Installing my own suspension - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Installing my own suspension
Friday, May 05, 2006 3:26 PM
Ok i am a guy who has never dealt with any major installation. I have always had a garage do it, but i am sick of spending the money on garages. I just bought the tein Basic coilover kit and i was wondering if you would recomend a guy with no experience messing with this. IF so what tools would i need? I will be using new front strut mounts becuase i have a 97 cavalier and the kit requires 00-04 mounts in the front, but i will be using the existing rear mounts. Thank guys, i did a search but i didnt quite come up with an answer.

Re: Installing my own suspension
Friday, May 05, 2006 3:52 PM
a simple socket set is all thats needed. if your reusing strut mounts though you'll need a spring compressor to do it safely which can be rented from autozone. its really simple to do a suspension

Friday, May 05, 2006 5:23 PM
an impact wrench(air or not) will be great for the top bolt that holds on the mount

Friday, May 05, 2006 5:34 PM
definitely go to the garage area at www.bradiscool.com that's where i got all the instructions for doing my first suspension. definitely helped me out a lot. good luck with the project.

Friday, May 05, 2006 8:05 PM
TORQUE WRENCH!!!

Friday, May 05, 2006 8:14 PM
carefull the spring can KILL you if you dont have any experience w/ stuff like that. Im serious ive seen a spring compressor brake and the spring went threw a concrete wall(i work @ a dealership) now know one was hurt but just imagine if you were the concrete wall

I would recomennd taking everyting to a shop and have them put the components together....install the mounts on the new suspenison.........it shouldnt be to much....like 40 bucks or so.

then take it all home and install everything your self....should take 2 hours topps for all 4 if they are all put together.

*************Yea i spell liek wrong get over it*****************
** If i write in caps its cause im @ work and i can only write in caps cause the keyboard is a retarded CAPS only keyboard.**
Friday, May 05, 2006 11:54 PM
BradSk88 wrote:TORQUE WRENCH!!!

YES! You'll need one that can tighten up to at least 140 lbs for the two front strut bolts that attach to the steering knuckle.

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!
Saturday, May 06, 2006 10:47 PM
http://www.bradiscool.com

X2

Changed my g/f's 97 Sunfire SE coupe rear struts with info from that. The lower 18mm bolt at the bottom of the strut was the PITA. The loaner torque wrench from Autozone worked as a great breaker bar Everything else to change them was cake.
Monday, May 08, 2006 6:21 AM
I recommend finding someone who knows what they're doing to help you out the first time around. Post in your regional forum and I'm sure you'll find someone.

They'll be able to give you some pointers and explain things to you so you'll know it's done right. Then in the future you'll be able to do it yourself without wondering whether you've messed something up without realizing it.

When you're done, you're still going to have to take it in for an alignment.

Monday, May 08, 2006 7:00 AM
Wild Weasel wrote:I recommend finding someone who knows what they're doing to help you out the first time around. Post in your regional forum and I'm sure you'll find someone.

They'll be able to give you some pointers and explain things to you so you'll know it's done right. Then in the future you'll be able to do it yourself without wondering whether you've messed something up without realizing it.

When you're done, you're still going to have to take it in for an alignment.

x2

RIP Saint ........ JBO
Monday, May 08, 2006 8:13 AM
Thanks alot guys! appreciate it..

Monday, May 08, 2006 9:43 AM
A sledge hammer is also highly advisable. But I definately agree, if you can, find someone to at lease walk you through it.

I learned everything I know by taking it apart, breaking it, fixing it, putting it back together. But having someone who knows what they're doing makes it 10 times faster.

Monday, May 08, 2006 10:41 AM
Yeah i made an appointment at my local garage and asked if i could stick around and watch so i could learn. They said i could. Thanks agian!

Friday, May 12, 2006 2:46 PM
Well i am installing my tein basics tomorrow. I have a few of my buddies helping me out. Wish me luck i will post pics when i am done!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search