM
Looks about right to me.

-Brandon

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 5:13 AM
drop looks good, what size are those tires?

-Chris

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 7:25 AM
My tires are 215/45/17.

May I hae been looking at too many J's with air ride and coilovers. LOL. Maybe my car does sit ok?

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 10:20 AM
you should be fine. You don't want it slammed. You need suspension travel. Also the car always looks much higher from flat level looking straight on.

Even with my H&R springs from the side my car looks high, but at a higher angle (how you usually see it) it looks pretty dang low as yours does in the second pic.

Theres nothing better than being in traffic and your sideview mirrors are lower than everyone elses.

-Chris

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 2:16 PM
Looks right to me man...however you if you get 205/40 tires it will sit a little lower, but the wheel gap may increase a bit...correct me if i am wrong?

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 5:08 PM
I am trying to save up for a set of 18's with a 215 or a 225 tire. Maybe that will fill the wheel gap a little?

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 7:57 PM
97CavfireZ wrote:I am trying to save up for a set of 18's with a 215 or a 225 tire. Maybe that will fill the wheel gap a little?

you just gotta be careful of what your trying to accomplish, because the wider the tire is, the bigger the sidewall will be, even if their both 40 series tires.......

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 10:04 PM
Considering the 4x4 wheel gap of a stock cav that drop looks right on. Bigger wheels with a larger diameter tire are going to give you a taller gearing and hurt acceleration, but if that doesn't matter. . . . .

IMO drop the side skirts, paint it one color, and it'll be hawt.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 7:22 PM
I'm just trying to fill my wheel gap. I am not really building my car for performance right now. So, I am thinking of updating my 17's to at least an 18 or maybe a 19... What size tires would help fill my wheel gap?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search