Addco's Rear 1'' (25.4mm) intall Q - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Addco's Rear 1'' (25.4mm) intall Q
Thursday, April 13, 2006 12:39 PM
WOW!!!! I just got done with the front 1 incher!! What a bitch that was. But it took me 3 hours without help or power. I took some pics but I am going for a test drive first!!!.

Go Go OG Traction!!

Thursday, April 13, 2006 2:03 PM
just for kicks could someone with the older style bar that needed drilling measure the length of the lever arms of the sway bar. Measure from where it bends towards the back of the car to the hole where the endlink mounts.

If they are longer than the new version, the new version will be more effective at minimizing body roll. This is assuming the same diameter and material which I think is a safe assumption. I am just curious how much difference in length there it because it could make a big difference in roll stiffness

02 LS Sport http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135396
68 Firebird http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135556
56 GMC http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135587
66 Suburban http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135589
Thursday, April 13, 2006 3:39 PM
I was thinking the same thing today, but I have no way to compare. I could call some friends up that have the old style Addco and they might be willing to do it though.

Go Go OG Traction!!
Thursday, April 13, 2006 4:20 PM
I am painting mines "hammered" black. I want that Stealth/discreet look.

OGNick,
Any pointers for the front one? I am always open for suggestions.
Oh and how do you like them both?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Thursday, April 13, 2006 4:37 PM
I love them both. It was kinda fun driving around with just the rear on (with my stock front), the rear wanted to come around sometimes. But now it is quite neutral. It transitions from left to right (and visa versa) really quickly. Body roll is minimized. They really do make it a new car.

As for installation- My biggest problem was getting the D-bushing brackets back in. Part of the problem was I had the bar the wrong way (I swear I looked at which way it came out!! oh well) . After I got the bar in the right way, i found out the D-bushings have to face a certain direction. on the flat side of the bushing, there is an angled cut that needs to be facing the back of the car. You will know what i am talking about when you see it. The next problem was the power steering bolts. They prodruded past the nut and tried to occupy the same space a the bar and made it difficult to get the bar to sit right. I just loosened those up until i had enough room. The next problem I had was actually getting the brackets to sit where they need to be. I had to pry down on the bracket to get it to sit right then with my other hand, push down and turn the bolt, al with balrely no room. This is where I could have used an extra hand.

As for the sub frame, I just took out all six bolts and let the subframe hang by the control arms. When i took out the brackets for the old bar, the bar fell right out!! Then I just jacked up the subframe in the center by the exaust and it lined itself right back up.

I also had difficulty getting the old endlinks off of the control arms. The washers and spacers were frozen to the bolt. I used some WD-40 then gripped the frozen washers with some vise grips and turned the bolt. Repeat with the spacers and other washers. Worked great.

Overall it wasn't to bad. I tried to take out the D-bushing clamps before i decide to drop the subframe, but they were much easier to get at with a wrench after the subframe was dropped.

Like I said if you have any questions, feel free to IM me.

Go Go OG Traction!!
Thursday, April 13, 2006 4:44 PM
sorry for the thread jack. for the people that got the newer bar, double check and make sure your bar is indeed 1 inch. I had a problem with Summit, I got a bar that was 7/8 twice. I finally returned it since they could not resolve the issue.

ok thread jack is officially over, carry on

Thursday, April 13, 2006 4:47 PM
Checking...............................................................................................

Yup 1 inch, front and rear.

Go Go OG Traction!!
Thursday, April 13, 2006 4:53 PM
Yeah, they're one inch, just by looking at the pics on in this thread.

Just ordered mine, but none in stock so can't do the side by side until it comes in.

But honestly, lengthwise it's only maybe 2 inches longer on each side MAYBE.
Its just the distance from the shock bolt to the area just to the left of it.

The other part of it though, is with the D bushings now facing hump side down thats what like another 1+ or so.

So differences are minimal but there.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Thursday, April 13, 2006 7:23 PM
Ok guys I am having a problem. I am installing like the instructions say with the hump going up into the axle. Only problem is when I get it in there I can't lift the bar far enough to attach the end links. If you need pics to know what I am talking about I can get them but I'm not sure if it is supposed to be hump side up or down. By the way I got the bar from the GP like most of the others here. Thanks
Thursday, April 13, 2006 7:33 PM
I put mine face down. As long as its in there it won't make a difference which direction it faces.

Go Go OG Traction!!
Thursday, April 13, 2006 7:35 PM

Thursday, April 13, 2006 8:11 PM
Alright thanks guys got that much taken care of. Last question i promise.... In order to remove the strut mount bolt did you guys use power tools? All I have is hand tools right now and it won't budge at all. I have access to power tools but they are about 2 hours away and I am really wanting to get this installed. Thanks
Thursday, April 13, 2006 8:34 PM
I used a ratchet and socket with a piece of pipe for more leverage.

Go Go OG Traction!!
Friday, April 14, 2006 3:31 AM
breaker bar works nicely too.

Friday, April 14, 2006 4:01 AM
Andrew Rodger (PwNeD) wrote:hopefully these 2 pics help you out enough

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/blackyk/Body%20Kit%20Pics/IMG_0699.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/blackyk/Body%20Kit%20Pics/IMG_0697.jpg

HEY! Those are my pics. Glad my pics could be used in reference. The rear took me about 45 minutes by myself. It would have been a breeze but I couldn't the trailing arm bolts out for about 30 minutes lol. But the sway bar was an amazing upgrade to the suspension. Wild Weisel has a great website about installing the rear sway bar, much better than the hand drawn instructions I got ...

Friday, April 14, 2006 6:14 AM
Do you have to support anything when you drop the subframe?

I'll be doing my front bar tonight so It'll be in there for the autox on Saturday.

-Chris

Friday, April 14, 2006 7:37 AM
I didn't. I was worried that I would need to support the whole thing but at first i only took out 4 bolts and loosened the other two and i could move the subframe up and down by hand so I decided I could take out the remaining towo bolts without supporting it. It just hangs there by the control arms about three inches down. then it just raised back up with a jack and lined itself up.

Go Go OG Traction!!
Friday, April 14, 2006 8:11 AM
Yeah there needs to be some clarification.

These recent bars install like the RK Sport or Eibach 22mm bars.
Hump side down and no drilling.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Friday, April 14, 2006 8:39 AM
http://www.personal.psu.edu/wzb100/sway/

there are some very very nice pictures of my rk sport bar i put on years ago, i also have a complete walk through for the front if needed

Its not how fast your car goes....its how much nerve the driver has to push it that fast.
Saturday, April 22, 2006 4:59 PM
Just installed.....
All I can say:
Neutral!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111one!!!11!!!!

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Sunday, April 23, 2006 2:29 PM
yeah, I have just the rear bar on mine and it is a huge difference. The car actually turns through the corners and I can get the back to come out pretty easy. I autocrossed it today and it felt so much better than when I was on completely stock suspension. The rear even wanted to come out a little during the sweeping left hander, but nothing major.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 9:22 PM
My Pics:
Take links off:

Subframe:
Front bolts just above axle:

Second bolts just behind control arm:

Last bolts near exhaust:

It doesn't need support, I actually had to pry down on mine to get it down. Notice I used support anyway though.
Undo drivers side bolt and bracket:

Then passenger side:

Pull old bar out, compare for the fun:

There are two bolts on the rack&pinion, the drivers side bolt (15mm) needs to come out. Cut about 3/8" off of it, grind edges so it goes back in easier. Sorry, no pics.
Put new bar in:

Put bolts back in subframe. Put them in hand tight first, then tighten them all down.
Put new links in:

Spend the rest of the day smiling like a little girl cause your can't believe how much better your car handles.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 10:22 PM
Woot!!!! I had my first AutoX at the tire rack this weekend. Car did much better than I thought it would. I on the other hand need some practice. The sway bars made the car super easy to drive the course, rotation when I needed it, and push when I needed to scrub speed! I took 5 in STS out of 13. And I was the 5th fastest novice out of like 25 or something like that. I would have been 3rd in each if it weren't for that stupid cone in my way!!!

CTS- I was debating grinding that bolt down too, but I just put it back in and tightened it. I don't seem to be having any problems. Would you recommend grinding it down anyway?

Go Go OG Traction!!
Monday, April 24, 2006 8:53 AM
^Congrats and I agree.

Quote:

There are two bolts on the rack&pinion, the drivers side bolt (15mm) needs to come out. Cut about 3/8" off of it, grind edges so it goes back in easier.

Grinding is not necessary, but it needs to be pulled back in order for the bar to go in with no problem. Once the bar is installed, bolt it fully back in and you are set.

I thought the front end bar was going to be a lot worse, but in fact it was not bad at all.

One advice I will say. Have a buddy to help you on these bars, with out a second pair of hands I can see this becoming hectic.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 10:45 AM
I have the old design and the bar had a D bushing and that part more of less fit up in the axle. Plus i had to drill. The newer design looks like a breeze to put on. Mine was not a problem. Gave me the most improvement on my suspension. i did mine myself outside my apartment.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search