spacers when installing dspecs? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
spacers when installing dspecs?
Friday, May 05, 2006 8:08 AM
hey all

im about to drop my car probably this weekend or monday. i have 1.7" springs and dspecs. i have a 2001 sunfire GT, and i have seen posts that when installing the front the top of the strut sits to far up and you cannot tighten the nuts down and need spacers..? is this something that will for sure happen to me or is it random? and if i do need them do i just use washers or special spacers and where do i put them? what size are they?be very specific so i can get them today or tomorrow =)

thx

Re: spacers when installing dspecs?
Friday, May 05, 2006 2:52 PM
since you have 00 or up mounts, you will need them. just use washers, but go to the hardware store and get good thick ones. measure the size hole you need it to fit, then measure the clearance to drop it in.

i bought a set when i first got mine, and didnt think about the outer diameter of the washer, and they were too big, so i had to go back and get smaller ones.

when you seat the mount on the strut, put the washers on before you bolt down the nut to the strut rod. thats where the gap is

hope thats clear enough

ps - you'll love the d-specs. very clean install, and amazing ride!!

RIP Saint ........ JBO
Friday, May 05, 2006 3:09 PM
oh now i get it.

so i can pretty much do the complete install and when i am finishing it up by tighening the top nuts after i lower the car down, i will need to add a few washers so the nuts will tighten tight enough?

thanks man

Friday, May 05, 2006 3:18 PM
^^^exactly!!!

np man! glad i could help

RIP Saint ........ JBO
Friday, May 05, 2006 6:14 PM
I'll tell you what I did when I installed my D Specs. I have a bench grinder with a cutoff wheel at my work, and I used it to remove the flared section of the OEM strut nuts. I then used those flared pieces as the spacers I needed for the new strut nuts that Tokico provides. What can I say? I'm a bit of a cheap bastard when it comes to stuff like that.

Saturday, May 06, 2006 8:59 AM
^^thats actually not a half bad idea at all!!

ps - washers are like $0.50 for 4, lol

RIP Saint ........ JBO
Saturday, May 06, 2006 1:19 PM
Well, at the time I was thinking that one solid piece would be better structurally compared to a bunch of thin pieces sandwiched together.....and I'm a cheap bastard.

Saturday, May 06, 2006 9:32 PM
^Doesn't matter so long as it doesn't compress.

Monday, May 29, 2006 1:36 PM
I installed mine this weekend and I didn't need any spacers?? I installed brand new Monroe mounts and 1.4" drop springs... They springs were the same height as the stock springs... My rears already had washers on them so I just transfered those over but the fronts I just used the provided flared lock nuts that came with the struts... Should I be worried??

Knowledge about everything and yet an expert of nothing!!
Jack of all trades.
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 6:47 PM
wtf i didnt you anyway washers for my D-Spec ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My Car Specs
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search