Springs for drag racing - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Springs for drag racing
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 1:48 PM
So I need to get into a little suspension work. When I get my other front wheel bearing replaced I was planning on going to get an alignment done on it. I planned on having them set the toe out 1-2 degrees from what it's supposed to be.

Springs are my question on the day. I know there's all sorts of lowering springs and such out there. Most of my concern is with the rear springs. I'm looking to get springs that are as stiff as possible in the rear. Is there any sort of aftermarket solution to this? Or, is it possible to swap springs off of an N-body or something else, to accomplish the same task.

Re: Springs for drag racing
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 3:15 PM
coil overs.

drop the fornt raise the back and sitffen the @!#$ out of them.

and toeing in the wheels isn't gonna help with drag racing... if anythign ask for 0 degrees toe, tell them not to use wintoe (if they do) and just adjust them to zero.

Thursday, April 27, 2006 4:18 AM
Just get adjustable struts or coil-overs. You want the rear as stiff as possible and the front not really stiff as all. I have agx's and pro kit springs...I adjust the front to the softest setting, and the back to the hardest. Depending on track conditions, I might change the front from setting 1 to 2.

Hope that helps. My best 60' to-date with CRAP/BALD tires is a 2.123...hope to get new tires soon.

Darkstars is correct about the toe issue.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, April 27, 2006 7:19 AM
I know someone who has their car setup for drag only. He's got 900lb/in in front and 700lb/in in the back, Ground Controls. It rides like a b*tch on roads, but it gets trailered everywhere anyway.

Thursday, April 27, 2006 8:27 AM
If this is a track-only car, you can get spring rates as high as you want from Ground Control to fit coilover sleeves.

Thursday, April 27, 2006 1:38 PM
Darkstars wrote:coil overs.

drop the fornt raise the back and sitffen the @!#$ out of them.

and toeing in the wheels isn't gonna help with drag racing... if anythign ask for 0 degrees toe, tell them not to use wintoe (if they do) and just adjust them to zero.

Raising and lowering parts of the car wont make much difference. The spring rate is what i'm interested in. Overall goal is to stop the weight transfer, to increase traction at the front wheels. I also dont want to get so stiff as to lock the rear suspension, in the rare event that something would happen that a bit of handling would be needed. A slight toe out should help traction off the line as well.

WW - I know that stock springs are progressive rate, any idea what the highest rate they make are? Or maybe the range on it?

Friday, April 28, 2006 8:43 AM
SHOoff wrote:Raising and lowering parts of the car wont make much difference.
Raising the back will help keep the front planted. As said, Ground Controls on adjustable struts and you can do whatever you want.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Friday, April 28, 2006 9:17 AM
Stock are linear, not progressive. And they're quite soft. All stock spring 95-05 are the same.

I can tell you first hand that I've got an extra 1" rake (need new springs, another topic) and it launches slightly better and adds enough understeer that I notice.

If you're serious you need to read up more on suspension. Especially the theories behind the pratices. Otherwise you might as well just get any old lowering springs.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search