Serious AUTOX Ebay Vs "real" parts - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Serious AUTOX Ebay Vs "real" parts
Monday, May 01, 2006 3:59 PM
So for the serious autocrosser would these work
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96-97-98-99-01-Cavalier-Sunfire-Front-Rear-Strut-Bar_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33591QQitemZ8061049735QQrdZ1

just as well as the RKSPORT rear, and vibrant front.

I mean those are like 50 bucks and you get both, but under hard corner if they are just giong to flex and warp i assume its worth it to get the rksport rear brance, and a differnt fornt.

Basically will these hold up to alot of stress??

Re: Serious AUTOX Ebay Vs "real" parts
Monday, May 01, 2006 6:04 PM
I wouldn't go with that cheap ebay crap. Spend the extra dough and get the RK rear bar, and for the front I'd suggest getting the front tower brace off of a cav or sunfire convertible.

Monday, May 01, 2006 8:20 PM
i got the rear from them, and my other front is similar to the one they have... theres been many descussions about whats better and so on... i havent really decided.

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Monday, May 01, 2006 8:26 PM
bah, strut bars are strut bars. more people try to find GM bars more than buy aftermarket.

-Brandon

Monday, May 01, 2006 9:59 PM
Correct installation is 99% of a strut bar. It just has to be a rigid metal for the most part.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 6:51 PM
bar=bar=bar=bar, no matter who makes it. Just like an intake, they all do the same thing. Yes, some of them are of better quality and craftsmanship, but with the kind of stress (very low) thats being put on the bar, its not that big of a deal. As mentioned, you're better off finding a factory bar and picking up a rear one somewhere else.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 8:10 PM
I got the cheap ebay front bar, and i could tell a difference with that alone, (along with eibach sportlines) I also could admit this though...when i had it on my car rode like ass, so i took it off to see if thats what it was and sure enough, it rode alot more smooth, but i'd say yes, the cheap ebay bar works just as well.....but on the other hand, i bought an ebay strut bar for my RX-7 and it didn't even go on, dang screws that you tighten the strut bar with was stripped or something, but anyways, i basically had to throw it away, so just watch for the reputations on the products.

NEW SIG COMING SOON FOR 07'!!!
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 1:57 PM
Event had done a test on the strut bars, and the ebay bars are not bad. Just make sure it's installed right, and is tight after installed.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 10:32 PM
I can order a set and let people know... hell its only $50

Thursday, May 04, 2006 8:00 AM
LOL yes please do and if they are any good just ship them on to me

Re: Serious AUTOX Ebay Vs
Thursday, May 11, 2006 7:19 PM
Ordered one of the eBay bars, same seller as the first post... according to the auction, it only fits 2.4's... hmm, I wonder if it will fit my 2.2? I won't be able to do the install until Sunday, but here's the prelim pics. As well as get a comparison with the GM front strut bar (don't have the rear.... yet) as well as pics of the rear bar installed.

I get home, looky what UPS dropped off:

Decent amount of material on the front bar:

Looks like it should hold up fine, though.

Re: Serious AUTOX Ebay Vs
Thursday, May 11, 2006 7:54 PM
^ i have both, the car is definatly stiffer

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Part 2 -- Front Strut Bar
Friday, May 12, 2006 8:06 PM
Here is a side-by-side comparison of the GM strut bar (bottom) versus the eBay special (top)

Please pardon the dirty engine, I haven't yet given it the yearly deep clean...

At first glance, it appears that the bar may fit.

It clears the cruise, which is a good thing:

Ok, so it doesn't fit 2.2's.... On the throttle body, there is a plug, which just so happens to get in the way. Also, the clearance between the bar and the rest of the throttle body is about 1/16", too close to be acceptable.

Saturday, May 13, 2006 9:20 AM
DayUSeX (ws6+04cav= FTW) wrote:So for the serious autocrosser would these work
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96-97-98-99-01-Cavalier-Sunfire-Front-Rear-Strut-Bar_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33591QQitemZ8061049735QQrdZ1

just as well as the RKSPORT rear, and vibrant front.

I mean those are like 50 bucks and you get both, but under hard corner if they are just giong to flex and warp i assume its worth it to get the rksport rear brance, and a differnt fornt.

Basically will these hold up to alot of stress??

For the average person they would be fine, but for a "serious autocrosser" I'd but something higher quality.

Re: Part 2 -- Front Strut Bar
Saturday, May 13, 2006 9:25 AM
Kardain wrote:Here is a side-by-side comparison of the GM strut bar (bottom) versus the eBay special (top)

Please pardon the dirty engine, I haven't yet given it the yearly deep clean...

At first glance, it appears that the bar may fit.

It clears the cruise, which is a good thing:

Ok, so it doesn't fit 2.2's.... On the throttle body, there is a plug, which just so happens to get in the way. Also, the clearance between the bar and the rest of the throttle body is about 1/16", too close to be acceptable.

you should also specify OLDER 2.2, as the 2200sfi is still a 2.2L

Saturday, May 13, 2006 1:34 PM
Ive got that set, the only thing was that when i had my stock airbox, the bar hit the top of my clutch reservoir, which was fixed later. I can now see why the bar wouldnt work with a ram-air hood as well.

Saturday, May 13, 2006 1:54 PM
Funky Bottoms (Event) wrote:

What's your take on the whole strut bar deal.
Do you think the ones on ebay just as good as buying say an RKsport 3x the amount?

I had this discussion with a friend of mine saying he would rather pay for the name and be certain it's a good product ,than pay way less and get the exact same results from a no name company or even someone that makes them and sells them.

Saturday, May 13, 2006 4:45 PM
I know GM's believe it or not is pretty good. I wanna think Event did a post about that once, compared bars on a skidpad. The Ebay "Special" wasnt too much further off, but the GM was actually slightly better.

Monday, May 15, 2006 10:56 PM
95Vet wrote:
Funky Bottoms (Event) wrote:

What's your take on the whole strut bar deal.
Do you think the ones on ebay just as good as buying say an RKsport 3x the amount?

I had this discussion with a friend of mine saying he would rather pay for the name and be certain it's a good product ,than pay way less and get the exact same results from a no name company or even someone that makes them and sells them.

in all honesty, saying one is better than the other usually ends up being about the same amount of back and forth as two people in the appearance forum saying their car is better than the others... example....some people swear by rksport, others swear by tein, or gravana when it comes to suspension.

basically all do the same thing, even from testing on a skidpad.... that is, if you install them the same. meaning all bolted down, not loose for the 2 or 3 piece bars, etc. side note, at the 2004 bash, i tightened at least 3 strut braces that were installed tight on the tower, but the bolt and nuts on the end pieces were loose, and 2 owners complained about knocking noises when they hit bumps....

multipiece bars are equipped with jam nuts to make them JUST as rigid as a solid one piece. its the same way tie rods attach to the steering arm with a threaded rod and jam nut. theres no slop, etc.

as for material of the bar itself, some like the vibrant are H-beam, others are hollow tube in aluminum.

the only direction they require resisting is in and out (lateral) movement... the firewalls are welded to the strut towers and the strut towers are welded to the fender walls, matter of fact if you take a close look, they are like encased in a plate that connects there.

as for ebay vs whatever.... if you can get a gm bar for 10$ vs an ebay one for 20 + shipping, then by all means go for it. its gonna do the same thing.

but just because something is on ebay doesnt mean its better or worse... you can buy greddy products on ebay (not for cavaliers exactly) but you pay less than most online places and or local dealers. rksport i still believe STILL sells freedom design. i did the test fitting for the rear over on eisenhower ave, in alexandria va, near my high school..... if you can find the same on ebay for less, then why not?

i mean think about it.... lets say you were gonna buy a radio online, like the pioneer dvd flip up screens.... locally sold for around 12-1500..... crutchfield might have it for 12-1300.... on ebay its like 999$....

nothing wrong with buying literally the same thing from an authorized online dealer... you just saved 2-500$ overall. more to spend elsewhere ya know?

everyone seems to have this stigma, if its on ebay, then its BAD..... with some things, that DOES hold true, such as the cheap coils, springs, or struts....and you hear people "saying their ride bounces, but not much"..... bounce in ANY degree is bad unless you are hoppin a car in a hydraulic show...

but in reality, some of the same products you guys buy from the name companies on here, you can sometimes find on ebay... in that case i personally would usually buy from those companies on here pay around the same or slightly more just to support your own specific resources.... but megan racing, vibrant, etc can be found on ebay and get the job done just as effectively as anywhere else.

as it stands most people here dont race hard, truthfully, like on a track like summit point of SCCA, there are a few, but out of all of the posts you will read where something is pro this anti that, the majority of em....they dont race. not that our strut towers move a great deal to begin with. our cars are built cheap, and not super strong, but you arent gonna be driving in a car that flexes that much as many on here over exaggerate it to be.

small trick.... take a grease pen, and bolt it, you'll prob need to make a small bracket, to your strut tower and have the tip of it touching the firewall....

go strut brace-LESS, and drive hard.... at most you'll only notice a couple MILLIMETERS of movement like 1-3 which is virtually nill in terms of flex. older cars have more flex. i'm at 140K + a newer car in less rear end accidents will have less flex.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 9:40 PM
Ok, Event... I'll specify

Here the same bar on a 2200... it doesn't clear the intake.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search