want opinion - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
want opinion
Monday, May 01, 2006 2:56 PM
gonna be doin a $20,000 build over the summer on my 2003 cavy and i wanted to get everyones opinion on the suspension setup i have picked out. feel free to offer suggestions on better products and posible need to know tips. (i want the best performance possible and money really isnt an option)
the car will also be boosting using the hahn stage 2 kit and will be sporting the drift kit from versusmotorsports

heres the suspension setup:

vibrant front and rear strut tower bars $100
Addco front and rear Anti sway bars $320
Tien EDFC $360
Tien Super Street Coilovers $1,260
Axis Reverb wheels 18x7.5 $935
or
Motegi Traklite 19x7.5 $1450
Russell SS brake lines $100
SSBC Front 13" brake conv. kit $1165
SSBC Rear 12' brake conv kit $740

and im not sure on a camber kit or tires, also which wheel do you guyz think would be best??

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers

Re: want opinion
Monday, May 01, 2006 3:09 PM
What's it being built for? Show, or performance?

If it's for performance, I'd go with the lightest 17" wheels you can find rather than the 18's or 19's. For show, by all means go big!

Monday, May 01, 2006 10:06 PM
^ Agreed. Other than that it's a dream setup.
In auto-x style runs someone did (decently complete testing, several runs & 4 drivers)
17" did the best, 16 and 18 are about equal, 19+ & 15- sucked.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 12:26 PM
its for a little bit of both actually, and will i need a camber kit and do i need to get my gauges recalibrated for the new wheel size?

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 12:53 PM
Shouldn't need a camber kit. If you get the proper size tire, you'll be fine and will have an error that is very very small.

Show or Go....pick one...

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 1:01 PM
$20,000 on a car, would also make a nice downpayment on a house.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Friday, May 05, 2006 11:54 PM
i think ill go with the axis reverbs, i like the 18" look and feel and i doesnt comprimise performance too much, i dont plan on any drifitng,lol

Saturday, May 06, 2006 9:25 AM
How the hell can you drift with front wheel drive in the first place?

Sunday, May 07, 2006 11:35 PM
all drifting is, is cornering at a rate of speed at which th tires can no longer maintain traction. enter a corner fast enough with the front wheels still pulling and the rear end will "drift" however if you let off the gas just before the corner, either all 4 tires will slide or there will be no sliding at all

Monday, May 08, 2006 6:18 AM
You will not need a camber kit, the Teins should come with a camber plate.

-Brandon

Monday, May 08, 2006 6:29 AM
John VanCuran wrote:all drifting is, is cornering at a rate of speed at which th tires can no longer maintain traction. enter a corner fast enough with the front wheels still pulling and the rear end will "drift" however if you let off the gas just before the corner, either all 4 tires will slide or there will be no sliding at all

That's not drifting. That's skidding.

Drifting is when you break loose the tires on purpose using the throttle to induce the slide. If you go into a corner too fast, you skid and lose control. If you go into a corner at a speed you can drift at, you can punch the gas to break loose the rear tires and kick out the back end while steering the car around the corner.

There's a whole lot more to it than that, but that's the basics. Drifting and skidding are not the same thing.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 12:50 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:
John VanCuran wrote:all drifting is, is cornering at a rate of speed at which th tires can no longer maintain traction. enter a corner fast enough with the front wheels still pulling and the rear end will "drift" however if you let off the gas just before the corner, either all 4 tires will slide or there will be no sliding at all

That's not drifting. That's skidding.

Drifting is when you break loose the tires on purpose using the throttle to induce the slide. If you go into a corner too fast, you skid and lose control. If you go into a corner at a speed you can drift at, you can punch the gas to break loose the rear tires and kick out the back end while steering the car around the corner.

There's a whole lot more to it than that, but that's the basics. Drifting and skidding are not the same thing.

Actually, you can pull the e-brake on a fwd car to slide around a corner, and yes it's considered drifting. Ever watch a movie with front wheel drive cars sliding around turns, they pull the ebrake, and release it after they start sliding, then you give it a little gas and counter-steer as your come out of the turn.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search