engine drive compressor for air ride - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
engine drive compressor for air ride
Tuesday, May 02, 2006 5:05 PM
yeah has anyone did this or have any pics or how to's

Re: engine drive compressor for air ride
Tuesday, May 02, 2006 5:09 PM
sorry does any one know how to or have pics to do a engine driven compressor for air ride
Tuesday, May 02, 2006 5:27 PM
never heard of anyone doing an EDC on cavaliers

-Brandon

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 6:51 PM
too much work for something a 200 dollar compressor can do for you w/ a pressure switch

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 8:00 PM
An interesting setup I worked on years ago was the compressor used on old Cadillac cars that had factory air-ride suspension. The compressor was up under the hood and it's case was about 18" long and 3-4" round. It had an integrated tank to absorb pulses from the suspension. What was interesting about this compressor was that it was "powered" by engine vacuum. I have no idea how effective it would be on a 4 cylinder, as this compressor was being driven by the vacuum generated by a 472 V8, but it's a neat concept.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 8:03 PM
Another drawback to that compressor (at least in the sense that most people here want to use a compressor) is that it wouldn't have nearly the CFM rating that you'd want to be able to quickly recover a full tank (or tanks) of air in a bagged car.

So yeah, forget I said anything

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 8:51 PM
was thinking about doing it and take out the ac but to much work. just like baggedcav said. look into like air zenith or even like a viar 550

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 9:45 PM
EDC = Expensive + Lotsa Work + Complicated/Fabrication
Electric = Cheaper + Less Work + Way less complicated
Sure EDC are faster, but for the price alone you could get a few electric pumps that would add up to the same as an edc.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 10:10 PM
if you wanted to do it you could use a York Compressor used for the AC in an older Volvo. youd pobably have to remove your AC, change the pullys, and come up with custom brackets. but all in all i dont think it would be that bad. my dad has one on his 96 Bronco and it workks like a dream. he can even run an impact gun on it. i'd say be different and go for it.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 4:51 AM
I just thought of something, you (noff57) have a 97 cavy, with (I'm assuming) a 2.2? Since those motors are similar to the S-10 2.2 I would try seeing if you could modify one of their EDC's maybe. Just a thought.

-Brandon

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 6:29 PM
thanks guys i figured it out today i took my a/c compressor out and put a sanden compressor in it place with a little modifications

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 6:51 PM
pics????????

-Brandon

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search