those of you with Tokico D-spec's.... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
those of you with Tokico D-spec's....
Thursday, April 27, 2006 9:02 AM
well i just installed the setup on groundcontrols, smooth install. But unfortunately the ride height i achieved with my stock struts w/ groundcontrol setup, I seem to bottom out very very quickly on the D-specs (front only). First is the travel of the strut reduced compared to other struts? Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I had the tires flush with the fender, but it was clearly going to ruin the mount... then now i have a 1-2 finger gap, firmed up the struts, and it seems better but still happens quite often.

the strut/spring assembly consists of the.... grinded lip - GC sleeve - GC Coil - Springseat - washer/bearing/washer - 3/8" washer as spacer (i just added this and it wasnt in the stock strut assembly) - rest of mount.

the sleeve has 7 threads (or roughly 1.3") left to drop, where as on the stock setup i could ride that low but the tires would roll inside the fenders. With the tokicos they wont allow my tires to do so.

I have 225/40/18" tires....

the only thing i can think of is the 3/8" causing this, but its INSIDE the strut assembly which wouldnt reduce strut travel, would it? in any case i'm thinking i may need a 3/8th spacer above the mount, but the adjustment part of the strut seems it may dig into my hood being so tall already.

...bone stock

Re: those of you with Tokico D-spec's....
Thursday, April 27, 2006 10:14 AM
did you adjust the settings to make it stiffer. when you get them, they are as loose as possible which = travel/bottom

at least that was the case with mine.

stiffen them all the way and adjust softer from there

RIP Saint ........ JBO
Thursday, April 27, 2006 11:39 AM
the frontest are at the firmest they can be, and that helped a lot, but there is almost no travel left when the car is dropped... i'll take a picture and hopefully upload it very soon of the cars stance and mount.

because there has to be SOMETHING i did wrong... or are these Tokicos rods just too long?

...bone stock
Thursday, April 27, 2006 12:00 PM

...bone stock
Thursday, April 27, 2006 5:10 PM
did you put in the spacer/washers?? if not, then thats what it is.

look inside the strut mounts when you open the hood. are the bolts/top strut rod angled?? i did thast too

RIP Saint ........ JBO
Thursday, April 27, 2006 6:42 PM
too firm and it will also bounce too. try taking it down like 2-3 turns

Friday, April 28, 2006 10:01 AM
guys i really appreciate the help, but the strut rod is bottoming out. its doing so too early in my opinion, perhaps thats how these d--specs are made. The strut itself may be moving a couple inches but thats enough to bottom. As i was saying earlier the garbage stock struts would at allow the tires to hit roll inside the fender before they decided to bottom, but these tokicos d-specs are at least an inch or two shorter... and it is where it counts.

the rod isn't angled, i'm coming to the conclusion the install went flawless, i just have the car riding too low.

i would love to hear from you guys dropping the d-specs with some decent coilovers such as the ground controls for examples

...bone stock
Friday, April 28, 2006 10:04 AM
but just out of curiousity, those using a washer/spacer ABOVE the strut mount, what purpose is it serving? Because if my memory serves correct theres a grove in the rod underneath the mount, so having a spacer would deem useless on these tokicos

...bone stock
Friday, April 28, 2006 2:17 PM
i had to use the spacers, cuz the nut that connects to the top of the rod(inside the mount) was too long, so the nut was tightened all the way, but didnt get to the mount yet.

let me know if that makes sense. ill do up a diagram if you need further clarification.

RIP Saint ........ JBO
Friday, April 28, 2006 2:54 PM
The washers and spacers should only be needed with the 00+ mounts. the older mounts should not have a problem at all. I can't understand why it would bottom out. My car is just as low as yours and my D-specs have never bottomed out once.

Friday, April 28, 2006 7:17 PM
sounds like you dont have bump stops, you may want to look into putting them back in.

Ill make a sig someday

Sunday, April 30, 2006 6:54 AM
ahhhh so after further investigation i see exactly what is wrong.

the strut is not bottoming out. the spring hat is banging on the actually strut itself. when the spring is compressed with just that one finger gap there is about a 1/2" travel for the spring hat to the top of the strut. Again the strut is NOT bottoming out.

I see what i have to do to fix this, well the only thiing i can actually do... You see i installed a 3/8th" spacer from the strut mount to the spring hat, I did so because the strut mount was litteraly stuck to the spring hat. But now with that spacer (which i had put together on my own) there is more than 3/8" clearance from the spring hat to the strut mount. Why? well the washer i had used is quite wide and the way it is sitting isn't ideal.

Tampa, or anyone else for that matter (i have the 96' year mounts...) what and where did you find the spacer/washer to place on top of the coilover spring hats? Maybe it is just my ground controls... but who knows

A side note... what is the spring rate difference between the front and rear springs on the ground control setup. (i ordered these back in 02)

...bone stock
Sunday, April 30, 2006 6:56 AM
oh tampa, did you grind the rear strut lips off as well as the front? In the picture, the rears are as low as they can go with the lip being on, i'm a little unsatisfied with the drop

...bone stock
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search